Which wireless router?

C.K

C.K

Associate
Hi, I currently have 2 netgear wndr3700 routers linked together. One setup as an access point upstairs, the main one setup downstairs.

These are running off the virgin media superhub running in modem only mode.

I still can't seem to get decent wireless coverage all over the house though?

Could you recommend me a decent router that I could place in the center of the house and be done with it? Not looking to spend over £200 really.

Also, could the poor wireless performance be down to having 2 mobile network femtocells & wireless phones ?

Thanks,
Adam.

Soldato
The Asus RT-N66U is a popular choice.

What you'll need to get decent coverage will depend on the size and structure of the building.

Are the existing routers on different channels to each other and your near neighbours? Software such as inSIDDer is useful to see what's actually going on. If you can install it onto a phone or tablet you can have a quick walk around and see what the signal strength is like.

Are you most concerned about 2.4GHz or 5GHz?

The femtocells & wireless phones shouldn't be hurting anything, but I'd switch them off for five minutes to check.

C.K

C.K

Associate
OP
Thanks.

Before your reply I was looking at the Asus RT-AC66U.

The main router & ap router are on different channels. I'm not sure what channels the neighbours are on, but I will try and download that app to check.

Most devices that connect to the network are 2.4GHz, so that is my main concern.

Many thanks

Back
Top Bottom