Which Oil?

Associate
I gave the duke a service the other week but the clutch has started slipping, I'm guessing that it doesn't like synthetic oil?

I was just wondering what oil you guys recommend and how am I going to flush the old stuff out and will I have to replace filter again?

Soldato
What oil did you use in it? I've never had a problem with bike specific fully synthetic oil, it's the only thing I use in my bikes. Synthetic oils designed for car engines can and do cause problems with wet clutches.

Man of Honour
I'm going to guess it may well just to coincidence that you changed the oil and now your clutch is slipping as that should be fine, Silkolene is decent stuff but like said I wouldn't have thought another oil change is going to help.

Is 10w40 the correct grade according to KTM?

Associate
OP
I'm going to guess it may well just to coincidence that you changed the oil and now your clutch is slipping as that should be fine, Silkolene is decent stuff but like said I wouldn't have thought another oil change is going to help.

Is 10w40 the correct grade according to KTM?

The manual shows SAE 15w50 and SAE 10w40, I doubt it's going to be the clutch though as it's only done 10k.

Soldato
It was castrol 10w40 motorbike oil.
A guy at work has recommended Silkolene, never heard of it myself but he seems to swear by it.
Some bikes just don't like full synthetic and get clutch slip.
the older R1's don't like it if the clutch is stock.
my ZR7 runs fine on Castrol full synthetic, but I am running stronger springs.
Silkolene is no better or worse than any of the big name oils, there all good
but people once they use one they like to stick with it.
a mate of mine will only use the brand rockoil in his zx10r, where I have stuck with Castrol.

Associate
Castrol Power 1, my bike runs perfect on that and doesn't use a drop between changes either. I believe there is a fully synthetic version but I use the semi synthetic.

Soldato
I've always just used Castrol Power 1 and not had a problem. As said above, just use what's recommended.

how am I going to flush the old stuff out and will I have to replace filter again?

I would just drain it overnight (filter & sump out) and fill with proper stuff. Should be fine.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom