Which engine for original Doom?

Soldato
Check out quake champions Doom edition. It's an amazing mod !!

https://www.moddb.com/mods/quake-champions-doom-edition

QCDE_9.png

Last edited:
Soldato
Just tried Brutal Doom, what the hell its insane. Very cool weapons and the enemies seem different somehow, been a long time since i played doom 2, suprising what you can remember. Shotgun sound is still satisfying.

Man of Honour

Some of the jump tricks will offend the purists but that is an impressive running of the map - I've seen very high level players lose their minds on hurt me plenty never mind UV on that map.

Caporegime
Same here, although I do occasionally play something halfway in between, nevertheless, that's some impressive skills there.

I've never been interested in speed-running or insane difficulty in games as I like to enjoy the atmosphere and where applicable, a story.

Though now and again, it's nice to whizz through something faster than per normal but I don't think I could ever manage half of what is shown in that video.

Soldato
Same here, although I do occasionally play something halfway in between, nevertheless, that's some impressive skills there.

Yep. I like to play on second to hardest difficult usually but those are some great skills. Id probably be dead on the first Arch-vile

Soldato
OP

One of the things I really like about the original Doom is that good levels reward intelligent play. You can set the monsters fighting each other and while they're fighting you can pick up the key or goodies or whatnot. And then kill off the survivors. Take E3M8 - the spider mastermind level - on a pistol start. Sure there's sufficient ammo for you to kill everything on your own but it's far more elegant IMHO to nudge right, activating the spider then run left so the demons infight, and if you're very lucky the baron will kill the spider for you. Similarly E2M9 on a pistol start: activate the barons, run through the door, then run around activating the cacodemons, then run back so they infight the barons, then pick up the goodies and kill whatever is left. Elegant.

Man of Honour
I'm not really a fan of slaughter maps.

Yeah a little bit is fun but once it gets to the point of grinding down whole rooms with the BFG I kind of switch off.

Yep. I like to play on second to hardest difficult usually but those are some great skills. Id probably be dead on the first Arch-vile

I can watch a play through like that, understand the strategy and mimic it - but if say the map randomly got mixed up I'd struggle.

Soldato
Yeah a little bit is fun but once it gets to the point of grinding down whole rooms with the BFG I kind of switch off.

I can watch a play through like that, understand the strategy and mimic it - but if say the map randomly got mixed up I'd struggle.
He's probably practiced that map a lot and died many times before 'finding' a strategy that works. I think if the map randonly got mixed up, he would struggle too

Man of Honour
He's probably practiced that map a lot and died many times before 'finding' a strategy that works. I think if the map randonly got mixed up, he would struggle too

Definitely the management of triggers, knowledge of secrets, etc. comes from playing that map a lot - you need more than just practise to understand how to play a map at that level though.

Back
Top Bottom