Which of these PSUs?

Soldato
I did some research myself and dismissed the two OCZs.

For what reason? I'm in need of a new psu, and thinking I may aswell buy something around 600W+ to make sure I have more than enough juice for a quad and a 5870 when they come out.
I've been checking out the OCZ ModXstream 700W, it has good reviews from what I have seen, a decent spec and is a fair bit cheaper than the Corsairs/Be Quiets.

Am I missing any obvious downsides of the OCZ, I may have missed something since I'm a little out of the hardware loop at the moment!

Associate
OP
From what I'd read I think the OCZs are fine, and I was sorely tempted by the modular one because I don't have many drives (2 to be precise).

It was when I read some of the test review sites when they stress test and the OCZs failed on regulation or failed to deliver the full stated power - one quote I think said the 700 was realistically a 650.

Don't get me wrong but the others got glowing reviews all the time and are of similar price.

Out of interest the inside of the OCZ 700 is FSP and looks exactly the same as the FSP OEM. There is a certain etailer that sells the FSP OEM for too much £68 but it features regularly in 'Deal of the Day' at £35 and even £27. Now that would be a good deal.

Cheers,

Nigel

Last edited:
Soldato
Just found the OCZ 700W review I think you've read.
That's worrying.....

I'm also unsure as to whether I've really got £100 spare for a psu at the moment, I've been running it fine on a 400W Akasa Paxpower for the last few months without an issue, and its only struggling now because I've had a 4870 in it for some testing for the last day or 2.

Might just get a cheapish 500W to tide me over for the meantime, and save the high end psu for when I upgrade.

C64

C64

Soldato
Just save a bit more and go for a corsair hx 750 cant beat a 7 year warranty and they give you brand new sealed one rather than refurbished.

Back
Top Bottom