Which other countries near Thailand for photography tour

Soldato
I'm heading east in a few months do some sight seeing and some photography. Which countries within an hour or so flight from Thailand would be worth visiting?

At the moment I'm thinking of doing a circle of Thailand (1st and last) then Hong Kong, Singapore, Kuala Lumpur.

EDIT:
I've added pictures of my travels to the end of this post. Big thanks to all that offered advice.

In the end visited:
Hong Kong
Vietnam
Thailand
Malaysia
Singapore

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
Vietnam, definitely. Cheap flights too.
Thanks for that, will look into into. Yes, I noticed all the local flights in this area are quite cheap.

Saw the thread title and was going to say Hong Kong and Singapore but see you have that covered. :cool:
;) Thanks for the confirmation of that.

This. Stunning country.
Definitely penciled in now, it look fascinating and it's midway between Hong Kong and Singapore so it makes sense to stop off.

Soldato
May I ask which months you're thinking of travelling? Plenty of opportunities in Myanmar, but most of the other destinations you have mentioned are modern cities, so I'm not too sure if it would interest you? Tickets are around US$120 return from Bangkok (DMK) on Air Asia, Nok Air & Thai Lion Air. Accomodation can be a bit pricier compared to Thailand. Fly into Yangon, spend a night and then head off to Bagan, Mandalay, Pyin Oo Lwin, maybe take in Inle Lake/Taungyi/Kalaw and then fly out, about a week I would suggest. You could extend it to spend a couple of days at Ngapali or Ngwesaung if you fancy sometime at a beautiful beach. In any event, I would want to make sure I was visiting before the onset of the monsoon.

Man of Honour
Don't know much about that part of the world - one area I've not been to. But just commenting in general a friend of mine headed that way a couple of years ago and generally wasn't that impressed until they visited Bali which for some reason they really clicked with - superficially doesn't seem like it would be that much different to (coastal) Vietnam to me mind. A little outside of your intended flight time though.

Associate
Visited Thailand for the first time in November this year and spent 3 weeks there. Started with 4 days in Bangkok then traveled up to kanchanaburi for the Bridge over the river Kwai and Hellfire pass for 3 days then headed down to Hua Hin for 5 days taking in phra nakhon cave which is so good for taking photos. Then got a ferry over to Pattaya to take in the Sanctuary of truth which again is great for photos before heading back to Bangkok for the last couple of nights. Its a lovely country and the people are great so you should enjoy it a lot.

Will be watching this thread as I want to go back next November but I am also thinking of spending some time in Vietnam on that trip but also want to get down to the south of Thailand and maybe some islands. YljUqqx.jpg
zJrgWTt

Last edited:
Soldato
OP
May I ask which months you're thinking of travelling? Plenty of opportunities in Myanmar, but most of the other destinations you have mentioned are modern cities, so I'm not too sure if it would interest you? Tickets are around US$120 return from Bangkok (DMK) on Air Asia, Nok Air & Thai Lion Air. Accomodation can be a bit pricier compared to Thailand. Fly into Yangon, spend a night and then head off to Bagan, Mandalay, Pyin Oo Lwin, maybe take in Inle Lake/Taungyi/Kalaw and then fly out, about a week I would suggest. You could extend it to spend a couple of days at Ngapali or Ngwesaung if you fancy sometime at a beautiful beach. In any event, I would want to make sure I was visiting before the onset of the monsoon.
I'm looking to be going before the rainy season in May but some time in March/April is most probable. Thanks for your insight into places to see in Myanmar, I will check them all out.

Don't know much about that part of the world - one area I've not been to. But just commenting in general a friend of mine headed that way a couple of years ago and generally wasn't that impressed until they visited Bali which for some reason they really clicked with - superficially doesn't seem like it would be that much different to (coastal) Vietnam to me mind. A little outside of your intended flight time though.
Funny you should mention Bali but a few years back I use to pop into my local sauna on a regular basis and often ended up chatting to Policeman and his wife and they loved Bali, speaking of it in glowing terms. It is a little out of the way so it might not be feasible but I'll definitely do some checking before ruling it out.

Visited Thailand for the first time in November this year and spent 3 weeks there. Started with 4 days in Bangkok then traveled up to kanchanaburi for the Bridge over the river Kwai and Hellfire pass for 3 days then headed down to Hua Hin for 5 days taking in phra nakhon cave which is so good for taking photos. Then got a ferry over to Pattaya to take in the Sanctuary of truth which again is great for photos before heading back to Bangkok for the last couple of nights. Its a lovely country and the people are great so you should enjoy it a lot.

Will be watching this thread as I want to go back next November but I am also thinking of spending some time in Vietnam on that trip but also want to get down to the south of Thailand and maybe some islands.
zJrgWTt
Much thanks for the info. I will be spending some time up north but will also be heading south to check out the islands etc.

Soldato
I'm looking to be going before the rainy season in May but some time in March/April is most probable. Thanks for your insight into places to see in Myanmar, I will check them all out.
Very hot April/May, expect 40 -45 deg. C. March can be okay, but it starts warming up from end of February until the monsoon comes in June which cools everything down nicely, but the monsoon can create transport problems (flooding, roads closed, prices go up etc.). There's a few videos on YT of people who have run photography workshops to Myanmar (and Vietnam) that may be of interest to you.

Soldato
OP
Very hot April/May, expect 40 -45 deg. C. March can be okay, but it starts warming up from end of February until the monsoon comes in June which cools everything down nicely, but the monsoon can create transport problems (flooding, roads closed, prices go up etc.). There's a few videos on YT of people who have run photography workshops to Myanmar (and Vietnam) that may be of interest to you.
Thanks for the information. I've booked the flights now and will be leaving in February and coming back in March so hopefully the temps won't be too high.
I'll be going to Hong Kong first (tempted to get some camera gear when I'm there) then:
Vietnam, Burma, Thailand, Malaysia and then Singapore from where I'll head back home. Thanks to everybody for their input.

Soldato
OP
I have been to south & north of Vietnam and it is an amazing country.
Cheers, I managed to fit Vietnam in so spending 4 days there. Flights and accommodation have been sorted, this is what the plan is:-

UK -> Hong Kong ->
Vietnam (Hanoi, Ha Long Bay, Ho Chi Minh) ->
Thailand (Bangkok, Phi Phi Island, Krabi) ->
Malaysia (Kuala Lumpur) ->
Singapore -> UK

Last edited:
Associate
Cheers, I managed to fit Vietnam in so spending 4 days there. Flights and accommodation have been sorted, this is what the plan is:-

UK -> Hong Kong ->
Thailand (Bangkok, Phi, Phi Island, Krabi) ->
Singapore -> UK

That sounds great, Hope you have a great time and please report back how your trip went.

Soldato
OP
I would have ditched Kuala Lumpur and Singapore and spent more time in Vietnam or Cambodia both much more interesting and photogenic Singapore is one of the fullest places I have ever been!
I've never been so while I'm that side of the world they both have a few things I'd like to see with my own eyes. We're only spending a full day each in both of them. As I'm also going with the missus I have to cater to some of her wants and she wants to do a roof top pool in Kuala Lumpur. ;)

Associate

UK -> Hong Kong ->
Thailand (Bangkok, Phi Phi Island, Krabi) ->
Singapore -> UK

My think when I go on Holiday is roof top bars. So check out The Chil Bar in Ho Chi Minh City.
You might need to book in advance for reservation.

Outside of the city there is the cu chi tunnels and at the end of tour you can go to the firing range and shoot M16, AK47 browning M30 etc
Vietnam is a great place to visit

let us all know how you got on

Soldato
OP
My think when I go on Holiday is roof top bars. So check out The Chil Bar in Ho Chi Minh City.
You might need to book in advance for reservation.

Outside of the city there is the cu chi tunnels and at the end of tour you can go to the firing range and shoot M16, AK47 browning M30 etc
Vietnam is a great place to visit

let us all know how you got on
:D I don't have any 'thing' per se but the missus' is a roof top pool so we have to incorporate that :rolleyes:. Thanks for the tip; most things are fairly fluid so will see how much we get done. Hopefully I'll get some decent pictures to share in the thread.

Back
Top Bottom