• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which GPU setup for an 8700k build

Associate
Hi folks, I’m starting an 8700k build this weekend and not sure what GPU setup to use. I have a 6700k rig at the moment with 2 Titan XP’s (not Xp!), I’m keeping this rig so I picked up a 1080Ti. I’m not sure whether to just go with the single 1080Ti in the 8700k build or swap out the Titans and have an SLI setup.

I know SLI support is dropping off big time and I probably won’t do it again next GPU generation. Any thoughts are hugely welcome! Cheers!

Soldato
So when you say you have 2 x Titan XP's then you mean the first Pascal Titan. I don't see why you would have bought a 1080ti in the first place as it's no faster than an original Titan Pascal. You sort of complicated the matter as you could have just got rid of one Titan or decided to keep it for SLI.

I assume you probably mean 2 x Maxwell Titan X's which then i would keep the 1080ti due to Sli not being worth it.

Associate
Well with that sort of budget it should only be a 1080ti. Are you asking if you should swap your Titan XP SLI from your 6700k to your 8700k build? That's what I would do, as you're matching the best CPU with GPU.

I wouldn't get another 1080ti for SLI, as not many games properly support the feature.

Associate
OP
Thanks, that’s exactly it, wondering if I should move the Titan XP SLI to the 8700k build. I think that’s what I’ll do now. Last time I’ll do SLI though, when the next gen GPUs arrive I’ll stick with single card configs

Back
Top Bottom