Which non-X570 Mobo for 3900x

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
As per the title. I don’t want an X570 with a fan on the motherboard. I have a 3900x that will be in a custom loop. Would like internal USB-c header.

Soldato
Went with the MSI B450 TOMAHAWK MAX

would have gone for the Carbon ! same VRMs but they are set up in a totally different way along with Extra chokes ! cant remember if its a 6 Layer PCB

Strix E - if your able to get one would have been the better choice being 6 phases doubled or 12 phases Twinned . how ever you view asus marketing

Soldato
Called up and changed to the Carbon, good shout. Will it work out of the box with Ryzen 3900x ?
You'll have to flash it if not, but you can do it with out a chip in.

Id presume it needs flashing as it might come with support for the most basic chips. It won't support all chips at the same time due to lack of bios memory.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
I'm kinda jealous in away. I wanted to go cheap and be happy, which I'm sure I would have been... But still went big with the x570 master.

I have an Aorus Elite X570 sat on my desk but it’s going back. I just don’t feel comfortable with a small fan on the motherboard.

Soldato
I have an Aorus Elite X570 sat on my desk but it’s going back. I just don’t feel comfortable with a small fan on the motherboard.
I felt the same too!

At least in the elite it is out of the way. The master, my massive aorus 1080ti covers it 70%.

Good luck with the build!!!!

Soldato

Nothing wrong with the fans at all, they are completely silent, even when running, you can test this yourself by setting it up, set the chipset fan profile to manual in the bios and ramp it up, they dont become audible until about 3000rpm on my MSI X570 ACE, it never even starts up at the moment to be honest, I have mine system set to balanced mode, I think the latest bios doesnt start it up until the chipset reaches 70oC and even then its only running between 800-900rpm.

EDIT: Just checked in the bios and upto 50oC its 0%, 74oC it runs at 40%, its currently at 60oC and running at 600rpm, I actually didnt know that it was running at all until I had a look in the bios.

Theres no point really going with a RyZen 3000 chip if your not going to use an X570 board, you'll loose out on PCI-e 4 and Precision boost 2

Last edited:
Soldato
My issue with the B450 boards is they released in 2018. It's quite possible (as I have recently experienced with Asus) that they will drop off the support list from next year.

Personally if I was buying a B450 board it would have to be a MAX from MSI as they released in 2019.

However for a 3990x for me personally nothing but an x570 will do. I would have gone for the X570 Aorus Elite.

Associate
If you are building WC loop you can always add EK block to this Elite mobo to make it fanless, extra cost but there is option.

LiE

LiE

Caporegime
OP
If you are building WC loop you can always add EK block to this Elite mobo to make it fanless, extra cost but there is option.

That's really useful to know, I think in that case I will keep the X570 and pay the £40 to get the block for the chipset.

Soldato
you'll loose out on PCI-e 4 and Precision boost 2

Can you elaborate on this more, because I'm running a x370 currently and tempted to buy an x570 mostly because my x370 Prime Pro Asus have decided will no longer get any more BIOS updates.

On top of this as I plan to get a 3000 series Nvidia card when they launch I thought why not have PCIe 4 to complement it also.

Last edited:
Soldato
Can you elaborate on this more, because I'm running a x370 currently and tempted to buy an x570 mostly because my x370 Prime Pro Asus have decided will no longer get any more BIOS updates.

On top of this as I plan to get a 3000 series Nvidia card when they launch I thought why not have PCIe 4 to complement it also.

Not sure if nVidia 3000 cards will be pci-e 4.0 or not, but if they are, although people keep saying "they dont saturate all the lanes of PCI-e 3 let alone PCI-e 4" im pretty sure you'd notice a performance difference running it in PCI-e 3 instead of 4, and as AMD X570 boards are the only boards to offer PCI-e gen 4, do you want to take the risk, also same applies to nvme drives, you're not going to get the 5000/5000 read write speeds sticking one in a Gen 3 slot.

RyZen 3000 comes with the same amount of PCI-e Lanes on the chip as all the previous mainstream RyZens.......24......the only difference is on ryzen 3000 they are Gen4, if you stick it in an X470 or B450 board then they become gen3 simple as that, anyway, 16 are for the first GPU slot, they get divided into x8x8 if you put anything at all in the 2nd GPU slot, then 4 are for the 1st nvme slot, the final 4 are dedicated to dmi link to the chipset, and I know its only 4, but think of it as bandwidth instead of just 4 lanes, 16gb/s per lane, thats 64gb's across all 4 lanes, thats all your lanes gone from the CPU, however, x570 chipset offers a further 20 PCI-e gen 4 lanes that no other board does, for things like your other 2 nvme slots, bottom x16 slot (4) and x1 slots etc etc at full speed, no performance loss, remember on X370/B350/X470/B450 the 2nd nvme slot only used to run in x2 mode instead of x4, not anymore, however, this chipset runs upto 15w, hence there being a fan, its called taking precautions.

