Which memory?

Man of Honour
Thinking of upgrading to 16Gb.

I'm still running an Asus P8PZ67 with overclocked i5 2500k simply because I've felt no need to change it and still don't. Amazing really.

I'm going to go for 2x8gb sticks - but which? Should I just grab some Corsair Vengeance and be done with it?

Associate
Personally I don't think you can really go wrong with Corsair Vengeance Ram. I have used it for a number of years without any issues. I am currently building a new machine and this time I have gone for Vengeance LED over the Low Profile ram simply for asthetics as it has white LEDs which go with my new mobo and case.
They are quite a bit taller than the old ram which has stopped me putting my radiator in the top of the new build but apart from height, everything is golden.

My old ram is now going into my lads machine with his other 8GB (2x4GB) of Vengeance LP Ram so he gets a free upgrade (As he always does :p )

Caporegime
Kingston or Corsair make very reliable and very compatible memory.

As you are on Sandybridge you wont see any gain in performance from faster DDR3 kits, so if a 1600MHz kit is cheaper then go for that, if a 1866Mhz kit is cheaper go for that instead.

Edit a quick search found this - https://www.overclockers.co.uk/team...annel-kit-tpkd316g1600hc11dc01-my-034-tg.html

Ive seen loads of people report issues with high speed corsair ddr4 ram on x99 boards though. So much so i cancelled my order for led vengence and went g.skill. Not sure on any issues with ddr3. I always used to run corsair on ddr3 and it was fine.

Caporegime
The Kingston HyperX used to be dirt cheap and works fine on my setup which is very similar 2700k/p8p67.

The max I can get out of the chipset stable is 2133mhz so I wouldn't buy any of the more exotic stuff.

Man of Honour
OP
Lots of conflicting views! I wonder if this is because the reality is that it makes little difference what i go for.

If I go with Corsair Vengeance, is there any reason not to get the low profile stuff over the regular stuff?

The Corsair seems to have better timings than the other suggested memory? CAS9?

Caporegime
Lower timings is better, If you are using a water cooler such as a Corsair AIO or custom loop then you won't get any fitting conflicts like you do with large air heatsinks that over hang the memory slots closest to the cpu socket.

Soldato
I use Kingston memory, it's very stable, it also undervolts really well. I have 32GB of HyperX Blu at 1600 at just 1.35v, been like this for 3 years.

Has anyone else also noticed, when a new memory technology is released Kingston are always late to market. I always have that feeling Kingston are waiting to get compatibility/testing correct before releasing.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom