• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which card to upgrade too - Do I stick with Nvidia...

For 4K, you should aim for 7900XT/XTX or 4080/4090. Lower tier cards should be fine for few games, but won’t hold for longer.
I was keen on AMD, but initial pricing and availability was poor, went with the 4080. As I play single player 1440p, my priority is ultra everything :D
AMD have some better prices now. Not a “deal”, but better. Nvidia still charging MSRP and above.

The 7900xtx slightly outperforms the 4080at a much cheaper price point the only real deal breaker is the ray tracing performance where Nvidia excels.

So the question is Ray tracing a deal breaker for you ?

I'll need to look at some reviews of both. Ray tracing isn't much of a thing on my current 1080, so I don't actually know what I'm missing out on :cry:

Just a tip, never, EVER base a comparison on that website. They are anti AMD to the point of being trolls. For evidence just compare what they think of the Ryzen CPUs vs Intel ones, then have a look at a few other sites like Techpowerup etc and see what stands out.

Good to know, thank you.

Do you recommend any other comparison sites, or unbiased reviewers?

Good to know, thank you.

Techpowerup seem pretty balanced, Techspot too. In terms of YouTubers Gamer Nexus and Hardware Unboxed are my go to (Techspot has write ups of the latter's content, and the former have recently revamped their website). They don't have comparison tools in the same way, but their reviews include plenty of products in the results tables.

There are others but I'm struggling to think of them off the top of my head. It's always worth checking a slee of sites to get the full picture.

But yeah, Userbenchmark seem like a branch of Intel's marketing department. The 4080 can be a lot faster in RT and has the benefit of DLSS (superior to FSR2), where the XTX is generally a little faster in rasterisation performance, has more VRAM and is also a good chunk cheaper.

It really depends on what games you play/intend to, but either will be a massive upgrade and handle 4K well in most titles.

Last edited:
You're missing out a lot in my experience of Raytracing...

Cyberpunk,Ratchet and Clank,Alan Wake 2

Best Raytracing I've experienced has been Darktide. It really adds to the atmosphere with all the smoke, grime, heat effects, and general ambience and lighting in that game.

In a lot of games Raytracing is very definately an afterthought, there are starting to be a handful of games where it does add SOMETHING to the presentation though.

The GOOD thing though is whilst the Nvidia cards are definately better at raytracing, the 7900XTX is actually as fast, if not faster than the 3090s from last generation in Raytracing, so even if you go down that route, you'll be able to try it, Nvidia are just a generation of implementation ahead, but considering where AMD were in the previous generations, they're catching up.

Last edited:
Just a tip, never, EVER base a comparison on that website. They are anti AMD to the point of being trolls. For evidence just compare what they think of the Ryzen CPUs vs Intel ones, then have a look at a few other sites like Techpowerup etc and see what stands out.
Re that website.

It's clear they are anti AMD as per

"AMD’s Neanderthal marketing tactics seem to have come back to haunt them. Their brazen domination of social media platforms including youtube and reddit..." yada yada yada.

Question is are the benchmark results (as there are thousands of them) made up or "alterered" etc?

This is for the GPU benches, not looked on that site re CPU.

Re that website.

It's clear they are anti AMD as per

"AMD’s Neanderthal marketing tactics seem to have come back to haunt them. Their brazen domination of social media platforms including youtube and reddit..." yada yada yada.

Question is are the benchmark results (as there are thousands of them) made up or "alterered" etc?

This is for the GPU benches, not looked on that site re CPU.

I haven't checked the benchmarks but in their comparisons they give vague scores that don't show specific results. And end up with the 13900K outscoring the 7800X3D in gaming, when pretty much every other site has the AMD CPU with a slight advantage if not at least equal.

I'm brand agnostic (my current all AMD build was preceded by about 10 years of Intel/Nvidia combos) and want fair and accurate representations, or at least easily accessible benchmarks for me to make my own mind up (I read/watch conclusions but the data is what I base my purchasing decisions on, as everyone should).

I haven't checked the benchmarks but in their comparisons they give vague scores that don't show specific results. And end up with the 13900K outscoring the 7800X3D in gaming, when pretty much every other site has the AMD CPU with a slight advantage if not at least equal.

