Which modem for Sky fibre?

Associate
Hi All

I have just signed up for Sky Fibre so need a decent modem to use as it will be connected to my Unifi Security Gateway.

Any suggestions on what to Use, been a VM customer for 7 years so not sure what's out there fibre?

Thanks

Soldato
Does the USG support Sky's implementation of MER (I suspect not)?

If it does happen to support MER your best bet is a secondhand Openreach HG612.

If not I think there are some Billion routers that do support MER and can be bridged.

I you want a simple life cancel Sky and pick an ISP that uses a standard PPPoE connection (Plusnet, BT, Zen, etc.).

Associate
OP
Does the USG support Sky's implementation of MER (I suspect not)?

If it does happen to support MER your best bet is a secondhand Openreach HG612.

If not I think there are some Billion routers that do support MER and can be bridged.

I you want a simple life cancel Sky and pick an ISP that uses a standard PPPoE connection (Plusnet, BT, Zen, etc.).

Thanks, but I got a deal for the lot, I got Sky Fibre Max, Sky Q 2Tb, 2 x Sky Q mini, full TV including sports and movies and phone for £70 per month. To take broadband off it saved £16.01.

Soldato
So you're back to does the USG support MER?

Sky are fine, but they aren't user friendly when it comes to using your own kit.

Many people end-up connecting their router behind the Sky router, and because there's no bridge mode available you end up having to double NAT.

Associate
OP
So you're back to does the USG support MER?

Sky are fine, but they aren't user friendly when it comes to using your own kit.

Many people end-up connecting their router behind the Sky router, and because there's no bridge mode available you end up having to double NAT.

Sorry forgot that on the last post, no it doesn't support MER so I want a router that will I can bridge, don't want double NAT.

I was just looking at the HG612 you mentioned which, will that bridge?

Edit: Just read it will :)

Back
Top Bottom