Which headphones/mic/dac?

Associate
Hey all

Looking for a new audio setup up to £300 all in which includes headphones, mic and dac if needed.

I currently have a pair of DT880's with Modmic 4 and Fulla Schiit but I'm getting tired of the amount of cables all over my desk to run these. The DT880's whilst great (albeit a bit bright at times) and comfy sadly don't have a detachable cable and adding the modmic into the mix just makes things worse with trailing cables everywhere.

I'd prefer to stick with an open back headphone but open to suggestions. They will be used mainly for gaming and music.

Thanks

Soldato
Good option might be headphones with a detachable cable to which you can add a V-Moda boom pro mic. That would limit your choice of headphones with a 3.5mm connection, but would mean just the one cable.

For gaming, AKG K702 are probably the best choice, but they use mini XLR connector. You'd need an adaptor to use the boom pro mic, which does add bulk. I have seen some people that do that though.

I was thinking of Sennheiser HD5x9, but I think they have a 2.5mm connection. Also I think Sennheiser use a twist lock design, so a standard cable may not fit anyway.

Only other open headphones I can think of with a detachable cable, is Philips Fidelio X2. They have a 3.5mm connection, so easy to use with a boom pro mic. The negative is the cost; they are expensive here at the moment. £100 more in the UK than if bought from the US. Good headphones, but likely not worth spending £270 on.

Not sure what your other options would be; other than to maybe use some ties or braid the microphone and headphone cable together.

Associate
OP
Good option might be headphones with a detachable cable to which you can add a V-Moda boom pro mic. That would limit your choice of headphones with a 3.5mm connection, but would mean just the one cable.

For gaming, AKG K702 are probably the best choice, but they use mini XLR connector. You'd need an adaptor to use the boom pro mic, which does add bulk. I have seen some people that do that though.

I was thinking of Sennheiser HD5x9, but I think they have a 2.5mm connection. Also I think Sennheiser use a twist lock design, so a standard cable may not fit anyway.

Only other open headphones I can think of with a detachable cable, is Philips Fidelio X2. They have a 3.5mm connection, so easy to use with a boom pro mic. The negative is the cost; they are expensive here at the moment. £100 more in the UK than if bought from the US. Good headphones, but likely not worth spending £270 on.

Not sure what your other options would be; other than to maybe use some ties or braid the microphone and headphone cable together.

Thanks Marsman.

I've looked at these options already and the 702's or 598's would have worked but both need a iffy work around for the v moda boompro.

I could keep the 880's and the modmic and cable manage but it would be good to have a dac/amp with mic input as the fulla schiit has headphone input only, then I have to plug the mic into the PC.

why not just buy the sennheiser or audio technica gaming headsets with mic built in?

that means 1 wire instead of 2.

I've looked into the GSP 500's with the GSX 1000 amp but it always comes back to "gaming headsets" have poorer sound quality/comfort than headphones.

Soldato
I think a compromise that has to be made somewhere, whichever option you choose. Whether it be putting up with managing extra wires, or maybe sacrificing a bit of quality for the convenience of an all in one headset.

Having a sound card will mean it is certainly tidier and easier to manage than having a DAC, with having to run two cables to two different locations (DAC and presumably motherboard). It will have to be a sound card, because DACs are output only.

Creative SoundblasterX G6 is a good solid option though, if external is preferable.

Associate
OP
Agreed.

I've tried the Steelseries artctis pro wireless and the sound was nowhere near the same level as my DT880's so I know I can't have it all ways.

I like the look of the GSP 500's but without being able to try it it's difficult to know how it sounds/fits. Even though it has positive reviews the more audiophile people will say it's nowhere near as good as headphones. How true that is, I don't know. OCUK are doing a good deal on them with the GSX 1000 (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/senn...-and-gsx-1000-amplifier-bundle-bu-001-sn.html)

Reason I've mentioned external DAC/AMP is purely because I've read that is better due to less interference than having a sound card within the PC.

Soldato
I like the look of the GSP 500's but without being able to try it it's difficult to know how it sounds/fits. Even though it has positive reviews the more audiophile people will say it's nowhere near as good as headphones. How true that is, I don't know. OCUK are doing a good deal on them with the GSX 1000 (https://www.overclockers.co.uk/senn...-and-gsx-1000-amplifier-bundle-bu-001-sn.html)

Reason I've mentioned external DAC/AMP is purely because I've read that is better due to less interference than having a sound card within the PC.
Sennheiser Game One would be near best of HD500-serie and very capable for gaming.
And has less money spent on gaming bling bling ping pong look than GSP, which looks like going for methods used by gaming stuff to bloat price.
Though if you love Beyer's treble, that's likely missing.

