which distro

Soldato
Hi all,

i've been away form linux for a while but I need to set up a test server for my wife at home. It needs to have apache, MySQl, PHP and all the other bits and pieces to host web sites (on my internal network). Target hardware will be old, a P233 with 128Mb of memory so I'm guessing that X is out of the question but possibly not ??? I can probably get hold of a bit more memory for it if I need to but I'd rather not bother tbh.

Can anyone recomend me a distro that will install from CD and install all of the above for me? Ideally I'd like a web interface for administering MySQL, Apache etc as well as easy upload of files to sites.

cheers me dears ;)

Paul

Soldato
OP
I'm just downloading the fedora release 4 CD ISOs as I wanted t make a start. The last time I installed a Linux variant (when a P233 was cutting edge hardware) the redhat installer had a server install option there. What I'm really after is a bung the CD in, select PHP, Apache + mySQL installas and get a working server up and running.

I presume the ones that you've listed have that available, I'll go and investigate...

HT

Soldato
OP
well i have a ubuntu serverinstall running.

that will be a really minimalistic aproach then :0

no apache, no php, no mysql nothoing

how do i get them using apt-get guys? or should i have installed red har
t?

ta ht

Soldato
OP
right this is a pain in the bottom. I'm going to ask my original question again.

i've been away form linux for a while but I need to set up a test server for my wife at home. It needs to have apache, MySQl, PHP and all the other bits and pieces to host web sites (on my internal network). Target hardware will be old, a P233 with 128Mb of memory so I'm guessing that X is out of the question but possibly not ??? I can probably get hold of a bit more memory for it if I need to but I'd rather not bother tbh.

Can anyone recomend me a distro that will install from CD and install all of the above for me? I'd like a web interface for administering MySQL, Apache etc as well as easy upload of files to sites.

Thanks in advance

Paul

Caporegime
CentOS. It's pretty much the only platform supported by ISVs, so that means if you want a nice fancy thing like Darwin Streaming Server (the free version of QuickTime server), you can use it! This is as opposed to something like Debian, where the community is pretty much opposed to anything that isn't totally "free". Don't use Fedora Core, it's a horrible abortion that Red Hat inflict on people to get feedback on whether stuff works or not. Most of the time it doesn't.

Last edited:
Caporegime
Caged said:
CentOS. It's pretty much the only platform supported by ISVs, so that means if you want a nice fancy thing like Darwin Streaming Server (the free version of QuickTime server), you can use it! This is as opposed to something like Debian, where the community is pretty much opposed to anything that isn't totally "free". Don't use Fedora Core, it's a horrible abortion that Red Hat inflict on people to get feedback on whether stuff works or not. Most of the time it doesn't.

Not sure how well CentOS will run on his hardware. Besides, he hasn't made any requirements that are non-free in any way, so I still don't get why Ubuntu server is inadequate.

Soldato
OP
I guess I was hoping to have a little bit more installed by default with a server install. anyway I guess a bare minimum install is the way forward. I'm looking at packages that will enable me (well my wife) to configure apache via a web interface. Ideally if she could upload files onto it and have the web sites appear that would be best. I've installed webmin so I'll have a play with that tonight and see if I can get it running :confused:

I'll get the network up again when I get home and see how I get on. It's going to be in internal server so no worries really about the security and stuff like that.

I guess I'll try to stick it out with ubuntu now it's installed, I have to say the apt-get system is ace if a little confusing, is there a way I can get a list of available packages is each / all of the repositories?

I'm going to try and avoid fedora if I can the machine just won't hack runing PHP driven web sites and X at the same time. wrt the gardware it's only reporting 64Mb even though it's got 4 32 Mb sticks in it. I'm sure those sticks were OK back in the day when it was my bleeding edge games box.

Any help / advice / recomentded packages welcomed.

HT

Soldato
OP
before I go and blow away my almost working ubuntu server install can you confirm that a centos install will include all the things I need to run a local web server?

Ta Paul

Soldato
Ubuntu would be perfect. I've set up a vmware server with ubuntu with apache2, php5, mysql and php admin.

If you follow the wiki guides above you can't really go wrong. Which part are you struggling with?

Soldato
OP
Not strugling as such just after being recomended it I was a bit surprised with having to apt-get all of the basic (in my opinion) server packages, I've got vsftpd, apache2 and PHP5 installed and working I think I've got phpmyadmin and webmin installed but I just need to configure them and set up some ftp user access to directories that are served out via apache.

I do have some other issues like after a reboot the eth0 interface doesn't come up and I'm missing line 1 and col 1 from my display which is more than a little bit annoying :(

thread in the support forms here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?p=998274#post998274

I'll get there in the end, I think I'm going totry to stick it out with ubuntu for the learning experience if nothing else.

could I install telnet and do this via a telnet window on my usual desktop?

HT

Soldato
OP
I didn't even turn the PCs at home on last night, I decided to go kiting instead but that guide looks fantastic, tbh I'm tempted to follow it on a new install if I can't get webmin up and running tonight. Thanks for the link

Paul

Associate
HI,

getting webmin up and running on ubuntu can be a bit of a challange. The way i've ended up doing it now on installs is to enable the ROOT password before installing webmin, by doing :-

#sudo passwd root

then at least you don't have to start copying password keys around from one place to another.

Also i think you may have to alter one of the webmin files to allow access from more than just 127.0.0.1. The file that needs altering is in /etc/webmin (from memory)

Not got access to a ubuntu install at the moment to confirm / check which file needs altering.

Cheers
Deano

Back
Top Bottom