• Competitor rules

Please remember that any mention of competitors, hinting at competitors or offering to provide details of competitors will result in an account suspension. The full rules can be found under the 'Terms and Rules' link in the bottom right corner of your screen. Just don't mention competitors in any way, shape or form and you'll be OK.

Which Nvidia RTX 4070 card for quiet PC ?

Associate
Hi, looking for some advice on a new PC build I am buying.
I am aiming for something pretty quiet with good all round performance after a basic CPU overclock.
I will be using it for general purpose PC tasks including 45MP photo/4K video editing, web browsing, a few games like Forza/GTA, serving 4K movies to my TV. I won't be upgrading it for several years except storage drives.

Spec so far -
Intel i7 13700KF
Nvidia RTX 4070 12Gb
32GB DDR5
Z790 Mobo
CPU Cooler AIO 2x140 Fan
M2 SSD for System+Apps
16/18Tb HDD for storage
Fractal Design Meshify 2 Case
700w PSU

For the graphics card its definately going to be an Nvidia RTX 4070 12Gb, but not sure which one. Lower price is perfered to overclocked etc. Would prefer 2 fan instead of 3 fan for lower noise.
What probably makes the most difference will be the software, I want good control over the fans and monitoring of temps etc. Reviews often don't go into detail on the software much so thought I'd ask here what's the best ? Don't care about looks.

Considering these -
Gainward Ghost
Gigabyte GAMING OC 12GB
MSI VENTUS 2X
Palit Dual
ASUS Dual

Soldato
Using the QUIET Bios the Asus Dual is insanely quiet. About as quiet as you can get.

Associate
OP
Using the QUIET Bios the Asus Dual is insanely quiet. About as quiet as you can get.

That does look impressive, thanks for the info.

Associate
2 fans arent really quieter than 3 if they decide to spin faster to shed heat, just go for cheapest they no doubt all have 0 rpm mode anyway and afterburner can set custom curve so dont over pay for named stuff if you dont need it

Associate

I second that, my other half has the Asus Dual in her PC, I'm very impressed with how quiet it is.

Soldato
But does that come at the cost of performance?

That link I posted shows a 45Mhz core difference between the two BIOS which is essentially negligible. You will never see a difference. The main change is the fan rpm is slower and a slightly higher core temp, but it’s WELL within spec. Core temp of 67 and hotspot of about 80 with the quiet BIOS. That’s better than some of the cards in the comparison which don’t even have a quiet BIOS.

Associate

I am fed up with the fan noise from my Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti GAMING OC; I have to tone down the graphics in-game, and undervolt the card in MSI Afterburner so it does not get too noisy. So I want to buy one of these ASUS RTX 4070 Dual cards; can someone please confirm that this link is the right card (there is no mention of the Be Quiet BIOS in the product description): https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...dr6x-pci-express-graphics-card-gx-49c-as.html.

Associate
Generally speaking from my experience alone the Asus cards are the quietest in general. I have used plenty of 3xxx and 4xxx series cards from varying manufacturers. So in terms of fan noise when in use Asus are at least top 3. Now if the card has coil whine that is a totally different matter as most Asus cards that I have owned have had coil whine. So I am not sure if it would bother you.

Associate
Thanks; I was aware from reviews of the potential for coil whine in this ASUS card, but as my high pitch hearing is non-existent I did not let that bother me (probably the only advantage of being a bit deaf), and I went ahead and bought an Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Dual OC 12GB. It arrived yesterday; I had a bit of a wobble when I was getting a huge amount of fan noise, but this turned out to be my water cooler fans, which for some reason had lost their custom quiet curve and were running full blast. Now that is fixed, everything is rosy - using the ASUS GPU Tweak Silent Mode, I have got a 30 FPS increase with very low fan noise, in Horizon Forbidden West, running at much higher graphics settings (Very High) than before. This would have made my old Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti blow up a storm. I am not aware of any coil whine, but I am not sure I could hear it anyway, even when I am wearing my hearing aid.

Last edited:
Associate
Thanks; I was aware from reviews of the potential for coil whine in this ASUS card, but as my high pitch hearing is non-existent I did not let that bother me (probably the only advantage of being a bit deaf), and I went ahead and bought an Asus GeForce RTX 4070 Dual OC 12GB. It arrived yesterday; I had a bit of a wobble when I was getting a huge amount of fan noise, but this turned out to be my water cooler pumps, which for some reason had lost their custom quiet curve and were running full blast. Now that is fixed, everything is rosy - using the ASUS GPU Tweak Silent Mode, I have got a 30 FPS increase with very low fan noise, in Horizon Forbidden West, running at much higher graphics settings (Ver High) than before. This would have made my old Gigabyte GeForce RTX 3060 Ti blow up a storm. I am not aware of any coil whine, but I am not sure I could hear it anyway, even when I am wearing my hearing aid.
Glad you have a good experience with it. I love the look of the Dual white 4070 from Asus. I like it compact size and reasonable dimension not these new fangled super size cards that needs a new case to house it. god I miss my old 3070 from Asus. Even overclocked the fan barely ever span up. And would clock so well even surpassed my 3070 ti and to boot looked snazzy AF.

I would forego Asus Gpu tweak. You can do this instead. Get msi afterburner and undervolt it. then at the same time overclock it adjusting the core clock. I run all my graphic cards at 65/70% power limit. This limits power which limits the temps and then you just clock it up until you lose stability.

Having said that Most Asus cards that I have owned all clocked higher than other manufacturers. But the worst offending cards for coil whine are Asus that I have owned. Only the white strix 3070 was almost had none. 3070ti, 4080, 4090's and Oh my god the 3090ti the liquid cooled one the coil whine is nothing you like you have heard before. Coil whine was so high pitched and loud I had dogs outside my front door...

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom