Poll: Which party will get your vote in the General Election?

Which party will get your vote in the General Election?

• Conservative

Votes: 704 38.5%
  • Labour

Votes: 221 12.1%
  • Liberal Democrat

Votes: 297 16.2%
  • British National Party

Votes: 144 7.9%
  • Green Party

Votes: 36 2.0%
  • UK Independence Party

Votes: 46 2.5%
  • Other

Votes: 48 2.6%
  • Don't care I have no intension of voting.

Votes: 334 18.3%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
Soldato
Because there isn't the demand for it?

what a sad state we're in.
this will be the first general election I'll be able to vote in (first my registration was buggered up and 2nd I couldn't get time off work) but tbh I don't really think the main partys want what I want.
why should I vote for any of them.

Permabanned
what a sad state we're in.
this will be the first general election I'll be able to vote in (first my registration was buggered up and 2nd I couldn't get time off work) but tbh I don't really think the main partys want what I want.
why should I vote for any of them.

Boring subject of the day, but it is ILLEGAL for a company to demand you work in place of your right to vote. Don't let them do it again, it's pretty outrageous if you think about it.

(If however they offered you quad-time or something and you chose to accept, THAT is fine. But forcing/threatening or demanding your time instead of you voting? Nope - illegal)

Permabanned

why is there no party offering something different?[/QUOTE]

It's basically a problem with democracy.

What the majority of people want and will vote for is common knowledge to all the parties (there's polls on it all the time). Therefore there is a MASSIVE incentive for all parties just to do everything that the vast majority want, rather than stick to their principles or making their own decisions - so as to get power.

Hence the massive problem is all major parties tend to move towards the same point, have the same policies. Problem with the system basically, as time progresses the electoriate inevitably ends up with all the major parties being nigh-on identical rather then a clear choice :( It's happened all across the world. It's only in other forms of government that you get more radical change or policy implemented.

('Democracy is the very worst form of government, apart from all the others' - Winston Churchill)

Last edited:
Soldato
Liberal Democrats unbelievably.

Not voting Labour due to Harriet Harwoman

Not voting Tory because of what Tories/Thatcher did to this area after she beat the unions.

Similar stance where I live at the moment actually. Most people in the north east of the country are a little dubias about the tories and due to the slanging match with labour, have seen the worst of both parties. Lib dems instead got their councellors in my local area to write to us and tell us their policy ideas using newsletters through our front door.

And to be fair, I like the sound of what I read. Their council tax cut directly affects most of the people in my city so they definately know how to aim their policy.

Soldato
OP
Did you know that there are fewer British-born workers in the private sector than there were in 1997?

No one would have believed the scale of immigration, or the rapid expansion of the public sector - for these two are the only factors that have pushed the jobs total upwards. I will do a more detailed blog of this later on, but two key figures jump out. In the private sector, there were 288,000 fewer UK-born people working in the private sector in Q3 of last year than there were in 1997. Strip out pension-age workers, and there are 637,000 fewer.

Brown loves to include pension-age people returning to work in his figures for job increase. Strip them out and Immigrants accounted for 1.6m of the 1.7m jobs created since 1997 according to another set of unpublished official figures - a staggering 92%. So Brown should not talk about "creating" new jobs. "Importing" would be be a much better word.

http://www.spectator.co.uk/coffeehouse/5895033/british-jobs-for-british-workers.thtml

(links to raw ONS data included)

Soldato
OP
Not voting Tory because of what Tories/Thatcher did to this area after she beat the unions.
This is thirty years after Thatcher. Don't you think you're now comparing apples to oranges?

It'd be like me saying "Oh, I won't vote Labour. Not after Michael Foot tried to make Union membership compulsory for all working people."

Associate
why is there no party offering something different?

Blair bringing Thatcherism to the Labour Party to get him elected tends to do that.

Cameron in response then bringing a bit of third way into his own party to become more electable does it as well.

Both are probably too scared to offer any real change, Foot was the last try it in 1983 with a major shift to the left and before him Thatcher in 1979 with a major shift to the right. The way it is now we are returning to Consensus Politics all over again.

Soldato
I've said this before and i'll say it again. The Australians got it right. Parliment, as it stands, is in shambles. There's only one party i would even consider voting for and they don't have a chance of getting in to be honest. So we need a major reform, or even a revolution. Anyway, back to Australia, they fine you for not voting. But they have an 'abstaining' box on the paper. Enough people withhold their vote like that and you may just have enough of a voice to be heard.

Soldato
Caporegime
56% Labour

54% Conservative

49% UKIP :)confused: I thought I selected all the pro-EU answers)

48% BNP

23% LibDem

18% Green

LibDem is probably who I will vote for though lol :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom