Which SLR (yes, I know its been done before, but this is slightly different...)

Associate
Basically, I want a dSLR. I want it now :D

The problem I have is that I went into read me - no competitors today to try a few out (I tried the 350D, d50, and *ist) and found them all to feel like they were childrens toys - plastic and flimsy. I know people have taken great pictures with them - but I just can't get over the fact that I picked them up and they didn't feel, well, solid.

I'm coming from a Fuji S5500, which I have found to be really good, but I want a bit more. Comparing the 350d, d50, and *ist to the S5500 though, the 5500 feels so much more sturdy and solid, and feels more expensive to hold.

I know this shouldn't be a deciding factor in what camera to buy, but I somehow would feel cheated buying something that expensive if it didn't feel it.

So... how much do I have to spend to get a reasonably solidly contructed camera? I really cannot in any way afford much over £600 to start with - is the Nikon d70s any better than the d50 in this matter? I've seen that for £610 with lens, but I didn't think to try that earlier...

Thoughts/help please! :D

Soldato
ab1385 said:
So... how much do I have to spend to get a reasonably solidly contructed camera?

Canon 30D : £800
Nikon D200 : £1150

The D70s is better than D50 but it's still plastic.
Cheap D-SLR's perform well but are obviously built to lower standards.

Associate
The build on the D70/s is only marginally different to that on the D50, so if you weren't happy with that, you probably won't be with the D70/s

The D200 is fantastically built... But is really way too far out of your price range.

That leaves you with the 30D, perhaps you can stretch to that? Give it a whirl..
Another option is if you can find a 20D new anywhere, it'll probably be going cheap to clear stock.

Associate
OP
Thanks for the replies and welcome guys. I was hoping that someone would say that the d70s was built like a tank, but never mind :D

I'm confused about the competitors bit - I didn't think that read me - no competitors was a competitor to OcUK since I didn't think that OcUK sold Digital Cameras? If that was a problem, then sorry :)

Anyone got any ideas where might be a good place to look for a cheap 20d, now the 30d is out then?

Please, if you are asked not to post a shop because they're a competitor, that means don't post them, not say you're confused and post them again. Just by way of confirmation, OcUK do sell several digital cameras, including
-Berserker

Soldato
ab1385 said:
I'm confused about the competitors bit - I didn't think that read me - no competitors was a competitor to OcUK since I didn't think that OcUK sold Digital Cameras? If that was a problem, then sorry :)

OcUK sell cameras - Point & shoots and D-SLR's, along with SD and CF memory.

Cheap 10/20D's - ebay :)

Then you'll have another dilemma - Lenses. Do you go for cheap plastic ones or expensive tank built L lenses. The Canon 24-70L is probably the best built zoom lens available.

Whoops - you edited my edit. Please don't quote rulebreaking posts (or at least fix them first)
-Berserker

Last edited:
Soldato
Sorry, but OcUK do sell digital cameras - and therein lies the problem. :(

I woudl say the Nikons generally feel better built than the Canons. Maybe try a d70, but it aint that much different from the d50.

Associate
ocuk do sell digital cameras matey. i would start out that competitor if i was you mate.

maybe have a look on the popular auction site for your camera see what you can find.

Associate
OP
Ah, sorry, I didn't see that, I did do a search on the OcUK front page for 'camera', but didn't see it as it's on a sub-page. I shall edit out all the competitor names :)

EDIT: Has already been done. :)

Last edited:
Soldato
SDK^ said:
Whoops - you edited my edit. Please don't quote rulebreaking posts (or at least fix them first)
-Berserker

To be honest I didn't even notice the mention in the text I quoted.

Associate
OP
Well, yes and no...

You have helped inform me that I can't afford what I want :sob: - so yes, you have helped, and have my thanks for that :)

I shall now have to choose either to save for ages, or to buy a lighter more plasticky SLR and see if I get used to it. Has anyone else been bothered by the feel of the more basic dSLRs? It seems strange to me that the more basic compact cameras feel a lot more sturdy, even though they cost a lot less...

Do most people just get used to the non-metal construction, or was it just never an issue?

Soldato
I went from a crappy Minolta compact, to a Panasonic FAZ20 to my D70. Ive never had a metal body camera. For DSLRs those are limited to the pro bodies. Of the enthusiast ranges, the nikons do feel the best built. The handling is their USP, and they feel so good to hold.

Associate
OP
Actually, I'm not sure it's the metal that makes the camera feel solid - my S5500 I've just noticed is in fact mainly plastic - it more the density of the camera. The d50 and 350D just felt quite hollow if you know what I mean. Almost like they weighed the same as my Fuji, yet were somehow twice the size...

Soldato
ab1385 said:
It seems strange to me that the more basic compact cameras feel a lot more sturdy, even though they cost a lot less...
Get over the cost comparison between Point & shoots and D-SLR's.
A D-SLR is built completely different to a compact so will always be more expensive. If you want better build then you'll have to spend more money.

e.g.
A basic BMW (316i) comes with much less standard equipment, it's slower and costs more than a top spec Mondeo. With a BMW you are paying for the badge and the quality. If you want a faster higher spec model then you have to spend more.

Same with D-SLR's - You are paying for a large sensor that produces awesome quality images and the 'through the lens' viewfinder.

Soldato
Try a d70 with the 18-70 lens - it feels pretty solid. The d70 body itself is quite light, but add a decent lens and you have a proper package.

The 18-55 lens with the d50 aint a patch on the 18-70 with the d70. You can sometimes get the d50 with the 18-70 though.

Associate
OP
OK, sorry if I sounded like I was moaning SDK, I was just surprised when I went and had a play with them earlier on. Point taken.

Thanks JoeT - I'll look some more into the D70 idea - but for the moment I think I'll just get either a d50 or 350D and learn to live with the lightness. Just as long as in a year I don't feel the need to buy a 30d!

Cheers all,

Alex

Back
Top Bottom