Which PC game should I play?

Associate
I've purchased a few games based on reviews and popularity.

However, I'm not getting into any of them and find myself getting bored or not enjoying them after playing for a couple of hours.

Games I've loved and enjoyed in the past:

- Half Life series
- Medal of Honor Allied Assault (one of my all time favourite FPS)
- The old Doom games
- The Walking Dead Season 1 (Season 2 was OK but not as good)
- Championship Manager 01/02
- The very first Deus Ex (Human Revolution was OK but I enjoyed the first one more)
- F.E.A.R. (the first one)
- GTA V

Games I've tried recently but couldn't get into. I know I'm going to get slated now!

- Dishonored
- Crysis
- Far Cry series
- Borderlands
- Metro 2033
- Sleeping Dogs
- Portal series
- Battlefield 3
- Stalker
- LA Noire

The next set of games are again highly rated and I've seen YouTube videos of but just aren't my type:

- The new Doom (looks way too fast and frantic)
- Bioshock Infinite
- Deadspace
- Alien Isolation

So, based on my likes and dislikes, can you put some recommendations for games I can try?

Cheers

Caporegime
So, based on my likes and dislikes, can you put some recommendations for games I can try?

Did you give the ones you say didn't like a fair chance?

To get the ball rolling, I'd say take a look at the expansions to the first F.E.A.R. game, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. F.E.A.R. 2 is quite good as well (including the dlc).

Stalker is great (I'm biased), though I wouldn't even consider playing it these days without mods.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Did you give the ones you say didn't like a fair chance?

To get the ball rolling, I'd say take a look at the expansions to the first F.E.A.R. game, Extraction Point and Perseus Mandate. F.E.A.R. 2 is quite good as well (including the dlc).

Stalker is great (I'm biased), though I wouldn't even consider playing it these days without mods.

Yeah played them for at least a couple of hours

Soldato
Maybe you need to try something a little less mainstream so consider Grow Home or the recently released Grow Up. Takes a few mins to get used to the controls and use a controller but at least they're cheap. Very relaxing and somewhat challenging.

If you did happen to try them there was a bug that when the speakers are set to 5.1/7.1 sound the game can randomly crashes.

Soldato
Games I've loved and enjoyed in the past:

- Half Life series
- Medal of Honor Allied Assault (one of my all time favourite FPS)
- The old Doom games
- The Walking Dead Season 1 (Season 2 was OK but not as good)
- Championship Manager 01/02
- The very first Deus Ex (Human Revolution was OK but I enjoyed the first one more)
- F.E.A.R. (the first one)
- GTA V

Try Project: IGI

Soldato
To be fair a couple of hours in a lot of games is merely introduction time, though if you are sure you won't enjoy them then I would recommend alien isolation and life is strange is maybe worth checking not really related to the genres of the ones you mentioned but is a big hit!

Associate
Judging by your interest of FPS genre and low tolerance to the blasé, I'd suggest Superhot! It's got a nice twist on the genre and is pretty short.

Associate
OP
Maybe you need to try something a little less mainstream so consider Grow Home or the recently released Grow Up. Takes a few mins to get used to the controls and use a controller but at least they're cheap. Very relaxing and somewhat challenging.

If you did happen to try them there was a bug that when the speakers are set to 5.1/7.1 sound the game can randomly crashes.

Thanks for the recommendation. I've just watched a YouTube video and I don't think I'd enjoy playing it. But I appreciate it anyway

Soldato
FTL: Faster than Light

It's very nearly the best game I've played in the last 10 years.

Of the ones I've played, I'm broadly of agreement with your likes and dislikes (aside from me not enjoying Half Life and loving Portal).

I found Bioshock (original) to not be much fun. loved the world, intrigued by the story, bored by the gameplay. Didn't like Deadspace either.

I've recently been really enjoying my first taste of Dark Souls, albeit I'm only about 12 hours in and haven't had time to play any games at all for a few weeks. Good if you like a challenge and don't mind a trying/dying/trying/dying/trying cycle (I happen to like that sort of thing).

Associate
How about System Shock 2? It is an old game, but still a fantastically atmostpheric FPS with RPG elements and (i think) a great story (links up with Deus Ex in your post).

Maybe Just Cause 2 (haven't played 3, but i'm guessing it's very similar). Open world silliness where you can do as much or as little as you want of the actual game (like a better version of GTA imo)

Associate
I still haven't picked up Alien Isolation. Bioshock Infinite was pretty good. Need to go back and finish the DLCs at some point.

Back
Top Bottom