Poll: Which Next Gen Console will you buy? - Final version (honest!)

What console(s) will you buy during the launch window?

• I will buy both consoles during the launch window

Votes: 67 6.5%
  • I will buy an Xbox One only during the launch window

Votes: 185 18.0%
  • I will buy a PS4 only during the launch window

Votes: 395 38.4%
  • I will buy neither console during the launch window

Votes: 286 27.8%
  • I'm still undecided

Votes: 95 9.2%

• Total voters
Caporegime
PS4 'BOM' summmary - $381 to make, sells for $399...

XO 'BOM' summary - $471 to make, sells for $499...

So it seems both consoles appear to be selling at near cost considering other costs and margins, which is different to whats happened in the past at console launches where the console is significantly subsidised...

Main highlight is that it seems that IHS think it costs $100 to build the PS4s AMD solution while the XOs is $110, guess its up for speculation how much the eSRAM ramped that cost up. Kinect 2 to me seems pretty 'cheap' at $75, but Ive never looked at the BOM for the previous iteration - it does seem to account for most of the $100 difference in retail price as we expected...

Look forward to process shrinks as hopefully with near cost launch pricing it might mean those savings are passed over to the consumer sooner rather than later...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Soldato
I've purchased a fair bit from OCUK in the past and got a lot of my friends into shopping here but if this price is genuine then it's clear they are taking advantage of stock shortages and this would put me off purchasing from them again. Time and time again I could get something cheaper on Amazon but I like OCUK and go with them for the sake of a few quid. Poor show :mad:

Supply and demand :)

Soldato
Sold my PS4 preorder yesterday, mostly because I just can't get excited about any of the launch titles but also because from a money point of view it made sense.

I got my XB1 in a bundle with two games (FIFA/NBA2k14) for $50 less than the console only RRP so buying one at launch made sense since I sold the two games and ended up paying about $150 less than RRP for the console.

With the PS4 there are no good deals to be had in NZ and I sold my preorder for $150 more than the RRP. In March when Infamous is out there is bound to be a bundle deal so I'll actually save about $200 by selling now and that's 2-3 decent games once they're available.

I've got a heap of games I already need to work through so buying some average PS4 launch titles to justify buying the console would have been crazy (I'd have still done it though). I actually feel quite relieved even if it's the first major console launch in about 15 years where I won't be buying on day 1.

On a side note, if I were buying only one 'next-gen' console right now then it would be the Wii U, it is a cracking little machine. I do hope it can rise from the ashes like the 3DS although it has a bit of a mountain to climb to do it!

Soldato
For some reason the XB1 has way slower install/load times than PS4:

Assassin's Creed IV:
Xbox One (offline, no update): 5 minutes 50 seconds
Xbox One (with update, fastest connection): 7 minutes 2 seconds
Xbox One (with update, 10Mbps connection): 10 minutes 32 seconds
PS4: 42 seconds

The rest of these were tested on our office Wi-Fi which is around 9-11Mbps. It may have been faster on a wired connection, but you can compare your own connection speed here. These are our results:

Need For Speed Rivals:
XBO: 09:25 (including update)
PS4: 00:32

Just Dance 2014:
XBO: 08:48 (including update)
PS4: 00:45

NBA Live 14:
XBO: 16:26 (including update)
PS4: 00:35

FIFA 14:
XBO: 16:06 (including update)
PS4: 00:34

Madden 25:
XBO: 9:38 (including update)
PS4: 00:38

http://kotaku.com/installing-xbox-one-games-takes-way-too-long-1471191836

Man of Honour
OP
I thought XB1 was supposed to do that too? Maybe it waa one of the features that didn't make launch
No it does do that, when I was downloading Fifa I was able to play some friendly matches while waiting for the rest of the game to download.

I have to admit, the install times are the only real things that annoy me about the XB1 so far. While it wasn't a huge issue for me personally (I was doing house work and installing the games while I did it), I can certainly see the problems in general.

