Which fans where - Cool wings and Silencio fans

Associate
So - my build came with a pair of Coolmaster Silencio FP 120 PMW fans (one intake and one exhaust).

I have bought 2 x Be Quiet Cool Wings 3 120mm PWM fans to add.

Im going to run 2 intake and 2 exhaust (rear and top-rear), but each pair from a single header (one header to each pair).

I THINK I have things right, from reading the specs but want to double check. The front fans have the air filter, and the case front )(*and sound dampening) where as the exhausts have no covers, no filter and no dampening. From this I believe I want the quietest fans on the back (from a noise perspective) while the front ones should have the highest airflow and pressure.

From specs then - I want the Silent wings at the front, and the Silencios at the back - specs are:

Coolwings: Speed up to 1450 rpm, Airflow (max) 50.5, Air Pressure (max) 1.79, Noise (max) 16.dba
Silencio: Speed up to 1400 rpm, Airflow (max) 44, Air Pressure (Max) 1.69, Noise (max) 14 dba

From those the Silent wings have more air flow and pressure (ideal for the front) while the Silencios are the quieter fan (ideal for the back).

This is my first time sorting this type of stuff and and just wanted to double check myself.

Thanks

Soldato
Should work, but keep in mind the intake vents have many times more resistance than exhaust vents, so even though Silent Wings 3 are better at flowing air they might not be able to move as much air into case as Silencios flow out and any additional air coming into case will bring dust in with it. You can check this with an incense stick by PCIe back slot covers. If smoke moves toward vents, intake fans are not keeping up with exhaust, if smoke moves away you are fine. What case do you have?

Associate
OP
Yeh - but I have a fifth 140mm silent wings thats going on the top/front as well. That should more than make up for the resistance on the front fans - but as per my other thread Im still debating if that should be exhaust or intake. If its Exhaust then Ill be pulling quite a bit more air out than Im pushing in with the unfiltered coming in via case holes. As the biggest gaps are in the floor of the case, and at the bottom rear (where the empty bays are) that might not be a bad thing though.

Soldato
Any top fan between front of case and CPU cooler is probably better off as intake. We don't want an exhaust in that area because it will draw the cool air coming in the front right out the top before it reaches CPU cooler .. and at same time draw heated air coming out of GPU (GPUs dump heated air in all directions) up into airflow to CPU cooler.

Associate
OP
Yeh - Pretty much what I was thinking. This will be a slower running 140mm fan anyway - its not blowing hard like the exhausts, and is more of a "help" to the main front fans.

Soldato
If top grill is all the way to front and no 5.25, I would place fan as close to front as possible and put a curved divider the width of case from front of fan down 4-5" to turn the airflow that is coming down from fan back toward cooler. How far down the divider goes depends on how high top-most front fan is. We don't want to be pushing it's airflow down.

Permabanned
So - my build came with a pair of Coolmaster Silencio FP 120 PMW fans (one intake and one exhaust).

I have bought 2 x Be Quiet Cool Wings 3 120mm PWM fans to add.

Im going to run 2 intake and 2 exhaust (rear and top-rear), but each pair from a single header (one header to each pair).

I THINK I have things right, from reading the specs but want to double check. The front fans have the air filter, and the case front )(*and sound dampening) where as the exhausts have no covers, no filter and no dampening. From this I believe I want the quietest fans on the back (from a noise perspective) while the front ones should have the highest airflow and pressure.

From specs then - I want the Silent wings at the front, and the Silencios at the back - specs are:Varders.

Coolwings: Speed up to 1450 rpm, Airflow (max) 50.5, Air Pressure (max) 1.79, Noise (max) 16.dba
Silencio: Speed up to 1400 rpm, Airflow (max) 44, Air Pressure (Max) 1.69, Noise (max) 14 dba

From those the Silent wings have more air flow and pressure (ideal for the front) while the Silencios are the quieter fan (ideal for the back).

This is my first time sorting this type of stuff and and just wanted to double check myself.

Thanks
Not sure why you would pick any of those over the EK Varders as they have much better stats. Bear in mind the higher noise level is due to it being able to spin faster, at normal speeds I’d imagine they will be similar noise wise.

Max Air Flow: 77 CFM = 131 m³/h
- Static Pressure: 3.16mm H2O = 31 Pa
- Sleeved cable length: 300 mm
- Noise Level: 33.5 dBA

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-w...black-bb-500-2200rpm-fan-120mm-wc-9gb-ek.html

Associate
I've been through multiple vardar fans, 120mm and 140mm. Many of them ended up clicking / rattling (not the pwm clicking at low speed) or making a grinding noise after a short period of use. This got progressively worse. Out of 4 120mm fans, 3 ended up doing this. 2 140mm fans did the same. I don't really rate their QC at all and will be going elsewhere for future fan purchases. I do however run a slow spinning watercooling build so I'm sensitive to the noise.

This can be temporarily alleviated by pulling the fan blade off and sort of... re-seating the bearing, it moves out of position. But it comes back. Had some warranty replacements but they did the same thing.

I ended up trying Arctic P12 PWM CO fans. (PST or non PST. It's just a pass through to daisy chain more fans). I replaced my 120mm fans with these and I have been very happy with them.

Just a warning, obviously this is my own anecdotal evidence.

Last edited:
Soldato
What Pasley said. Lots of Vardar owners have had problems with them.

I haven't used Arctic P series, but have use Arctic F series and found them a decent for a low priced fans. Arctic P are £5.95-6.95 each, but if you shop around they are a little less each in 5 packs

Probably the best as be quiet! Silent Wings 3, but they are also one of the most expensive at £18.95-20.99 each.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/search?sSearch=silent+wings+3

Phanteks PH-F120MP and PH-F140MP in 2-packs are quite good and only £14.99 & £16.26.
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...120mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-002-pt.html
https://www.overclockers.co.uk/two-...140mm-fan-radiator-performance-bu-003-pt.html

Associate
The P Series CO fans area little more expensive. The CO is "Continuous Operation". The bearing is different. I'm happy with them, they move a decent amount of air pulling through the rad and I find the noise they make to be more than reasonable. They have a nice "pitch" to them.

But yeah they are great for what they cost. The Silent Wings are very good.

Permabanned
I had one out of 4 Varder fans fail the other 3 have been running flawlessly for a few years now.

The one that went faulty overclockers swapped for a 140mm phanteks case fan which is pretty decent.

Back
Top Bottom