Which? Dentist

Associate
Hi team,

I find myself in need a root canal and I understand from my dentist the NHS option is extraction.

They also tell me that this particular tooth accounts for 60% of my chewing function (I guess the implication is that extraction may be a bad idea).

Dentist tells me they have someone who will do the root canal privately for something like £950.

I'm looking at what I want to do, perhaps I might even look at an implant.

Anyway, my question of the forum is how do you select a good private dentist when the NHS fails you? Can't seem to find very much by way of who's a charlatan and who knows what they are doing.

Man of Honour
Hi team,

I find myself in need a root canal and I understand from my dentist the NHS option is extraction.

They also tell me that this particular tooth accounts for 60% of my chewing function (I guess the implication is that extraction may be a bad idea).

Dentist tells me they have someone who will do the root canal privately for something like £950.

I'm looking at what I want to do, perhaps I might even look at an implant.

Anyway, my question of the forum is how do you select a good private dentist when the NHS fails you? Can't seem to find very much by way of who's a charlatan and who knows what they are doing.
The NHS option should not be extraction, it is either a band 2 or 3 root canal treatment (£65 or £280 ish, molars fall into the upper band)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
The NHS option should not be extraction, it is either a band 2 or 3 root canal treatment (£65 or £280 ish, molars fall into the upper band)
Agreed - and that's what I thought. Then I read this: https://dentalchoices.org/root-canal-treatment/ and other similar sources.

Seems that the NHS deal for dentists is so poor that they just don't bother with root canals on back teeth.

Sure I can complain, but that still won't get me a root canal and will just really annoy my NHS dentist.

Soldato
Ask for a second opinion from another dentist. It sounds to me your dentist just doesn't want to do the root canal and just wants to do a nice and easy extraction.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
That sounds really expensive even for a private dentist... Sure I only paid about 300 for root treatment and crown.
That's going back about 5 years though.
I'm in Hampshire and need a molar done.

From a bit of reading I'm in an expensive area and also need an expensive tooth sorted.

How did your choose your dentist if you don't mind my asking?

Caporegime
Check your company perks. I pay £15 a month for dental cover which will cover the first £1500 of any dental surgery I might need. Many companies do this, but are a bit shy to offer it as every claim ups their costs.

Associate
OP
Check your company perks. I pay £15 a month for dental cover which will cover the first £1500 of any dental surgery I might need. Many companies do this, but are a bit shy to offer it as every claim ups their costs.
Thank you, great advice. I had checked and despite paying for private medical it doesn't cover dentistry and there is no other dental offer through work

Caporegime
Thank you, great advice. I had checked and despite paying for private medical it doesn't cover dentistry and there is no other dental offer through work

Exhaust all your options, I have private medical too which doesn't cover dentistry, my dental cover was a separate thing I had to actively seek out for the reason mentioned above.

Soldato
I'm in Hampshire and need a molar done.

From a bit of reading I'm in an expensive area and also need an expensive tooth sorted.

How did your choose your dentist if you don't mind my asking?

Kinda by chance really, was googling local ones that made an effort to reassure nervous patients on thier websites and read some testimonials.

Soldato
( subscribe - can't remember to look at a thread ?)

A lot of cambridge private dentists are part of bigger companies with fixed rates mines '{my}dentist'. - private prices aren't a lottery;
I'd ask neighbours which specific dentist they see, or say which town in unlikely event someone lives there.

Back
Top Bottom