GSX uses cheap Conexant DAC/output buffer chip meant for phones/tablets, so regardless of Sennheiser's pricing for it don't put that much of value for it.
https://prom-electric.ru/media/CX20745_ds.pdf
£30-40 budget/entry level sound cards have literally better D/A converters.
And you likely don't expect much of headphone amplifier from phone/tablet...
By same pricing Sound BlasterX G6 should cost way over £500, because it uses very high end DAC and has good headphone amplifier.

Lot more important than internal or external is good design.
Not much of different from Furmark and Prime:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/04/retro-measure-2002-lynx-l22-pci-audio.html
While worser design simply vacuums in interference, no matter where it is, especially if there's some worser interference source anywhere around.
That can be USB port itself.
That's why there are those USB isolators some people have needed to stop interference with these advertised to be better USB DACs.

Myself haven't yet managed to get interference out of internal sound cards in 25 years of PC hobby.
(except one card which was clearly breaking up after some five years)

Associate
You considered the Mod Mic Wireless? Would reduce the amount of wires and still leave you £200 for new headphones or new amp/dac.

Associate
What are your thought's on an XLR mic on a suspension arm? That's the option I went with because didn't want to deal with mod mic cable on top of a AKG712.

Soldato

It can be. With internal cards, dealing with interference can be a lot more troublesome. Largely, it comes down to the rest of the components used. It can be the luck of the draw. Some people get no interference with an internal sound card; some people get nothing but hassle.

Being external, a sound card will certainly be less prone to interference.

Associate
OP
Sennheiser Game One would be near best of HD500-serie and very capable for gaming.
And has less money spent on gaming bling bling ping pong look than GSP, which looks like going for methods used by gaming stuff to bloat price.
Though if you love Beyer's treble, that's likely missing.

GSX uses cheap Conexant DAC/output buffer chip meant for phones/tablets, so regardless of Sennheiser's pricing for it don't put that much of value for it.
https://prom-electric.ru/media/CX20745_ds.pdf
£30-40 budget/entry level sound cards have literally better D/A converters.
And you likely don't expect much of headphone amplifier from phone/tablet...
By same pricing Sound BlasterX G6 should cost way over £500, because it uses very high end DAC and has good headphone amplifier.

Lot more important than internal or external is good design.
Not much of different from Furmark and Prime:
http://archimago.blogspot.com/2017/04/retro-measure-2002-lynx-l22-pci-audio.html
While worser design simply vacuums in interference, no matter where it is, especially if there's some worser interference source anywhere around.
That can be USB port itself.
That's why there are those USB isolators some people have needed to stop interference with these advertised to be better USB DACs.

Myself haven't yet managed to get interference out of internal sound cards in 25 years of PC hobby.
(except one card which was clearly breaking up after some five years)

Thanks for the info, that's useful :)

You considered the Mod Mic Wireless? Would reduce the amount of wires and still leave you £200 for new headphones or new amp/dac.

I have had a look at wireless version, only concern is another item to charge and risk cutting out mid-session. It is a possibility though.

What are your thought's on an XLR mic on a suspension arm? That's the option I went with because didn't want to deal with mod mic cable on top of a AKG712.

I've looked a little into these but don't know a lot about them. I checked out the AT2020 briefly but I don't know how the setup works with picking up keyboard sounds etc. What do you use and how?

Soldato

I don't like headset mics but am ok with Vmoda's mic quality and one cable for everything. ModMic 5.0 has very good mic quality but additional cable, and as for the wireless unit I don't like charging mics or cans if I can help it. If headphone options compatible with Vmoda dry up, will probably try an XLR setup in future as well. Was surprised it doesn't have to cost all that much for very good quality. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32497228/

Interested in your own set-up too.

Associate
I don't like headset mics but am ok with Vmoda's mic quality and one cable for everything. ModMic 5.0 has very good mic quality but additional cable, and as for the wireless unit I don't like charging mics or cans if I can help it. If headphone options compatible with Vmoda dry up, will probably try an XLR setup in future as well. Was surprised it doesn't have to cost all that much for very good quality. https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/posts/32497228/

Interested in your own set-up too.

Yes it's very surprising how cheap XLR mics can be, I simply went for;

SUMGOTT Condenser Microphone with 3.5mm Jack
Tencro Professional Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm

Combined price was less than a Modmic 5.0 and it's easily tucked away on the desk when not in use. It's sensitive enough to run off the Ae-5 mic mic socket without requiring a dedicate phantom power unit. The clarity of sound is very good, I'm constantly complemented on how clear and clean it sounds when playing online.

Soldato
Yes it's very surprising how cheap XLR mics can be, I simply went for;

SUMGOTT Condenser Microphone with 3.5mm Jack
Tencro Professional Microphone Suspension Boom Scissor Arm

Combined price was less than a Modmic 5.0 and it's easily tucked away on the desk when not in use. It's sensitive enough to run off the Ae-5 mic mic socket without requiring a dedicate phantom power unit. The clarity of sound is very good, I'm constantly complemented on how clear and clean it sounds when playing online.

I bet. Cheers.

Back
Top Bottom