• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which is the best processor for High performace games like Warcraft, GTA 5

Hi

I am looking to buy a new processor but need performance based processor unit that can allow high resolution gaming experience and all the latest games shoulsmoothlymothly

Buy a 7700K if your buying right this minute, or if your willing to wait til October look at the reviews for the 8700K and buy that.

As someone who pretty much exclusively plays MMORPGs, Single core is going to be king for a while yet so the 7700k will be top of the tree for that, anything that utilises a lot of cores your 7700k will start to fall off against the AMD Ryzen stuff, but were not at a point in MMO's where that is happening yet.

So for the here and now, playing WoW and GTA5, id go for a 7700k or wait for the 8700k.

What GPU do you have? id recommend a minimum of a 1070 for WoW and would lean closer towards the 1080.

I play wow on my overclocked ryzen. 70fps in raids on ultra in 3d!!! WoW LOVES RYZEN CPUS runs better than on.my mates 7700k at 4.5!!

But if i was to buy new system id wait for 8700k binned by 8pack buy it and You are sorted for next 4-6 years in cpu motherboard gaming whise.

Wouldnt have thought WOW would benefit much from Ryzen as its not really multithreaded and would favour higher clocks/ipc.

This....

While Ryzen will run WoW fine, even an i3 will run WoW fine, its not the absolute top end chip right now if you just want pure single core performance...

If you wanted great Multithreaded performance at the best possible price ever, then hands down Ryzen trounces intel, if you want the absolute best single threaded performance regardless of price, Intel wins.

That said, Ryzen will run wow great. ;)

OP hasnt said what resolution he games at or what his current rig is though so bit hard to give advice.

Dont think I have played WOW since getting a Ryzen though, might fire up wow later and see what its like. :)

Why would you base your choice on a CPU being able to run one particular game slightly better? Yes Intel's IPC is slightly better than AMD's but looking into the future, just go for Ryzen regardless.

WoW is built on a engine that is over 10 years old now and doesn't make use of most cores. You might get a 'smoother' experience on Ryzen as your background tasks / programs have more cores to go use but seeing a huge fps gain I doubt it. It's the same with GW2 since switching to Ryzen it's smoother for me but my fps hasn't increased.

Why would you base your choice on a CPU being able to run one particular game slightly better? Yes Intel's IPC is slightly better than AMD's but looking into the future, just go for Ryzen regardless.

This sounds like sound advice.

The big question is budget, How much do you want to spend.

At the moment OCUK have the Ryzen 1700x for £289 which is only £11 more than the Ryzen 1700. They're both 8 core 16 thread processor's. I was waiting on Coffeelake but decided to grab one of these myself. I think Coffeelake's 6 core 12 threads cpu will be too pricey but I'm happy to be proven wrong. Whether it costs more or not I'm getting an additional 2 cores and 4 threads which will handle multithreaded games and any additional tasks while gaming very well.

Plus when you say you want it too play high res AAA games I think you'll likely be hitting a gpu limit before a cpu limit so any advantage the Intel cpu's have due to their single threaded performance will to some extent be negated, Sure there will be exceptions to the rule but for a complete package at a reasonable price Ryzen's the best game in town.

WoW is built on a engine that is over 10 years old now and doesn't make use of most cores. You might get a 'smoother' experience on Ryzen as your background tasks / programs have more cores to go use but seeing a huge fps gain I doubt it. It's the same with GW2 since switching to Ryzen it's smoother for me but my fps hasn't increased.

I've noticed this too, and I know it's entirely subjective and "seat of the pants stuff" but since upgrading from a 4.8ghz 4700k to a Threadripper, while fps increases have been negligible, game overs just "feel" much, much smoother.

I don't play wow so no 1st hand experience bit I remember some chat a few years back about the wow engine getting an overhaul that made multi-threaded cpus much better utilised. On phone just now but I'll google for it once my son is having his nap later (unless I forget)

If you haven't already, I'd think twice before selling your soul to Blizzard (WoW) and buy Guild Wars 2 instead lol.

I played WoW for about 4 years. If you're competitive be prepared to see your life go down the toilet :( The grind is constant and repetitive.

Last edited:
I got over 400 days played on my main warrior excluding alts in WoW.

Before i had [email protected] and in benchmarks my ryzen is around 10% ipc slower in st that is. Yet wow got MORE FPS not smoother more!!! And thats 6cores vs 8 cores. Tbh i think its cause of... Cache amount on ryzen.

Btw i run wow locked on 4 logical cores in one ccxx block. That gave me extra fps also.

Yet id still buy pre binned 8700k hands down best long therm gaming option. If not in budget then ryzen 1600

Last edited:
Whether you go for the ryzen mentioned above, a 7600k, 7700k as long as you have at least a 1060, 1070 you will ace games like WOW and many other games out there on full hd/2k easy. No matter what you decide out of the mentioned your rig will be op, so as someone mentioned above it is all down to your budget

7700k is 4 core so depends how long you want from future proofing perspective. For me 4 cores is a bad investment even if many games are good today.

For gaming longevity wait for an 8700k for best single core IPC / multithread balance.

Ryzen is best for pure horsepower as a 1700 will be cheaper than an 8700k with two extra cores but IPC under max overclock will lag 20% or so. If you’re doing low res FPS gaming at high refresh 8700k is where I’d be.

Ultimately though if you’re playing games with high res / high settings the cores will win the day as there are more resources to go around and less risk of lag or frametime spikes. A ryzen at 3.8-3.9 with tight 3200 mems is a good bet for high detail gaming, cheaper than 8700k and the platform will last.

Personally i would go Ryzen

The current intel is bad spends imo at the moment. given AM4 socket will be here for at least the next couple of generations of Ryzen it also means you can just upgrade your CPU without a mobo change, we all know this will not be the case with Intel.

Im playing GTAV @4k on a Ryzen 5 1600x and its over 60fps all the time and its certainly the GPU limiting things over the CPU. as an all rounder the Ryzen is a better processor if you do any multi tasking or video editing etc. in games its a close call but as newer games come out and with the Xbox one X and PS4 pro being multi core AMD chips im sure games are going to be more and more multi threaded in the future so a 6C/12T or 8C/16T ryzen will last longer.

I have been a long time Intel fan and Ryzen is my first AMD chip for over 10 years and im mighty impressed. yes i might get an extra couple of frames spending more on the top end intel chip but its not going to last as long as Ryzen/AM4 in my opinion. Plus its nice to have something different and support AMD in bringing competitive products to market. I use Vegas video editing suite and it smashes my 4790k

Games wise it is better than my 4790k in most tittles. i would suggest a decent cooler as i find they are warm chips.

Back
Top Bottom