which wireless router? (PS3)

Associate
I'm having trouble to decide which wireless router to get for my PS3. At the moment im using a wired Linksys ADSL2MUE ethernet modem but i want to share the internet from the PC to my PS3 in the living room (approx 15-20metres through a couple of walls). Trying to do my own research i found a lot of disgruntled consumers asking for help because the wireless router wouldnt work with the PS3 obviously i dont want to buy something that wont work, so if any of you currently own a PS3 and use a wireless router what type do you use and did you have any trouble setting it up? (im a networking noob so good lay man's terms are a bonus :D)

thanks and merry xmas :)

Soldato
I have no idea which work and which don't, I think most of the problems with wireless routers are solved with PS3 updates.

I had problems in the past with enabling WPA protection but now it has worked fine for months ***touches wood***

I have a very cheap SMC wireless router so I also think it isn't that expensive ones work and cheap ones don't.

Soldato
Merry Christmas to you too. You're posting rather early btw aren't you :O

My original router didn't work. After much, much googling I found out that 802.11b routers don't work too well with the PS3. So I got a 802.11g router. This one: Linksys WRT54GC - It's really good.

Last edited:
Soldato
I used a linksys for a while on my PS3 but with a lot of traffic it used to just shutdown, now i have a belkin one and its fine. Most seem to be fine though and have used a netgear router also, think it was just my particular model of linksys giving me problems, as many use them linksys and have no problems with them at all.

Caporegime
I have never had as many problems with routers as I have with Belkin, utter rubbish.
I used a Linksys faultlessly with around 8-10 wireless devices on the network without any problems at all.
I also find Netgear make pretty good routers too.

I'd stay well enough away from Belkin though, I'll never buy Belkin products again.

Soldato
i have two linksys routers. one budget, one 'enterprise class'. both of them half their faults. my wrt45g is restarting a lot, i cant stop it. my wrvs4400n has just completely dropped the wireless side. woooonderful.

linsys are great but arrrgh. they are driving me nuts. this belkin i have sitting here is the only thing that isnt giving me trouble atm

Associate
I have never had as many problems with routers as I have with Belkin, utter rubbish.
I used a Linksys faultlessly with around 8-10 wireless devices on the network without any problems at all.
I also find Netgear make pretty good routers too.

I'd stay well enough away from Belkin though, I'll never buy Belkin products again.

Agreed, it wasn't so much the hardware I had problems with, it was the software and user interface being totally useless. Thats with a range of Belkin products too.

I have a netgear Router and it works very well with the PS3 under wpa. It did however refuse to connect under WPA when I upgraded the firmware, so I had to reload the older more stable firmware.
Netgear would be my 1st choice If I was in the market for a new router, with Linksys a close 2nd :)

Soldato
i use a netgear router. and up until yesterday (when i applied the update) it was pretty slow. But it was downloading very fast yesterday - im thinking 1-2mb a second but how do you check the details of the speed rate of transfer on the ps3?

Back
Top Bottom