• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Graphics card upgrade?

Associate
Hi, I'm looking on upgrading my son's computer and seeking some advice on what graphics card i should upgrade him for around £70, considering the modest system he has.

PU Type Intel Celeron D 345J, 3066 MHz (23 x 133)

Motherboard Name Foxconn 661M03-G (3 PCI, 1 AGP, 2 DDR DIMM, Audio, Video, LAN, IEEE-1394)

System Memory 1024 MB (Kingston PC3200 DDR SDRAM)
Video Adapter R9200SE-DT - (128 MB)
3D Accelerator ATI Radeon 9200 SE (RV280)

ty

Associate
for that budget you can get either an x1600 pro or 7600 gs available on the website for around 70. or you could try and source a second hand x850 agp from an auction site for around this price.

Associate
I bought a 7600GS and regretted it tbh. This was purley because the GT's were only £20 more but don't get me wrong, the GS is a great card (highly overclockable too :D ) but the GT annhililates it ;)

Depends on usage I guess, i.e. which games he wants to play and at what settings. maybe the GT is overkill for the celeron processor.

If you went for either the GT or GS, It'll be a HUGE improvement over what you have :D :eek:

Associate
Cairnsey said:
I bought a 7600GS and regretted it tbh. This was purley because the GT's were only £20 more but don't get me wrong, the GS is a great card (highly overclockable too :D ) but the GT annhililates it ;)

Sell it, the GTs are cheaper than they were...

Cairnsey said:
Depends on usage I guess, i.e. which games he wants to play and at what settings. maybe the GT is overkill for the celeron processor.

Although benchmarks are split between CPU and GPU, most games are GPU bound in all but the slowest CPUs (or the fastest GPUs).

Cairnsey said:
If you went for either the GT or GS, It'll be a HUGE improvement over what you have :D :eek:

2nd'd

Associate
melbourne720 said:
Sell it, the GTs are cheaper than they were...

I RMA'd it because it was Overclockers got it wrong and advertised it as 800Mhz memory when in fact its only 700Mhz, they read the figure for RAMDAC. Plus I was within the 7 days of buying it so returned it as unwanted :p

Now, I don't know whether to buy the x1950 pro or just the 7600GT until I do a full upgrade :confused: Concerned about power reqiurements for x1950 pro, however, if i return it within 7 days...... :cool:

Associate
playing BF2142 at the mo.. thinking of upgrading to one of those asrock boards so i can keep all my components bar the CPU, which will be a e4300 :) But then I'd have the PCI-e option...

Associate
sorry for hijacking but what would be your upgrade route melborne, if you were me? would you first:

1) Get a good AGP card (x1950 Pro) and see how I get on with new games like bf2142 ut2007 etc

2) Get the mobo and c2d and stick with my old 9700pro until a cheap dx10 card comes out?

or any other suggestions? :confused: :confused:

Back
Top Bottom