Caporegime
Heh, not sure if this has been posted yet, but made me laugh... :D

gifki-820881.gif

Caporegime
The more I read about the new consoles the less impressed I get. Next gen to me should mean a real step change from the previous generation, a significant leap forward, a pioneering drive challenging what we as gamers expect. The fact that they're a little bit better than old technology doesn't really cut it for me. Hopefully their strengths will become more apparent as programmers get to grips with them but right now most of the things I'm reading present a pretty underwhelming picture.

Caporegime
What I'd like to see is piles of dead bodies. :D Whenever you kill something in an FPS these days, the bodies and decals of the bullet holes seem to all disappear. They need to be permanent now. I think Ryse keeps the dead bodies.

Caporegime
[FnG]magnolia;25394368 said:
The more I read about the new consoles the less impressed I get. Next gen to me should mean a real step change from the previous generation, a significant leap forward, a pioneering drive challenging what we as gamers expect. The fact that they're a little bit better than old technology doesn't really cut it for me. Hopefully their strengths will become more apparent as programmers get to grips with them but right now most of the things I'm reading present a pretty underwhelming picture.

I sort of agree, of the two consoles the PlayStation 4 does more in terms of hardware but the xbox One has tried to change more with their integration in to the living room. I think both consoles have made steps forward, just not a jump forward.

I'm very excited about the future with the PS4 though, I can't wait to see developers milk every ouch from it :).

Although, Master PC gaming Race > All.

Caporegime
the xbox One has tried to change more with their integration in to the living room.

I thought that overall TV viewing hours was in decline and time spent on internet/gaming was going up. So are Microsoft going down the wrong path here chasing after TV when the 18-35 group are not watching as much?

Soldato

I agree with this completely.

Next gen for me is stunning graphics, smooth gameplay and a couple of little things that make you go WOW now that is cool.

I own the Xbox One and I like it. I dont love it or hate it and I could probably go without it. There is however nothing about it that makes me think yes this is a "next Gen" machine I have here. Kinect is very good but its not amazing. I would say the best thing about kinect is the fact it reads the codes which saves having to type in 25 characters.

I cant help but think during my short ownership of the Xbox one that i am in fact testing a product and its games that are a beta version at best.

Before i bough it i was soooo hyped for Battlefield 4 and Forza 5. Both of them feel incomplete at the moment. Ive spent about £80 each on those games (including premium & season pass etc) and they honestly feel like they have been rushed to meet the launch of the product. The one game that it probably saving me from selling the XB1 is in fact Fifa 14. Admittedly i had no hype about it and wasnt expecting that much to be honest, but my god its bloody good, very bloody good.

Time will tell whether I have made the right decision, at the moment im not so sure.

Soldato

is that really you magnolia

Caporegime
I thought that overall TV viewing hours was in decline and time spent on internet/gaming was going up. So are Microsoft going down the wrong path here chasing after TV when the 18-35 group are not watching as much?
It seems an obvious answer if you look at it from those extremes, but looking at those shades of grey where people will end up migrating at their own pace from traditional STBs to internet streaming then you can see that the XO might be in an ideal place to capture both extremes but more importantly that migration and people knowing that the XO is potentially capable of supporting that...

I think most of us here already have one foot in the future, but the vast majority of the population doesnt, so when that critical mass migration happens MS are betting on (big time) that the XO is centre to that, but they really need to get that TV stuff fixed sooner rather than later before alienating the masses - first impressions really do matter...

ps3ud0 :cool:

Man of Honour
OP
I'm not quite sure what you're expecting tbh. I know what you're saying, that both XB1 and PS4 are basically just more powerful versions of the 360 and PS3, with some additional features thrown in. This has always been the case though. The 360 and PS3 are essentially just more powerful versions of the Xbox and PS2.

I think the next couple of years will see things start to change as developers not only get to grips with two powerful new consoles, but also how to use the massive cloud infrastructures that are in place for both consoles. Could we see persistent, dynamic worlds that continue to run when you're not even logged in? That's the kind of evolution I expect to see this generation bring.

Back
Top Bottom