This is my 3 Samsung Gen3 nvme drives running in RAID0 since the day I set it up, each drive is advertised as having a 3200mb/s read speed, you can see from the quick benchmark I just ran, that all 3 are running at that, thats 2 of the drives running via the chipset along with my SATA drives and sound card, and 1 nvme directly linked to the CPU, imagine what the speeds would be if they were Gen4 drives, closer to 15,000mb/s, there's no way in this world I would stick a RyZen 3000 chip in anything lower than an X570 board.

https://imgur.com/4ajR0kp

Last edited:
Soldato
Not sure if nVidia 3000 cards will be pci-e 4.0 or not, but if they are, although people keep saying "they dont saturate all the lanes of PCI-e 3 let alone PCI-e 4" im pretty sure you'd notice a performance difference running it in PCI-e 3 instead of 4, and as AMD X570 boards are the only boards to offer PCI-e gen 4, do you want to take the risk, also same applies to nvme drives, you're not going to get the 5000/5000 read write speeds sticking one in a Gen 3 slot.

RyZen 3000 comes with the same amount of PCI-e Lanes on the chip as all the previous mainstream RyZens.......24......the only difference is on ryzen 3000 they are Gen4, if you stick it in an X470 or B450 board then they become gen3 simple as that, anyway, 16 are for the first GPU slot, they get divided into x8x8 if you put anything at all in the 2nd GPU slot, then 4 are for the 1st nvme slot, the final 4 are dedicated to dmi link to the chipset, and I know its only 4, but think of it as bandwidth instead of just 4 lanes, 16gb/s per lane, thats 64gb's across all 4 lanes, thats all your lanes gone from the CPU, however, x570 chipset offers a further 20 PCI-e gen 4 lanes that no other board does, for things like your other 2 nvme slots, bottom x16 slot (4) and x1 slots etc etc at full speed, no performance loss, remember on X370/B350/X470/B450 the 2nd nvme slot only used to run in x2 mode instead of x4, not anymore, however, this chipset runs upto 15w, hence there being a fan, its called taking precautions.

This is my 3 Samsung Gen3 nvme drives running in RAID0 since the day I set it up, each drive is advertised as having a 3200mb/s read speed, you can see from the quick benchmark I just ran, that all 3 are running at that, imagine what the speeds would be if they were Gen4 drives, closer to 15,000mb/s, there's no way in this world I would stick a RyZen 3000 chip in anything lower than an X570 board.

https://imgur.com/4ajR0kp
You can test pcie4 right now on as RDNA radeon cards are pcie4 and as this shows makes little to no difference even over pcie2 and certainly not a noticeable difference.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/19.html

Soldato
You can test pcie4 right now on as RDNA radeon cards are pcie4 and as this shows makes little to no difference even over pcie2 and certainly not a noticeable difference.

https://www.techpowerup.com/review/pci-express-4-0-performance-scaling-radeon-rx-5700-xt/19.html

I have a Gen3 card, so it makes no difference to me, I wanted the extra PCI-e lanes to get the other 2 nvme slots running at full speed, it annoyed me with X470 that if AMD had of just added an extra 4 PCI-e lanes to their CPU's (RyZen 2000) we could have had that 2nd nvme slot running at full speed, then they went and added an extra 20 with x570, however, my do plan on upgrading my card when AMD bring out RDNA2 at the end of this year.

However, you could very well see nVidia's new line of cards and RDNA2 cards pulling further away from PCI-3 cards this time, AMD are already saying that 6900XT in early tests is 50% faster than a 2080ti

Myself....I have a Radeon 7, and its still top above anything that AMD has to offer to date, so theres no point changing it.

Last edited:
Soldato
I have a Gen3 card, so it makes no difference to me, I wanted the extra PCI-e lanes to get the other 2 nvme slots running at full speed, it annoyed me with X470 that if AMD had of just added an extra 4 PCI-e lanes to their CPU's (RyZen 2000) we could have had that 2nd nvme slot running at full speed, then they went and added an extra 20 with x570, however, my do plan on upgrading my card when AMD bring out RDNA2 at the end of this year.

However, you could very well see nVidia's new line of cards and RDNA2 cards pulling further away from PCI-3 cards this time, AMD are already saying that 6900XT in early tests is 50% faster than a 2080ti

Myself....I have a Radeon 7, and its still top above anything that AMD has to offer to date, so theres no point changing it.
It would need to be almost 100% faster though to fully saturate pcie3 and thus make a difference vs pcie4, it will probably be 4 years atleast for that to happen and by that time you would likely need a better CPU to take advantage of that speed for instance Whose running an rtx2080ti with a i7 6700k.

Be nice if the 6900xt is 50% faster though even if its 25% and priced well it will still shift.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom