Which internet provider?

Soldato
I had nothing but problems with Plusnet, low speeds, downtime and incorrect billing. They even tried to charge me £30 to leave, was a real headache.

Soldato
Gave BT another call but they still wouldn't budge. So I've gone with TalkTalk; £26 pm after cash back for 76/20, no traffic shaping, no activation fee and fixed price for contract.

Plusnet worked out at £28 pm after cash back, once you factor in the activation fee and extra charge for caller ID. I read a few reports of people having slow downs from the traffic prioritisation. Which put me off a little.

Associate
I'm with EE, £32.50 a month for 76/20. Got £150 cashback coming as well. Not noticed any traffic shaping on the service as well. Average download speed on my phone over Ookla hovers around 70Mbps over 5g Wi-Fi so more than happy.

Associate
I've just changed from my current TalkTalk 40/2 at £23/month inc line rental as i'm out of contract now. Have decided to choose PlusNet 80/20 as they let you pay the 12 months line rental in 1 payment meaning your only paying £15.49/month line rental instead of £18.99. That might be worth considering when deciding on an ISP. Not many will let you pay line rental upfront.

Soldato
Upfront line rental is a bit of a gamble. It is good for avoiding line rental prices increases like this, however it does mean they have you over a barrel. If the broadband charges increase you can still leave without charge but the line rental you have paid is not refundable.

Soldato
Switched to Green ISP recently (greenisp.net) specifically because they're a bit different, and only 3 month minimum tie in. Phone line separately from the Coop.

Great customer service so far - no waiting on the phone at all, and quick email replies. I have the plain ADSL2+ with 100 GB usage and it's only £15 pm (=£30 with the line). So far so good.

VDSL is more, you're looking at £27 pm + line for 76/19 Mbit.

Associate
Any further thoughts on this? My BT infinity contract is up shortly so looking to change ISP, I was all set on Orange until I saw this months Think Broadband report...

https://www.thinkbroadband.com/news/7696-uk-broadband-speed-test-results-for-april-2017

I had shortlisted to:

Plusnet
TalkTalk
EE

Looking to go for a 76mbit package but all three ISP's have a number of bad reports (as is usually the case) and I cant decide which is likely to be the safest bet.

Permabanned
Soldato
It's getting cheaper and faster.

In 2004 that 1Mbit AOL ADSL connection would have cost you £45+ including the line rental.

You can now easily find 80/20 FTTC for £30/month including line rental and ADSL2 for £20 or less.

Soldato
Signed up for BT today.

£28.99 for 55mb, with a £200 MasterCard and £80 cash back. Also the only ones not charging me extra for a line fitting, my house only has a VM line, no BT.

Associate
Can vouch for Plusnet. When everything is working - rock solid stable. When it doesn't though, the CS is quite slow at resolving issues unless you get in contact with their social media team to get things moving.

John lewis broadband also an option as well as the 1 month short contracts offered by NOW TV broadband.

Back
Top Bottom