Which one do I buy?

Associate
I've been on 1080p for so long now I want to upgrade. Started to play WoW again and wish to get a better monitor.

980Ti
6700k I7

Which one should I go for?

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/asus...descreen-led-monitor-black-red-mo-088-as.html

or

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/dell...een-led-backlit-gaming-monitor-mo-08z-de.html

Ive had the dell one and the previous tn version of the asus swift....

Both arrive with washed out colours but the dell was looking great after adjusting colours and that

Associate
OP
Ive had the dell one and the previous tn version of the asus swift....

Both arrive with washed out colours but the dell was looking great after adjusting colours and that

Which monitor turns dark if i slouch in my chair for example? my current 1080p does that i'm not sure if i want that again.

Permabanned
Which monitor turns dark if i slouch in my chair for example? my current 1080p does that i'm not sure if i want that again.

TN monitors change colours depending on the angle at which you view them.

TN - cheap, with fast response, not accurate colours reproduction
IPS - slower but very stable colours reproduction no matter how you move in front of the monitors, lower quality blacks
VA - the most real blacks and I think overall the one that should be preferred.

Associate
TN monitors change colours depending on the angle at which you view them.

TN - cheap, with fast response, not accurate colours reproduction
IPS - slower but very stable colours reproduction no matter how you move in front of the monitors, lower quality blacks
VA - the most real blacks and I think overall the one that should be preferred.

I must point out that this is missing information: You are right in saying low quality blacks and that IPS is indeed slower than TN, however IPS is not slower than VA.

With a VA panel you will likely get really nice contrast ratios and good viewing angles. Your blacks will also be pretty much perfect.
However, even at high refresh rates, most VA monitors have bad GTG response time, meaning you will notice a tiny bit of motion blur; more than that which an IPS panel will exhibit.

Personally, my go to is IPS and it always has been IPS. I tried a VA panel (Acer Predator Z35P) and had loads of smearing issues which just strained my eyes the minute I move around in FPS games etc

What you need to ask yourself is this:

Do you want to sacrifice colour accuracy for responsiveness? Choose TN
Do you play fast paced games and want excellent colours? Choose IPS
Do you play casual, immersive games that aren't very fast-paced? Choose VA

It does still come down to preference so the best way to figure it out is go to a retail store and see for yourself :)

Back
Top Bottom