Which phone next?

Soldato
I've been an HTC user for a few years now, starting with my Desire C, up until my current U11. They are perfect, but I like them because they contain very little bloat from the factory.

I'm due for renewal soon with my current provider, O2. I don't have any plans to leave O2, but I am stuck about my next phone now that HTC aren't sold by O2. I am reluctant to go with Huawei due to recent headlines. I would consider Samsung, but their pre-installed bloatware is somewhat off putting. Then we have Honor who I haven't heard of until recently.

I'm not especially a heavy user of my phone. But I do enjoy how snappy my U11 feels and I like the fact I know I'm going to get a half decent photo when I take one. I would be content enough with a phone that is just as good my U11 is now, but obviously better is a bonus. I am not a heavy data user, I enjoy the freedom of unlimited minutes although I have been known to manage on 300 minutes each month previously. Text messages are seldom, as I primarily use Whatsapp.

I plan to get my phone directly from O2, while trying to keep my contract at around £35/pcm. So I'd rather keep any suggestions to what O2 can provide.

In a few words: Help me choose! :o

Soldato
Why are you letting your provider dictate your choice of phone? If O2 is the only provider that gives you a good signal, then fair enough. If it's loyalty, don't hold yourself back.

Having said that, OnePlus phones have a far more limited distribution than those of many other manufacturers.

Associate
Why are you letting your provider dictate your choice of phone? If O2 is the only provider that gives you a good signal, then fair enough. If it's loyalty, don't hold yourself back.

Having said that, OnePlus phones have a far more limited distribution than those of many other manufacturers.

Agreed, no sense sticking with O2 if they don't do the phones you like unless signal is the only option in your area.

Soldato
Note 9's have come down in price because the now 10 will be released soon.
They are available for around £500,down from 1k. A cracking phone at the new price.

Soldato
OP
I have thought about buying a OnePro 6 outright, but it's a lot of money in one big lump - whereas on a contract it's spread across xx months.

It's not so much a case of being loyal to O2. But I know where I am with them and they've always given me good signal and customer service.

Associate
I’ll go and suggest a Pixel 3a. You will get class leading photos, it’ll be snappy enough (moreso than your current phone probably), no bloatware and you can probably get one for £20-£25 a month.

Soldato
Since you don't sound like a heavy phone user, you could look for a Google Pixel 3A XL. You can pick one up with not much data for a lot less than £35 per month. No bloatware, good camera, long-term support. Not pretty and lacking in bells and whistles, but probably fits the bill for you.

Soldato
OP
Since you don't sound like a heavy phone user, you could look for a Google Pixel 3A XL. You can pick one up with not much data for a lot less than £35 per month. No bloatware, good camera, long-term support. Not pretty and lacking in bells and whistles, but probably fits the bill for you.
I've looked at that and it comes it at around £40/pcm on O2. But when you says it lacks bells and whistles, what do you mean?

Soldato
I've looked at that and it comes it at around £40/pcm on O2. But when you says it lacks bells and whistles, what do you mean?

You COULD pay O2 £40 per month (£960) over the term for a £399 phone if you wanted. Or you could go to mobiles.co.uk and pay £20 per month for the exact same phone on Vodafone, albeit with only 2Gb data. You'll get better than £40 from O2 retentions, but why bother waiting on their leisure to see if they MIGHT offer you something?

The 3A XL is a mid-range phone with stock Android and a good camera. It's got a mid-range chipset, no waterproofing, no wireless charging, bezels you could rest a pint of lager on, plastic body (not necessarily a bad thing). If it suits your needs, great, but don't pay more than a mid-range price for it, especially when there are some cracking deals available on other genuinely premium phones. For example, the Galaxy S10e keeps popping up at really good prices if you watch out.

Soldato
OP
Okay, after much deliberation, I think the Huawei P30 (not pro) might fit the bill for me. I haven't pulled the trigger yet, as I want to see what people think about the phone. Obviously the Pro is the better of the two, but I actually don't like the curved screen as well as the increased cost of the phone.

Soldato
OP
Bit of a thread bump as I have been half heartedly wondering about getting the P30 (standard, not Pro or Lite) or Samsung A71.

Would appreciate any opinions or even suggestions of another phone, available on O2.

Back
Top Bottom