Which wet chain lube to get?

Soldato
Hi,

I want to get a chain lube that doesn't need to be reapplied every time I ride my bike in rain, well, I want one that doesn't need to be reapplied often too. I am going to ride my bike through this winter so it's going to be wet every day (it's been wet almost every day now for the last few weeks anyway). I ride CBF600 and I use it to commute so no extreme speeds, approximately 100miles p/w.

I’ve only had this bike for couple of months now and the chain was lubbed when it was checked about a month ago in local garage but I can see that the lube is wearing off slowly now.

I am not going to clean my chain everytime I lube my chain but I might make some extra effort during spring/summer time.

Thanks for your help.

Soldato
I used Castrol Chain Wax on my old bikes, but have a Scottoiler fitted to the S4.

The wax is good, reapply every weekend and you won't go far wrong, but the Scottoiler wins hands down for practically no chain maintenance (it is an auto lubing system -drops oil onto the chain at desired frequency).

Soldato
OP
I used Castrol Chain Wax on my old bikes, but have a Scottoiler fitted to the S4.

The wax is good, reapply every weekend and you won't go far wrong, but the Scottoiler wins hands down for practically no chain maintenance (it is an auto lubing system -drops oil onto the chain at desired frequency).

Scottoiler is too expensive to try, I need a cheaper solution really.

I'll check Castrol Chain Wax.

EDIT: The U.K's best selling chain wax is no more!! Castrol have now replaced their best selling chain wax with the new Chain Lube Racing.

It seems you can no longer buy it.

Last edited:
Soldato
Scottoiler is too expensive to try, I need a cheaper solution really.

The Tutoro is a very inexpensive (£17) manual version of a Scott Oiler that won a best buy award in one of the bike magazine recently. The only difference is that you have to switch it on and off manually instead of relying on engine vacuum.

If you want some stuff in an aerosol the Wurth Dry Chain Lube is very good, doesn't fling at all IME.

Soldato
OP
The Tutoro is a very inexpensive (£17) manual version of a Scott Oiler that won a best buy award in one of the bike magazine recently. The only difference is that you have to switch it on and off manually instead of relying on engine vacuum.

If you want some stuff in an aerosol the Wurth Dry Chain Lube is very good, doesn't fling at all IME.

I've read a lot about Wurth Dry Chain Lube but apparently it needs reapplying after every wet ride.

Associate
After spending an hour on the internet I am confused, I am going to use cheap engine oil I think :p
No! gear box oil is the best, thicker so stays on longer.

Also this:
Castrol have now replaced their best selling chain wax with the new Chain Lube Racing.

Is rubbish IMO - flings off and takes a mammoth effort to clean off wheels and body work.

I vote for:

Wurth dry lube
Muc Off dry lube (trying this now and seems to be as good as the wurth)

The dry lubes are very good at keeping the chain clean too.

For winter defo get a auto or partially auto oiler - Ive got a Scott that will go on my winter hack when I buy it.

Soldato
OP
I've read somewhere that Scottoilers use just some oil based lubricant so basically you could do the same by hand. I can only find online dry lubes but this will not work for me. My work mate got very oily chain, he got the stuff from local dealer, he will let me know what it is tomorrow as he can't remember.

Also my chain was lubricated last time about 4 weeks ago and the chain is still not rusted so it definitely wasn't some dry lube and I get my bike wet all the time.

Soldato
I use EP 80/90 Gear Oil on my chain the litre bottles generally come with a pull out tube so I just rotate the wheel whilst allowing the oil to run into the O-Rings one side of the chain at a time. I have more confidence in the lubricating properties of this method than the dry chain lubes which generally end up on the plates rather than inside the rings. Washing the bike (degreasers) neccesitates another lubing session but other than that it lasts well enough.

Soldato
OP
I use EP 80/90 Gear Oil on my chain the litre bottles generally come with a pull out tube so I just rotate the wheel whilst allowing the oil to run into the O-Rings one side of the chain at a time. I have more confidence in the lubricating properties of this method than the dry chain lubes which generally end up on the plates rather than inside the rings. Washing the bike (degreasers) neccesitates another lubing session but other than that it lasts well enough.

I wasn't sure which EP 90 to get as Halfords has 2 different ones but thanks to you I'll get the second one.

Gear Oil 75W/90 GL5 1L
Gear Oil EP80W/90 GL4 1L

Soldato
I've read somewhere that Scottoilers use just some oil based lubricant so basically you could do the same by hand. I can only find online dry lubes but this will not work for me. .

The difference is that a Scottoiler (or equivalent) continuously lubricates the chain with small amount of oil, whereas you'd just plaster the chain in a load of it that would be mostly over your rear wheel by the end of your road.

I don't know where you read that the dry chain lubes need applying every time you ride it, but I did about 270 miles on my bike over the weekend and the Wurth lube is still on the chain looking nice and clean.

Don't use the sticky oily stuff because:
1) It flings off and gets everywhere.
2) Dirt and grit sticks to it and forms a good alternative to a grinding paste.

Back
Top Bottom