Which UK Broadband Provider Should I Use?

Soldato
I wouldn't use their broadband just out of spite, even though I use them for my mobiles - I can barely make it through the day without either a physical letter, text message, popup from the Vodafone app (admittedly I could uninstall that), email or even occasionally phone calls from an authorised 3rd party trying to push their broadband offering. To the point I'm almost considering cancelling my phone contracts with them even though I have no problem with that and its generally been an excellent service for me but the pestering to take up their broadband is silly - if I didn't take it up the first few times I'm certainly not going to after the 100th time.

Glad its not just me. I'm in the same scenario as you, happy with the mobile service but their constant nagging about broadband is getting to the point where I'm thinking about cancelling the mobile contract :mad:

Soldato
Well they can’t do it now under gdpr unless you opted in!! Just opt out on your account page.

As other have said they are basically all the same, just go with the cheapest or one that offers the best value adds for what you want.

Associate
Personally, I'd avoid Plusnet.

I've been with them since 2012 but I'm now about to leave. Customer service has dropped considerably in that time and prices are expensive once your deal expires and they won't match new customer deals.

eg. In 2012 I was paying £18.99 for Line Rental, Unlimited Broadband and Anytime Phone Calls.

Since my contract expired, it's become ever more expensive - I was shocked to find out how much I was actually paying recently - they break it down into separate payments that make it harder to monitor eg. Line Rental is best paid using their Line Rental Saver as a lump sum every 12 months. You then pay separately for your Broadband Package and your Phone Package which are usually 18 months so they don't renew at the same time. The fact the line rental is separated can mask the true cost.

I thought mine had risen to around £26 per month but discovered it was actually now £33.45 (!) and that's with a £2.50 discount because I threatened to leave. So it would be @ £36 pm without the discount. This is for 6mb broadband not fibre (delivered speed to my house about 2 miles from the exchange and only a few hundred yards from the nearest cabinet).

Also, if you router has issues, mine did, after 12 months, they won't replace it for you. You're told it's out of warranty and you'll have to buy one so you can be left paying for a service you can't use because the provided router has failed.

Another issue is reliability. My neighbour, who originally introduced me to Plusnet in 2012, quit 2 years ago now because of stability issues. I have regular short sync drops although my reliability is quite good.

Would I recommend Plusnet now? No. Expensive packages once your initial deal expires, yearly price rises, customer services who won't replace equipment, reliability issues...

BTW, it's not the same as BT, my neighbour is now on BT and has much better reliability. I can't afford BT so I'm considering Vodaphone fibre now @ £28 per month for the same package as above but with a guaranteed 19mb to my premises and £7 per month cheaper than Plusnet.

Soldato
What does gripe me is that you have to haggle with all providers, the price should be the price. Like it or leave it.

For instance I pay quite a bit less then the above poster for a better service on plusnet.

I tend to ring up every time the contract runs out as there is always a better deal to be had via cash back or gift card. Not meeting a new customer offer is an instant leave for me just out of principle.

But the Poster aboves experience is the same you get with any provider, doesn’t really matter who you go with.

Last edited:
Soldato
What does gripe me is that you have to haggle with all providers, the price should be the price. Like it or leave it.

For instance I pay quite a bit less then the above poster for a better service on plusnet.

I tend to ring up every time the contract runs out as there is always a better deal to be had via cash back or gift card. Not meeting a new customer offer is an instant leave for me just out of principle.

But the Poster aboves experience is the same you get with any provider, doesn’t really matter who you go with.

This is so true.

I cancelled with Virgin on Saturday after being with them for almost twenty years (well, it was Blueyonder at first) after they cancelled loyalty discounts and being messed around a bit.

Lo and behold, just had a call from them with a lot better offer than the guy on Saturday, who said his offer was the best they could do.

Upgraded from 70 to 200Mbps, two free months (£66 worth, inc. the one month at inflated cost---which is why I cancelled), and guaranteed price for 18 months with no November price increase, and £16 cheaper than what they were going to charge.

Soldato
A few points:

Equipment is provided usually free or heavily subsidised, it’s usually average at best so ideally best replaced with something decent, however legally you have a minimum of two years warranty on it, not 12 months, it also should be fit for purpose for the duration of the contract.

When your contract is due to expire you work out the best deal including offers/cash back and then call your provider, if they can’t offer you a similar deal then you switch, it’s that simple. The whole market sells based on a fixed price service and markets based on a discount/sale model.

Retention’s offers are tiered, the person you speak to post disconnection has set criteria/offers/budget, once you book a disconnection then you generally get a better offer, when you actually disconnect you can get an even better offer. Take Sky for example: 20% post disconnection, after you disconct you will see up to 70%.

In terms of service Plusnet will haggle, they will match offers near enough, they have decent service relative to the rest of the industry etc. I’d take them over BT usually (same company), between them and Sky that’s my go-to options.

Soldato
I had plusnet broadband for about 4 years. No problems particularly - some issues with the bt side, but plusnet kept their end up well enough. A bit of a long wait on the phone if you do need to call them.

Moved to talktalk broadband, taking advantage of £110 cashbook, a year ago. I've had no reason at all to contact them, it's again been fine.

Just recently signed up to Vodafone fibre - only £40 cashback this time but cheaper monthly payment than before despite the faster connection. Not switched yet, so will have to wait and see how that goes.

Man of Honour
Personally, I'd avoid Plusnet.

