Which path do I take?

Associate
OP
This is probably a really stupid question, but do I need to apply for a provisional bike license? I already have a full UK car license. If I do need to apply for one, where do I apply for it? :)

Associate
This is probably a really stupid question, but do I need to apply for a provisional bike license? I already have a full UK car license. If I do need to apply for one, where do I apply for it? :)

No your car license counts as a provisional bike license :)

Greenboi said:
Well yeah you need to do it on something with more than 33bhp, but if youre only licnesed to ride up to 33bhp, howre you gunna get the bike there without riding it? Youd need to be under instruction, in which case you use their bikes, which costs as its technically a lesson.

Im thinking of doing mine in a few weeks and this is what i was told

If you have got a ECU restriction kit (rather than faffing with washers, etc) then you can ride to the test centre with the full power ECU in your pocket and just switch it round when you get there. Or you can just do your test on a restricted bike, as mazda 6 says, cos they'll never know :p

Personally I think the whole 33bhp thing is stupid. You learn, and take a test, on a 125... then you've got permission to ride anything with 33bhp? Fact is, riding a 125 and a 33bhp restricted thing is chalk and cheese.
If you want to ride a big bike, learn to ride big bikes - or they should make it so that a 33bhp license is trained for and taken on a 33bhp bike (but I suppose that'd be too much hassle :rolleyes: however building the new test centres at £6m a piece wasn't too much hassle at all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )!

Two of my mates have gone the restricted route and they had such a shock going from 125 to big bikes that one binned his bike and has since given up, and the other went back to a training school for lessons on big bikes!
The crazy thing is that training schools recommend the 33bhp route as "the safest way" - absolute poppycock! As far as I can see, it lulls people into a massive false sense of security. "Oh, I can ride bikes now because I am fine on my little CG125". :confused: £0.02.

Last edited:
Associate
No your car license counts as a provisional bike license :)

If you have got a ECU restriction kit (rather than faffing with washers, etc) then you can ride to the test centre with the full power ECU in your pocket and just switch it round when you get there. Or you can just do your test on a restricted bike, as mazda 6 says, cos they'll never know :p

Personally I think the whole 33bhp thing is stupid. You learn, and take a test, on a 125... then you've got permission to ride anything with 33bhp? Riding a 125 is so much different to a proper bike regardless of it being 33bhp restricted or otherwise. If you want to ride a big bike, learn to ride big bikes (or they should make it so that a 33bhp license is trained for and taken on a 33bhp bike - but I suppose that'd be too much hassle :rolleyes: however building the new test centres at £6m a piece wasn't too much hassle at all :rolleyes: :rolleyes: )! Two of my mates have gone the restricted route and they had such a shock from 125 to big bikes that one binned his bike and has since given up, and the other went back to a training school for lessons on big bikes! The crazy thing is that training schools recommend the 33bhp route as "the safest way" - poppycock! £0.02.

Totally agree, like going from a 33bhp 600, to a then 100bhp 600 bike is just daft.. for two years you get used to pinning the throttle to get anywhere, then all of a sudden you pin the throttle with full power and the front wheel is off the ground quicker than you know whats going on.

Associate
Its called responsibility! Rode my 636 ninja home with no previous riding except for 4stroke 125's

Its obviously quicker - you just done crank it the whole way back!! (Esp with +2 sprocket)

Associate
Totally agree, like going from a 33bhp 600, to a then 100bhp 600 bike is just daft.. for two years you get used to pinning the throttle to get anywhere, then all of a sudden you pin the throttle with full power and the front wheel is off the ground quicker than you know whats going on.
Well thats a lack of self control then.
I went from a CBR125 to a CBR600F unrestricted - the only issues I had were being knocked off twice at sub 10mph by fools in a van and a Addison lee taxi in my first month.
If your unable to grasp the concept that you have more power at your disposal and to use it accordingly then that sort of person shouldnt be on the road on a bike....or a car for that matter!

Soldato
Well thats a lack of self control then.
I went from a CBR125 to a CBR600F unrestricted - the only issues I had were being knocked off twice at sub 10mph by fools in a van and a Addison lee taxi in my first month.
If your unable to grasp the concept that you have more power at your disposal and to use it accordingly then that sort of person shouldnt be on the road on a bike....or a car for that matter!

Agreed. You could say that going from a 600 to a 1000 is a bit stupid as the rates of acceleration are completely different, and that you should have a 750 in between or something. As kippermitten said, it's down to self control, and learning your vehicle.

Back
Top Bottom