Which white case?

Associate
I am looking to upgrade my current setup (in my signature). So far I had my mind set on these items:

NZXT S340 Elite White
NZXT Hue+ Kit
A new GPU (possibly 1060 6GB) preferably in white
New 16GB DDR3 memory (preferably white)
NZXT Kraken X52/62

The order is what I would be buying the kit in but I saw a few other cases and was looking for advice.

NZXT S340 Elite White
or
Phantek P400S White
or
Corsair 400C White

Which case is better?

:)

Soldato
Nothing wrong with the PSU at the top of 303... it's a good case and the quick release mechanism for the glass panel is a million times better than the 4 screws on the others. The Phanteks P400S is probably going to be quietest of your selections, plus it has the RGB feature which is nice... would save you money unless you simply MUST have the Hue+. Cooling wise they will all broadly be the same. Depends what your priority is really? The S340 is kind of designed with the X52/X62 and Hue+ in mind, so that's a good combo.

Soldato
Nothing wrong with the PSU at the top of 303...
PSU's position at top was designed in era 20+ years ago when PC's components typically produced something like 50W heat and PSU itself produced more heat for half of that and hence anyway used fans running at higher speeds.
If designers had had any idea of heat output of coming PCs they wouldn't have used PSU as case exhaust.
Need for better place actually started at time of Intel's Pentium 4, when graphics cards produced below 100W of heat.
Now PSUs aren't even designed to exhaust heat from case, with their often agressive minimizing of fan speed to keep noise level low.

Also overall cooling design is somewhat dubious.
If purpose is natural convection helped bottom to top air/heatflow Inwin should have rotated motherboard 90 degrees like Silverstone has done:
Now graphics card blocks easy path of fresh air for CPU heatsink.
And worser if graphics card is fashionable and very common non-reference model it literally baths CPU heatsink with its heat.
Using water cooling to transfer heat to top could solve that, but PSU still gets bathed with heat.
And like pointed out by Anandtech's review HDDs won't be getting any kind cooling no matter how much fans you add into it.

Design is basically aimed at this ideology: It's different than standard so it must be good.
Though at least pricing isn't fashion bloated.

Soldato
PSU's position at top was designed in era 20+ years ago when PC's components typically produced something like 50W heat and PSU itself produced more heat for half of that and hence anyway used fans running at higher speeds.
If designers had had any idea of heat output of coming PCs they wouldn't have used PSU as case exhaust.
Need for better place actually started at time of Intel's Pentium 4, when graphics cards produced below 100W of heat.
Now PSUs aren't even designed to exhaust heat from case, with their often agressive minimizing of fan speed to keep noise level low.

Also overall cooling design is somewhat dubious.
If purpose is natural convection helped bottom to top air/heatflow Inwin should have rotated motherboard 90 degrees like Silverstone has done:
Now graphics card blocks easy path of fresh air for CPU heatsink.
And worser if graphics card is fashionable and very common non-reference model it literally baths CPU heatsink with its heat.
Using water cooling to transfer heat to top could solve that, but PSU still gets bathed with heat.
And like pointed out by Anandtech's review HDDs won't be getting any kind cooling no matter how much fans you add into it.

Design is basically aimed at this ideology: It's different than standard so it must be good.
Though at least pricing isn't fashion bloated.

While it's not going to break any records, the 303 is perfectly fine. I built a custom loop in to one and it ran cool, quiet and without any issues whatsoever. For air cooling I think it is less than optimal, but by no means a poor choice.

Unless you're chasing the lowest temps as a hobby, there really isn't a BAD choice when it comes to most cases on the market these days. Yes some will cool better than others, but the wide tolerance range of any component will not lead to any performance or safety issues.

Associate
If you are open to suggestions on another case , i would say the Fractal Design Define R5 in White

I got one and the case is bliss to work with and has plenty of options for my AIO cooling

Associate
I am looking to upgrade my current setup (in my signature). So far I had my mind set on these items:

NZXT S340 Elite White
NZXT Hue+ Kit
A new GPU (possibly 1060 6GB) preferably in white
New 16GB DDR3 memory (preferably white)
NZXT Kraken X52/62

The order is what I would be buying the kit in but I saw a few other cases and was looking for advice.

NZXT S340 Elite White
or
Phantek P400S White
or
Corsair 400C White

Which case is better?

:)

Phanteks has better fan support than the NZXT so has options for mounting top radiator.

Corsair 400C is probably the best of the 3 but doesn't have tempered glass if that's an issue.

The Inwin 303 is a perculiar case, I'm personally not fond of the LED logo all over the front panel

Back
Top Bottom