Which linux distro for NAS/Download server

Soldato
Hi,

I am after a suitable linux distro to use on a server I am building to be used as a NAS fileserver and also a download box (which I will be looking at installing a torrent client which can be accessed over a web-browser).

I would like a distro that has the expandability so that I can add server purposes at a later stage if i need to.

I have been looking at using Ubuntu, would this serve me well as an overall desktop based server (allowing NAS/download functionality) with room for expansion on serving purposes?

Associate
Ubuntu Server would be the most straightforward. Probably the best if you don't have much experience in setting up servers.

Arch would probably perform better but is a bit harder to set up as it is a bare bones and build it up approach.

Centos (redhat) is also a well used server OS and fits somewhere in the middle of the above two. Redhat is used for servers commercially in loads of companies. Centos is the free version of Redhat.

It all depends on how much you are willing to play around with it.

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Ubuntu Server would be the most straightforward. Probably the best if you don't have much experience in setting up servers.

Arch would probably perform better but is a bit harder to set up as it is a bare bones and build it up approach.

Centos (redhat) is also a well used server OS and fits somewhere in the middle of the above two.

It all depends on how much you are willing to play around with it.

My linux experience is very little at the mo, I wouldnt mind fiddling around with it but at the same time I dont want to be spending hours and hours getting it working.

I think the main thing I would like to get out of this server is:

NAS
Download box (torrent client accessable over a web browser)
Backup solution to back up workstations/laptops over a network to the server.
VPN
Ability to administer remotely (possibly over a webbrowser) if not then some type of remote desktop application.

and room for expansion with regards to serving purposes. Aslong as it can do that, without spending days getting it working, then ill be happy :)

Associate
OK - only one of these is actually based on Linux, the other is based on BSD, but FreeNAS (BSD) or OpenFiler (Linux) should do what you want.

from my understanding (I've never used them), they are easy to set up and have nice, friendly web configs.

If you want a fully fledged distro - Arch.

EDIT:
Works with any linux distro most of the time ;) Anyway, LETS FIGHT! :D

Actually - that always recommends Slack for me... and I am really not that fond of Slack (far to much of a PITA... I mean really, wtf is up with their package manager?!)

Last edited:
Associate
You could try Amahi - http://www.amahi.org/ if you want an easy solution. I use Linux all the time at work and if I was going to build a home server I would probably use it to just save hassle. It is basically Fedora with an easy option package plonked on top.

You can also (apparently) install software for downloading torrents etc on it very easily through the administration page.

Soldato
I suggest debian, ubuntu server i found a pain in the bottom.

debian just works! There is also a lot of info on the net for things like torrent, usenet, upnp streamers and such stuff.

Webmin I also looked at this but decided it was a waste of time, you need to get used to terminal so you can trouble shoot when things go wrong. All webmin does is further detach you from your server, so when summit goes wrong you will struggle with terminal commands if all you have used is the webmin gui.

I also found Amachi and freenas to basic, you simply cannot break away from them roadmap easily.

Associate
Also with regards to webadmin, iv found "webmin" does anyone use this?

Webmin is perfect for newbies.

Whilst I'd still recommend learning a handful of Linux commands I wouldn't recommend trying to administer your server "by hand". Use Webmin for the "complicated" stuff (RAID, SMB, CRON etc) and stick with the Command Line for permissions, copying, moving, deleting files etc.

IMHO (which of course is the ONLY opinion which matters! :p)

[....Body suddenly fills with adrenalin waiting for the first punch to be thrown in my direction ....] :cool:

Associate
ubuntu server or debian or redhat/centos with webmin should do fine. servers require stability, therefore arch is not suitable due to breakages due to its bleeding-edge nature however good it is for a desktop distro.

Associate
NAS
Download box (torrent client accessable over a web browser)
Backup solution to back up workstations/laptops over a network to the server.
VPN
Ability to administer remotely (possibly over a webbrowser) if not then some type of remote desktop application.

1. Install Ubuntu Server
2. apt-get install transmission-daemon
3. apt-get install sabnzbd
4. Install VMware Server 2 - then install PBA (Personal Backup Appliance) in a VM, you can download the complete VM.
5. apt-get install openvpn-server
6. apt-get install ssh vnc4server

That should just about do it :p

Of course, there's some tinkering involved amongst all that - but I've found that the Ubuntu community documentation is the best.

You could have course use Debian, which is just as good, and the vast majority of the Ubuntu docs will still apply :)

If you're just wanting something quick and easy - ClarkConnect gets my vote, though I do find the web admin interface to be a bit slow. ClarkConnect will do everything you've outlined comfortably :)

Back
Top Bottom