Who feature in the OcUK forum rank images?

whats the idea behind the gangster avatars anyway?

why not have a gallery of pre defined avatars like other forums or just let people have any avatar they want with a size limit?

not sure on the exact idea behind them, but it used to be guns, back in the day when this place was a bit more manly nerds only and the bigger gun you had the more powerful you were, and then naturally they realised this was lame and wanted to keep the theme similar but cooler so went with mafia people.

i like it tbh, makes this place unique and i like that i's very easy to see the power difference between posters. on other forums i never know as there is too many that the high posters who are really part of the community no longer appear that way. they let us chose a sig, you don't also need an avatar.

Man of Honour
i like it tbh, makes this place unique and i like that i's very easy to see the power difference between posters. on other forums i never know as there is too many that the high posters who are really part of the community no longer appear that way. they let us chose a sig, you don't also need an avatar.

I'm a bit curious about what you mean with regard to power difference? Outside of the moderation team the the avatars just change with the number of posts that the user has and even then when it's just an option to change (or even to have one at all) rather than a requirement it doesn't necessarily indicate at a glance how much the user has posted.

I'm not convinced that number of posts is a useful indicator of contribution to the forums, some posters have a relatively small postcount but always contribute well when they participate and others have postcounts into the thousands but most of their posts are trite nonsense at best.

you see a lot of the avatars that are given based on post count, but then when someone like yourself posts to me it's much more noticeable without even having to look for it, so at least for me i can very easily see you're a don without realising it.

surely post count is a good indicator of contribution to the forums? it's not the best, but it definitely helps a newbie see the difference between a regular who knows this forum well and another newbie. if someone with 30 posts in the random image thread mentions the rules, and someone else who has 2000 posts i'm more likely to take what they say as correct. i wouldn't take anything as fact

Man of Honour
I'm not convinced that number of posts is a useful indicator of contribution to the forums, some posters have a relatively small postcount but always contribute well when they participate and others have postcounts into the thousands but most of their posts are trite nonsense at best.

Shame on those that fit into the latter category! For shame!

Man of Honour
you see a lot of the avatars that are given based on post count, but then when someone like yourself posts to me it's much more noticeable without even having to look for it, so at least for me i can very easily see you're a don without realising it.

surely post count is a good indicator of contribution to the forums? it's not the best, but it definitely helps a newbie see the difference between a regular who knows this forum well and another newbie. if someone with 30 posts in the random image thread mentions the rules, and someone else who has 2000 posts i'm more likely to take what they say as correct. i wouldn't take anything as fact

If it helps you to make a judgement on what the poster says then it's great to have something else to go on, I'm just highlighting that I'd not put too much weight on it.

Shame on those that fit into the latter category! For shame!

Indeed, how terrible. :o

Associate
Cheers for this thread. I always wanted to know this but never bothered to create a thread..

Something i've wanted to know is why are they those people? What's with the mafia/mob theme? who started it and why?

Back
Top Bottom