Which cooler for this setup?

Soldato
Hey guys, just a quick query in what cooler you would go for? Looking to get an i5 3570K soon along with a Gigabyte Z77-D3H but have heard that some heatsink/fans will block up the RAM sockets and I was looking at some standard height memory,modes anyone have a good,medficient cooler they'd recommend that won't interfere with the RAM sockets?

Thanks!

Soldato
Stick with air. Corsair & problem are both 7 letter words.. and really do go together. ;)

What case? Cases that will take 165-170mm coolers will allow twin tower coolers with 140mm fan over normal RAM.. Have Crucial Ballistix Sport with Phanteks in and R2 no problem.

IC3

IC3

Soldato
YOUR BASKET
1 x **B Grade** Noctua NH-D14-2011 Dual Radiator CPU Cooler with PWM Fans (Socket LGA2011) £41.98
Total : £51.88 (includes shipping : £8.25).

Hmm?

If you did wanted to go ready WC than this YOUR BASKET
1 x OcUK Tech Labs - H2O Performance Intel Liquid Cooling Solution (Socket LGA1155/LGA1156/LGA1366/2011) £39.98
- 1 x Thermalright Chill Factor 3 Tube (4g) Thermal Paste £4.99
- 1 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM - 3 Pin £14.98
- 1 x Scythe Gentle Typhoon 120mm 1850 RPM - 3 Pin £14.98
Total : £84.83 (includes shipping : £8.25).

Last edited:
Associate
I have the same problem, just bought 4 modules of Corsair Vengeance but my arctic cooling freezer 7 hangs over two of my sockets. This might sound stupid, but does it matter which way the cooler sits? As if the fan was facing the other way it'd be fine. Or do I need a new cooler?

Associate
That B-Grade 2011 D-14 doesn't support his 1155 board? Better off getting the standard new all socket D-14. It won't block any ram slots. If you have really tall ram then you can raise the front fan but with normal modules the front fan will sit ontop of them nicely. I have Samsung green and there is loads of space under the front fan.

Soldato
I have the same problem, just bought 4 modules of Corsair Vengeance but my arctic cooling freezer 7 hangs over two of my sockets. This might sound stupid, but does it matter which way the cooler sits? As if the fan was facing the other way it'd be fine. Or do I need a new cooler?

Not the most efficient. It will create turbulence, but then again, if the temps and noise are all right, then no worries.

If you need a small cheap cooler, the True Spirit 120M should fit without RAM interference. It's not a high performance cooler, but significantly better than the stock cooler, or the Freezer 7.

In most cases, all air cooler will interfere with vengeance RAMs. Safest bet is a liquid cooler, but more expensive.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Thanks for the advice! I'm not looking at any RAM like the Vengeance, just the TeamElite memory with the standard heatspreaders, but someone told me most performance coolers would cause an issue with even those and that I'd need to go for low profile memory!

Soldato
Ram in the 32mm tall range will fit under almost all coolers.

120mm fan on top of 32mm tall RAM will fit in most cases. (152mm total)

140mm fan on top 32mm RAM will not fit in many cases (172mm total)

Associate
Is it possible to just fit a different fan to the existing heatsink? The artic colling fan is quite fat. Would that be an option?

Soldato
Yes, you can turn cooler around but then your airflow will be back to front. Which means you would probably need to turn other fans in your case around to reverse airflow direction.

Is it possible to just fit a different fan to the existing heatsink? The artic colling fan is quite fat. Would that be an option?
Anything is possible. Question is how much effort and how skilled are you? :D

You say the fan overhangs RAM. As long as everything fits there is no problem.

Fan and cooler overhang 4 of my 6 RAM slots; 2 of my 3 RAM sticks.

Associate
But does the heat have to be directed to the vents at the back? I'm new to PC building but I managed this far and I'm sure I can manage with anything else.

The overhang is fine at the moment, but I have bought some Vengeance RAM that will not fit under it. I'm thinking a new slimmer cooler will be the best option. Can't afford water cooling just yet.

Soldato
Heat has to be directed out of case.
You want to keep hot exhaust separate for cooling air in case. That means getting it out of case as quick as possible. You want cool outside air to flow to cooler and heated exhaust flowing out of case. Think of it as a river of air.

Back
Top Bottom