I've been with them since 2012 but I'm now about to leave. Customer service has dropped considerably in that time and prices are expensive once your deal expires and they won't match new customer deals.

Not experienced that, they matched new customer deals on Live Chat. As for equipment replacement, theirs is the usual ISP rubbish, I run my own so doesn't effect me. Every time I've had to get in touch with them they've been grand.

Associate
Not experienced that, they matched new customer deals on Live Chat. As for equipment replacement, theirs is the usual ISP rubbish, I run my own so doesn't effect me. Every time I've had to get in touch with them they've been grand.

With me the most they've ever offered was £2.50 off their Broadband Package cost and that was even after requesting a MAC code, in the days when you needed them. Maybe they don't like me because I'm had a fair few issues or maybe they just don't think I'll actually leave after 7 years.

I see their prices are going up again in June: This from a random google: https://www.thesun.co.uk/money/5989...-thousands-of-customers-by-12-a-year-in-june/

As for equipment, my understanding is Plusnet went over to their own managed network, separate from BT in 2016, although they kept that quite from everyone suffering lag and high latencies.

On Broadband.co.uk they rate as average.

On UK Trustpilot, probably the more likely option for the less technical customer, they're now down to 1 star out of 5 on rating, and there are many bad reviews posted within the last few hours: https://uk.trustpilot.com/review/www.plus.net

On google, (just search plusnet and look to the right for the google panel), they rate 2.1 out of 5 from 129 reviews.

Maybe each has their own experience, but mine hasn't been good. Customer service is polite and English, beyond that can't say much positive.

Last edited:
Man of Honour
That's the problem with review sites, people only tend to bother posting about poor experiences. I'm on my second year with them, was previously with them and have never really had an issue.

Soldato
Just look at talk talk, absolutely horrendous reputation and have feature on consumer rights programs like Watchdog many times for things like dodgy billing and shocking customer service.

Yet they have millions of customers, the main reasons for this is that they offer basically the same products as everyone else and are competitive on price. The vast majority of their customers do not have a problem.

You will find ‘shocking’ horror stories daily on every ISP yet they all attract millions of customers still. They all offer basically the same product, their helplines are all equally as poor and their staff are generally all equally lacking in technical expertise but none of these companies will be able to improve this because the majority of people only care about the monthly £££. The race to the bottom is king for consumers.

There are other more niche providers out there that offer a better service and support but they are all much more expensive and don’t attract mass market customers.

Associate
Just recently signed up to Vodafone fibre - only £40 cashback this time but cheaper monthly payment than before despite the faster connection. Not switched yet, so will have to wait and see how that goes.

Where did you get the cashback deal from?

Thanks.

Soldato
That Quidco Compare Home broadband finder isn't very helpful.

For example it makes Vodafone look much cheaper than Plusnet because the cashback rates are incorrect.

On their finder:-

Vodafone: 12 x £27 = £324 - £40 cashback = £284
Plusnet: 12 x £29.99 = £359.88 + £15 setup - £28 cashback =£346.88

On their main site the cashback for Plusnet is £85 at the moment with nothing offered for Vodafone.

Plusnet: 12 x x £29.99 = £359.88 + £15 setup - £85 cashback = £289.88

Cashback rates obviously vary all the time, but at the moment it would appear that Plusnet only costs £5.88/year more than Vodafone and it's a 12 month contract not 18.

Soldato
That Quidco Compare Home broadband finder isn't very helpful.

For example it makes Vodafone look much cheaper than Plusnet because the cashback rates are incorrect.
It worked out £5/month cheaper for me on Voda (wife is already a Voda customer, so an extra £2/month off), before taking into account cashback, so the higher plusnet cashback (I also noted that the Quidco Compare tool doesn't give the best rate) didn't cover it. £30 cheaper for 1 year, but then an 18 month contract.

I went for the slower fibre (only £70 cashback with plusnet), and anytime calls.

Soldato
Many of the reviews on TrustPilot just prove that there’s a large pool of idiots out there.

This. Reviews by idiots (like posts from them), only serve to prove idiots exist. I don't deny any ISP has/had/will have issues, but some of those reviewers should make anyone reading them, with even a basic grasp of how a connection is provisioned cringe.

Soldato
I'm with Plusnet for about 4 years now on FTTC, been ok no reason to change. Get quite consistent performance and almost no issues.

Soldato
This. Reviews by idiots (like posts from them), only serve to prove idiots exist. I don't deny any ISP has/had/will have issues, but some of those reviewers should make anyone reading them, with even a basic grasp of how a connection is provisioned cringe.

I had a look at those reviews on Trustpilot and two things stuck out for me - people claiming that PlusNet had messed them about on billing and cancellation (EXACTLY what happened to me over a decade ago) and the fact that the support team want to be contacted;

“PlusNet Support Staffer” said:
If you can contact us via Facebook, Twitter or at our Community Forums (http://community.plus.net), we'll be happy to investigate this further. -Anoush

Now, I may not be a front Line support technician but I don’t really see Facebook or a Twitter as good places to get deep analysis of my issues and while the support forums is probably a better bet - ALL those options require you to have a working internet connection, and maybe not having a working internet connection is why you want to contact them?

So you try to phone up and the No. 3 biggest complaint on Trust Pilot is the very, very, very slow Phone support.

I’d have to say, I’m not seeing anything there to make me go back to them.[/quote]

Back
Top Bottom