Which network cable.

Soldato
I have in the past used Cat 5 and Cat 6 cable for home networking with Fibre to the cabinet. I will be moving into a house that can get 900Mbps Fibre to the home. Do I need to go better than Cat 6?

Associate
Using a kenable 10m cheap flat cable here for fttp.

Works fine though the cable is soft and can easily be damage if caught under the chair.

Soldato
Using a kenable 10m cheap flat cable here for fttp.

Works fine though the cable is soft and can easily be damage if caught under the chair.

Why would you recommend flat cable unless op states it's part of the requirement, eg to run under carpet etc? Also, if you do suggest something that's not ideal, you at least take the time to explain why it's not recommended. Over a short distance like 10m it's less likely to cause issues, but it shouldn't be anyones default suggestion.

Op, realistically 5e or better is more than adequate, i've personally run 10Gb over 5e without issue, 6 and 6a just make it more likely to run further, but unless you have the kind of house with a servants wing or are trying to gift wrap it in network cable, it's unlikely to be a problem.

Soldato
Upgrading past CAT5e for a 900Mb FTTP connection is pointless really, it's not going to be changing your LAN connection speeds unless you are upgrading to multi-gig hardware, even then CAT5e can do 10G over approximately 45m distance which I doubt many home users will be going over.

Associate
Why would you recommend flat cable unless op states it's part of the requirement, eg to run under carpet etc? Also, if you do suggest something that's not ideal, you at least take the time to explain why it's not recommended. Over a short distance like 10m it's less likely to cause issues, but it shouldn't be anyones default suggestion.

No choice for me, I had to use a flat cable to run under a door with just mm clearance.
Although it is cheap kenable list it as cat 6.

Back
Top Bottom