• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

which i5.

Associate
which i5 do i need to use on this board?

http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/Intel_Socket_1155/P8H61M_LE/#specifications

its been a while since i played with pc's and it was Q6600 etc so these i cores are new to me, and dont want to be selecting the wrong one

i know it says cpu support list tab but on there is shows a few being

Core i5-2300 (2.8G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

Core i5-2310 (2.9G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

Core i5-2390T(2.7G,L3:3M,iGPU,2C,HT,rev.Q0)

Core i5-2400 (3.1G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

Core i5-2400S(2.5G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

Core i5-2405S (2.5G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

Core i5-2500 (3.3G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

Core i5-2500K(3.3G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

Core i5-2500S(2.7G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

Core i5-2500T(2.3G,L3:6M,iGPU,4C,rev.D2)

i guess the 2500k, but want to be sure

also i know the q6600 had d0 stepping which made it the better cpu to OC so is the i5 2500k the same?

Last edited:

RJC

RJC

Don
Do you have a budget in mind?

Being a H61 board this does not usually allow for overclocking. You could go with the 2500k and this would mean if you upgrade the motherboard later to a P67 or Z68 board then you be able to overclock the cpu.

Associate
You wont be able to overclock the 2500k on that board but the price diff between it and the others is quite small, so id say go for that and change out the mobo later. Although if you wait a little bit longer the new amd bulldozer chips will be out, which for your interests should lower the price on all of those chips.....it should anyway...but might not...

bru

bru

Soldato
Well the board you linked too isn't available here on OCUK but the non LE variant is at £61.99 and else-were the LE variant is about £5 cheaper, and as has been said the H61 series doesn't allow any overclocking at all, whereas for an extra £20 or so you could have one of the P67 or Z68 boards which would allow you to overclock.

I'm my opinion it would be better to spend a bit more now rather than have to replace the motherboard at a latter date.

Soldato
as has been said the H61 series doesn't allow any overclocking at all.
But they do allow for overclocking, this is something that has been standard in most asus and other manufacturers motherboards for quite some time.

Can you explain why H61 motherboards don't allow overclocking and yet AsusTek have many overclocking features built into the H61?.

Caporegime
But they do allow for overclocking, this is something that has been standard in most asus and other manufacturers motherboards for quite some time.

Can you explain why H61 motherboards don't allow overclocking and yet AsusTek have many overclocking features built into the H61?.

Because only P67 & Z68 boards allow you to use the unlocked multiplier of the 2500K and 2600K for big overclocks.

H61 boards may allow a bit of overclocking using the Base Clock (but it's not advised to do it this way) and a bit of tweaking of the Turbo multipliers but those will get you nowhere near a "proper" overclock on a P67/Z68 motherboard.

Soldato
ok. what about this board?
http://www.biostar.com.tw/app/en/mb/content.php?S_ID=534
only other one i spotted, budget for cpu is what ever it costs but i5 2500k looks around the £130 mark
Intel 1155 Z68 chipset would be much better, it has Sata 6GB/s native so good for Sata 3 6GB/s solid state drive upgrade in the future, an all together better chipset, but what is your budget for a motherboard?.

Soldato
Because only P67 & Z68 boards allow you to use the unlocked multiplier of the 2500K and 2600K for big overclocks.

H61 boards may allow a bit of overclocking using the Base Clock (but it's not advised to do it this way) and a bit of tweaking of the Turbo multipliers but those will get you nowhere near a "proper" overclock on a P67/Z68 motherboard.
Yeah, i'm just saying most modern motherboard manufacturers have built in features for auto overclocks and can be enough for most software out there for the slight enthusiast and mainstream user, imho.

Associate
OP
im happy with the auto clock. when I first started learning to cloxk on the q6600. it was a unstable clock. then I had it stable but running hot. eventually balencing v.core and cpu clock. think I got 3.2 @ 1.37 with a running temp of 27 and full load on all cores of 50ish. if the h61. is good thrn ill buy that as is a matx. whixh means I can run a meduim case. with room for front rads.

Caporegime
Yeah, i'm just saying most modern motherboard manufacturers have built in features for auto overclocks and can be enough for most software out there for the slight enthusiast and mainstream user, imho.

So how does an auto overclocking feature work on a H61 motherboard?

It can't alter the CPU multiplier as they're locked down on that chipset even if you use a multiplier unlocked processor.

It may be able to tweak the Base Clock but this is not recommended with Sandy Bridge and at most it will get you a few percent.

Is it clever enough to tweak the Turbo multipliers?

Caporegime
im happy with the auto clock. when I first started learning to cloxk on the q6600. it was a unstable clock. then I had it stable but running hot. eventually balencing v.core and cpu clock. think I got 3.2 @ 1.37 with a running temp of 27 and full load on all cores of 50ish. if the h61. is good thrn ill buy that as is a matx. whixh means I can run a meduim case. with room for front rads.

Oveclocking with Sandy Bridge is a piece of cake if you use a 2500K or 2600K processor and a P67 or Z68 motherboard.

You can get 4GHz pretty much just by upping the CPU multiplier.

Nearly everyone can get to 4.5GHz by upping the multiplier and tweaking a few voltages.

Associate
p76 or z68 = overclocking is possible if you want to
h61 or h67 = no overclocking

simples

if you are getting a i5 2500k and never intend on overclocking then save some cash and go for i5 -2400? which cant be overclocked.

Soldato

Yeah i fully agree with what you're saying there. For enthusiastic tweaks and overclocks for mximum speeds and stability then it would be wise to check out a motherboard that caters well for the enthusiasts among us. But a lot of modern mobo's have auto overclocking built into the bios, click a feature and away it goes finding the right combo of speed and stability.

Caporegime
Yeah i fully agree with what you're saying there. For enthusiastic tweaks and overclocks for mximum speeds and stability then it would be wise to check out a motherboard that caters well for the enthusiasts among us. But a lot of modern mobo's have auto overclocking built into the bios, click a feature and away it goes finding the right combo of speed and stability.

The problem is that unless you have a P67 or Z68 motherboard there's very little auto overclocking can do with Sandy Bridge.

Back
Top Bottom