Which Mesh System?

Soldato
I've pretty much decided to buy some Mesh kito beef up the WiFi signal in our house/garden, yes I know they are not perfect and I'd get better performance and stability hard wiring some access points but thats simply not happening!

So which one would you go for, currently I'm trying to choose bet between the thee node the TP-Link Deco M5 and the BT Whole home setup. The price difference is small and they both get good reviews. Which one would you buy or would you go for another system altogether?

Associate
I've been using Google Wi-Fi for nearly two years now and its been rock solid. It does not have the most advanced settings so if you like to tinker it is not the best but for easy set-up and ease of use its great.

Soldato
I am with Virgin whose routers are terrible - using the whole home setup from BT, I am astonished how well the wifi works now - literally getting No loss in speed from one end of the house to the other whereas, before, I was down to 10%. Even in the same room, the BT system gives out faster speed than the Virgin router

Soldato
the only thing puting me off the orbi is the price! We don't hammer our internet connection so it is mainly just browsing, skype calls and some streaming

I have the original Orbi which i bought not long after release. I can see why the price would and does put a lot of people off. What i will say though is that the Orbi system has a specific case use. If you happen to live in an old house with solid brick/block walls everywhere, Orbi will blow most other Mesh systems out of the water.
I have 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 downstairs rooms along with front and back gardens. Positioning the router in the downstairs study and the satellite in the upstairs hall, i get full speed coverage over the entire house and front and back gardens. With most modern houses, internal walls are timber and plasterboard construction and don't pose much of a problem for cheaper mesh systems. An older house like mine is a nightmare for wifi because of solid walls internally, for me Orbi was a no brainer regardless of the price because it was the only mesh system that would get full speed full house coverage.

Soldato
OP
I have the original Orbi which i bought not long after release. I can see why the price would and does put a lot of people off. What i will say though is that the Orbi system has a specific case use. If you happen to live in an old house with solid brick/block walls everywhere, Orbi will blow most other Mesh systems out of the water.
I have 4 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 downstairs rooms along with front and back gardens. Positioning the router in the downstairs study and the satellite in the upstairs hall, i get full speed coverage over the entire house and front and back gardens. With most modern houses, internal walls are timber and plasterboard construction and don't pose much of a problem for cheaper mesh systems. An older house like mine is a nightmare for wifi because of solid walls internally, for me Orbi was a no brainer regardless of the price because it was the only mesh system that would get full speed full house coverage.
Speed isn’t my number one requirement my broadband tops out at about 20mb (dodgy old aluminium wiring from the pole to my house!) I can see the FTTC box less than 100yards away! So any decent mesh system is probably going to saturate that!

thanks for the feedback all, I still haven’t decided but might go with the m5 because it’s a cheap way of trying the tech and will likely do the job.

Back
Top Bottom