Which laptop maker makes the best laptops?

Anything but Asus... just don't buy an Asus!! Almost every laptop sent to me to look at and try to fix is an Asus... total junk.

Last edited:
Question, how many laptop vendors and models are these days using soldered on to the motherboard RAM instead of upgradable RAM slots?

I was going to pick up a refurbed dell laptop yesterday but backed out as i didnt realise that the RAM was soldered on to the board,

is this the norm these days?

My work latitude 7430 is a soldered on to the motherboard type

Really wish they wouldn't do this...

It's more likely to be the slimmer models like the Lenovo Ideapad where the Legion has sockets. I believe the new ARM CPUs have the RAM on the die so upgrades aren't possible.

Last edited:
Ok finally made a purchase. Picked up a good conditioned latitude i5 12th gen , 16gb ram upgradable not soldered, 256gb SSD

For £254

Is the latitude 5530.

Hopefully the quality is alright

Decided to go for a slightly larger screen 15 rather than my work laptop which I think is a 12.5 or 13" screen.

Last edited:
I normally use OpenSUSE Tumbleweed as my distro of choice.

I'm still undecided about whether I should go for it or not as I don't game as much these days as I used to.
I don't know this personally but I frequently read that Lenovo laptops play very well with Linux in general

I'm looking to get a cheap gaming laptop but I'm confused about all the available choices. I don't mind paying a premium for a well regarded brand.

Can someone recommend a brand to go with? I'd like to be able to run Linux on it as well.

Since the day I got my Lenovo Legion 5, I wiped Windows and installed Nobara Linux on it.

Flawless.

Back
Top Bottom