Who has a dog and works full time?

Soldato
In my head I know it's not the right thing to do and if you are going to get a dog you at least need to be around during the day for company in its earlier life.

But I'm just curious to know how many people on here have dogs and have had a dog since being a pup and how that worked around you working full time hours?

Currently live with the Mrs but historically when living at home with parents we've both always had dogs, we have no plans for children really in the next 5-10 years and so naturally the idea of getting a dog creeps up but we always decide against because we both work 9-5's and think it wouldn't be fair as we'd be out from 8:00am-5:30'ish every day.

We'd both love a dog but keen to hear how others have got on in this situation as I know we mustnt be the only ones in the same predicament.

Soldato
if i had a bigger place i would consider this. you can get good cages for them to sleep in and train them to be on their own. keep the radio on etc
it's not ideal though but if they were raised from a pup...

Soldato
I vowed never to get a dog working 9-5 however much I'd love one. Luckily my gf works 7-3 in education so it will mean the dog gets a lot less time on its own. Plus if we get it at the right time gf will be on summer hols for 6+ weeks and would be a good time to get it settled in by leaving it gradually longer.

Soldato
Bark bark bark bark bark bark! Bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark bark! All. Day. Long. Thats what you're letting the neighbours in for. Please don't do it.

This. I bought a house in October and the neighbours opposite have a dog which they leave outside all day long. All we got was constant barking....

Thankfully my next door neighbour complained about the noise and they were forced to make a gate in their back garden to keep the dog from being able to look out into the street and bark.

Soldato
I vowed never to get a dog working 9-5 however much I'd love one. Luckily my gf works 7-3 in education so it will mean the dog gets a lot less time on its own. Plus if we get it at the right time gf will be on summer hols for 6+ weeks and would be a good time to get it settled in by leaving it gradually longer.

I've got a Border Collie and I work 9.30-5.30 and am home by 6, my missus is in education and she does 7-3 and is home by 4 most days. We toyed with the idea of getting one for ages as I've always wanted a dog, it took a bit of shifting things around and a bit more commitment but we've made it work.

I don't leave until 9 in the mornings and he comes into the office with me a couple days a week. The missus is home by 4 or so most days and she comes home at dinner some days.

I walk him for a couple hours a day and he's with me all evening until I go to bed at about midnight. He's out with me in the mountains most weekends. When we leave him in the day, we leave a frozen Kong, stuffed with bread, peanut butter and dried food which keeps him occupied for an hour. The rest of the time he just sleeps!

Soldato
It isn't necessarily cruel, it depends on the breed, the individual dog and how you introduce it to time alone. Cages are good as they condition it to 'this is where I sleep' and they feel safer in there. I've seen dogs trot off to their cage and pull the door behind them when they've had enough :)

But while many dogs are confident, happy and will just curl up and sleep while you are away if you're unlucky or just stuff up the training consider what you would do if the dog wasn't able to cope with being left alone.

Soldato
I have always wanted a dog, but I live on my own, in a flat at the moment so for me - this isn't suitable and wouldn't be fair.

For your situation, I would advise against it unless you can afford, or would be willing to pay for a dog walker when you and your partner are out at work.

Soldato
Dogs are pack animals, they will do everything possible to remain with the pack, leaving them alone causes them stress.
CAN cause then stress... It depends on the breed, but more often on the individual dog and how they are trained. Both ours are rescues, but one was abandoned and spent a good deal of time surviving on his own.

What matters most is that they learn to trust you are coming back. Always.
Ours know when they're coming with and when not, in the latter case they just ignore us and amuse themselves.

Man of Honour
it depends on the breed

And the individual dog - even of the same breed some will amuse themselves for hours others will get incredibly anxious if left for long on their own. IMO if you are going to leave them for hours either get 2 as someone posted above or don't do it.

Back
Top Bottom