I'm brand agnostic (my current all AMD build was preceded by about 10 years of Intel/Nvidia combos) and want fair and accurate representations, or at least easily accessible benchmarks for me to make my own mind up (I read/watch conclusions but the data is what I base my purchasing decisions on, as everyone should).
tbh I just want to know if those user benchmarks are not user benchmarks etc

In gaming benchmarks, the 7800X3D beats a 14900K stock to stock most of the time, let alone a 13900K.

The fact that Userbench doesn't make that clear, given the price differential between the two, tells you they are not an unbiased site in the slightest.

They are useful for quick ballparking, but useless for any real data.

Last edited:
Good to know, thank you.

Yeah.....

These guys are ok.

Upuntil 2017 i had Intel CPU's, because they were in every measurable way better than anything AMD.

In 2017 i got a Ryzen 1600, Intel still had the lead in many areas, Slightly higher IPC and higher clocks, the AMD CPU was much more power efficient and had many more cores, 6 vs 4, that suited me, in having been happy with the 1600 i upgraded to the newer 3600 in 2019, its was much improved over the 1600 and more in line with Intel offerings in every way.

In 2020 i got a Ryzen 5800X, my options were 10900K or that, the 5800X was much more power efficient, much faster in games, has a higher IPC and despite the 10900K having 10 cores vs 8 for the 5800X the later was at least as good if not better in Multithteading, and it was cheaper.
Userbenchmark really really hated that CPU.

I still run that CPU now, more than 3 years on, its fantastic.

Likewise i have had nothing but Nvidia for the past 9 years, because AMD had nothing that i wanted, currently running an RTX 2070S, great GPU, its been good to me, but its time to upgrade, my choices are RTX 4070 or AMD 7800XT, to me the latter is a no brainer, its cheaper, its get more VRam, its a better all round GPU, IMO, AMD have come a long way, they offer good GPU's.

As has been said in this thread its not clear cut, there are pluses and minuses to both when compared to eachother, just don't let UserBenchmark influence your decisions, they really do actively hate AMD.

Last edited:
Upuntil 2017 i had Intel CPU's, because they were in every measurable way better than anything AMD.

In 2017 i got a Ryzen 1600, Intel still had the lead in many areas, Slightly higher IPC and higher clocks, the AMD CPU was much more power efficient and had many more cores, 6 vs 4, that suited me, in having been happy with the 1600 i upgraded to the newer 3600 in 2019, its was much improved over the 1600 and more in line with Intel offerings in every way.

In 2020 i got a Ryzen 5800X, my options were 10900K or that, the 5800X was much more power efficient, much faster in games, has a higher IPC and despite the 10900K having 10 cores vs 8 for the 5800X the later was at least as good if not better in Multithteading, and it was cheaper.
Userbenchmark really really hated that CPU.

I still run that CPU now, more than 3 years on, its fantastic.

Likewise i have had nothing but Nvidia for the past 9 years, because AMD had nothing that i wanted, currently running an RTX 2070S, great GPU, its been good to me, but its time to upgrade, my choices are RTX 4070 or AMD 7800XT, to me the latter is a no brainer, its cheaper, its get more VRam, its a better all round GPU, IMO, AMD have come a long way, they offer good GPU's.

As has been said in this thread its not clear cut, there are pluses and minuses to both when compared to eachother, just don't let UserBenchmark influence your decisions, they really do actively hate AMD.

Thanks for that. I think I need to open my eyes a lot more to AMD. I'm from the generation where they just couldn't touch Intel, and the same for ATI with GPUs before AMD bought them.

Within the next year, I will probably also upgrade my motherboard and CPU, so I will definitely be looking into AMD now as a viable option.

I'll need to look at some reviews of both. Ray tracing isn't much of a thing on my current 1080, so I don't actually know what I'm missing out on :cry:
I would highly advise against RDNA 3 at this budget. They are simply too weak in the top-end aspects. Stick to Nvidia for sure. And I say that as someone who has only bought Radeon GPUs since the 3dfx days.

As for RT, a fav gif of mine I've been using for a long time to show the differences (particularly for lighting):
12dkTmQ.gif

But the really obvious difference during normal gameplay is for sure anything water related (and that applies to all games with RT reflections):
BYOLsGl.gif

And those are regular RT examples. No Pathtracing (which tbh I'd avoid even on a 4090; too many issues imo but it's a longer discussion and a bit subjective).

Back
Top Bottom