• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which is the better choice for me?

Associate
Hi everyone,

So, I've been planning a new build for a rather long time now. But I can't decide what I want to do in regards to my processor and motherboard selection.

Simply put, Intel or AMD?

Firstly, here is what I'll be using it for:

Light gaming (Minecraft & rFactor mostly, hardly that intensive)
Light video rendering (About 10-30 minutes of video at a time)
Recording and production of music (Most important thing I need the machine for)
General home use (Office applications, web browsing, etc.)

That's about it I think, can't really figure out if there's anything else I use my current machine for.

Currently, I'm running an AMD Athlon II X2 215, and a pretty basic motherboard, I only have x1 PCI slots, so it's pretty difficult to upgrade with new stuff. I've no graphics and no sound card, so it's not ideal.

I'm reasonably satisfied with the performance I've had from the Athlon, but while I'm no enthusiast PC user, a little bit more performance would be appreciated. For example, it currently takes about an hour to render 15 minutes of video, if I could at least half that it'd be great. I should mention, overclocking isn't necessary for me at the moment as far as I'm concerned, but if the CPU will permit it, it'd be nice in the future if required. So, is there any point my shelling out £160+ for an Intel i5, when for half the price I can get the Phenom II X4 Black Edition? Couple either of those with a decent, but useful motherboard and I'm set.

I just figure, the extra £80 saved from the CPU will be better spent in the graphics or more importantly, the sound department.

Makes sense to me at least, and I'm leaning towards the AMD option, especially if it'll decrease the amount I spend, meaning I can budget a lot better, rather than stretching right to the edge of what I can spend.

Any thoughts? And no doubt it's been asked a million times, but I'm stuck here.

Cheers,

- Anthony.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
I'm looking at spending no more than £700 really. That includes buying a keyboard, mouse, & monitor. However, those I'll likely get second hand. Can't take the ones I have with me when I move next year as they're not mine to keep.

Granted it's not the best budget, hence why I looked at the AMD chip. Performance wise, pretty much anything is a step up from what I have now, but the lower the cost the better.

Associate
OP
Thanks for those suggestions, seems I have some better options than a 3 year old CPU.

However, I have a quick question.

Would I be better off holding on another month or two, increase the budget (grab some stuff in the January sales? (Hopefully!)) and go with an Ivybridge set up instead?

It's what I'd rather have, and I'm in no rush for an upgrade anyway.

Thoughts?

Associate
OP
Forgive the poor expression, but it doesn't half mess your head up this stuff!

Thanks for the information, turns out I've got plenty to think about.

Hopefully, should be sorted by the end of January.

Associate
OP
Well, it's definitely another option so I'll keep it in mind.

Won't be buying anything until after Christmas anyway so I've plenty of time to discover, and weigh up my options.

Thanks!

- Anthony.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the reply, I see what you mean regarding 2nd hand equipment. Makes a lot of sense now that I think about it.

If its of any use now, and I can't for the life of my think why I didn't mention it before, the software I use consists of mainly Pro Tools and Sibelius from Avid, and I sometimes dabble in Cubase.

Should that effect anything?

- Anthony.

Associate
OP
Shouldn't be a problem. I'm in no rush to purchase, most likely by the end of January or even end of February as it'll help stretch the budget.

Would the Xeon be on the X79 chipset?

Thank you for your help, seems like a nice set up. I'm all set for shopping around, nothing against OCUK, but if it's cheaper elsewhere, I'd rather it hurt my bank less.

- Anthony.

Associate
OP
Not currently using an interface no, however will be in the new year. The software is mainly Pro Tools and Sibelius, however this while build is mainly in anticipation of what I'll be doing next year which is audio production, working heavily with the software whereas at the moment I'm just introducing myself to it to get a feel of the way it works, but it's problematic on my current machine as it seems as though it simply can't keep up, no matter what I'm using it for.

If I have to push my budget up a couple hundred pounds, then so be it. As stated above, I'm in no rush as its not a necessity right this minute.

Associate
OP
I think an nVidia card is a given, and in regards to the CPU, seems they favour Intel.

If it does the job I need it to do, then I've no complaints. I just don't won't to go setting myself up for a failure.

Of course, I could just buy a Mac, but why bother when I can probably do better for half the price? ;)

Associate
OP
I think in the short term, AMD should be the better choice as price-wise I'll likely be doing myself a favour. However, in the long term, Intel in theory is the better choice performance/compatibility wise.

If I stretch the budget as far as I can, I'll go Intel straight away, because if I buy AMD I can't help but think in 6 months time I'm only going to have to swap it out anyway.

But, with technology these days it's impossible to predict the future.

Associate
OP
I bloody well hate computers!

Question is, which Intel? Advantages of Ivybridge is for now I can save money on a GPU and just use onboard, but on the other hand either the 2011 socket or Xeon on the 1155 may provide better performance when bouncing/rendering.

Not a lot in the price considering my budget, but it's not an easy decision.

Associate
OP
Alright, well thanks for that information, should certainly factor into the final outcome.

Currently looking at the i7 3820, and I see in your signature that you have that specific processor. Might I ask how you find using it? Performance wise, overclock wise, and will the 2011 socket require a larger case?

The reason I'm considering the 2011 socket is the option to bump up the processor further down the line to the 3930K if need be.

Associate
OP
I see what you're both saying, and it totally makes sense.

I just need to work out the best combination for myself. At the moment I'm just weighing up my options, trying to bring it all in at under £800 (just the system) it's proving easier on 1155 than 2011, I just don't know which I'd prefer performance wise. If it's pretty much even, then no point spending more than I need to.

In regards to clock speed, 4.5ghz is most likely more than enough. If either/or can manage it, then great!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Definitely quite an irritating situation!

I'm certain I'll figure it out. If I have to, I'll grab all the other components and leave the CPU and motherboard until last, just so I have that extra bit of time to make up my bloody mind!

Associate
OP
As far as I'm aware it's retail, got it back in July just never bothered using it knowing I'd be building a new machine.

Like I've said before, the current machine isn't mine and when I move away next year I can't take it with me, so it doesn't particularly matter about the current machine.

I'll poke around some other places and see what I can dig up, cheers.

Back
Top Bottom