• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which card?

Associate
Greetings all

I currently have a ATI x850 pro and am looking to upgrade, I'm looking to spend up to £200 on GFX.

Running 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and have a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium MB.

I will also be getting the new TT Kandalf case so the GFX will be water cooled and I intend to overclock, any suggestions as to what fits the bill?

Permabanned
Scutter said:
Greetings all

I currently have a ATI x850 pro and am looking to upgrade, I'm looking to spend up to £200 on GFX.

Running 19" LCD at 1280x1024 and have a ASUS A8N-SLI Premium MB.

I will also be getting the new TT Kandalf case so the GFX will be water cooled and I intend to overclock, any suggestions as to what fits the bill?

given the resolution you game at, the X1800XT 256mb would be more suited to your needs, but if you have money to burn then the X1900XT is also a good option though at present will have more power than your require which could be a good thing in the long run.

Permabanned
Scutter said:
Thanks

Will probably go with the nVidia as if it gives me the option for a cheap change to SLi if I ever need to.

are you intending on getting a 24" or larger LCD at some point :confused: if not then SLI / Crossfire is wasted on you. any resolution at 1600 x 1200 or less is capable of being supported by a single card solution these days, to buy an SLI system for anything less would be a waste of money.

i personally also think the GTO is a bad choice as the X1900XT keeps up with it in most areas and beats it in others, plus you can have HDR with Anti aliasing which you cant do on any Nvidia card and ATi has been proven to have far better image quality as proven by X-bit labs,

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/quality_vs_quantity.html

Soldato
I dont think the 7900GTO is a wise decision if ever thinking of going SLI, as from what i know they are a limited run & will likely be harder to find than their counterparts. The 7950GT, whilst not as fast is far more common.

But then if not going SLI - get the X1900XT ;)

Back
Top Bottom