Which linux distro for NAS/Download server

Soldato
Hi,

I am after a suitable linux distro to use on a server I am building to be used as a NAS fileserver and also a download box (which I will be looking at installing a torrent client which can be accessed over a web-browser).

I would like a distro that has the expandability so that I can add server purposes at a later stage if i need to.

I have been looking at using Ubuntu, would this serve me well as an overall desktop based server (allowing NAS/download functionality) with room for expansion on serving purposes?

Soldato
OP
Ubuntu Server would be the most straightforward. Probably the best if you don't have much experience in setting up servers.

Arch would probably perform better but is a bit harder to set up as it is a bare bones and build it up approach.

Centos (redhat) is also a well used server OS and fits somewhere in the middle of the above two.

It all depends on how much you are willing to play around with it.

My linux experience is very little at the mo, I wouldnt mind fiddling around with it but at the same time I dont want to be spending hours and hours getting it working.

I think the main thing I would like to get out of this server is:

NAS
Download box (torrent client accessable over a web browser)
Backup solution to back up workstations/laptops over a network to the server.
VPN
Ability to administer remotely (possibly over a webbrowser) if not then some type of remote desktop application.

and room for expansion with regards to serving purposes. Aslong as it can do that, without spending days getting it working, then ill be happy :)

Back
Top Bottom