Who has disabled UAC?

Soldato
sajtion said:
its useless everyone should disable it

I disagree, some people need it very much. My parents often click things, then work out what they are after. Protecting system settings is useful in that sense. It can be annoying for the experienced user, hence they're likely to turn it off.

To answer the original question, I have :)

Soldato
should your parents be using admin accounts then?

I turned it off for the first couple of hours while I set things up then turn it back on and switch to a user account.

Soldato
even noobs who the uac is supposed to protect will soon get used to clicking yes on everthing without reading the prompts. again the weak point for any system is the user. :)

Associate
gumbald said:
I disagree, some people need it very much. My parents often click things, then work out what they are after. Protecting system settings is useful in that sense. It can be annoying for the experienced user, hence they're likely to turn it off.

To answer the original question, I have :)

Thats how i learnt how to use a PC, clicking things that I didn't know what they do and then discovering what it changed. If windows had simply stopped me changing stuff I'd never have found out half the things you can do and would probably still only be able to turn on a pc and use Word and FF.

Like someone else said people will get use to clicking yes when the box pops up though. Its like installing programs and accepting EULA's, How often do you read the steps and agreements? Most people just click accpt/next/yes the whole way through.

Suspended
Disabled this feature. It really is annoying. It wouldn't be too bad if the changes were system (ie do you really want to delete command.com?) But even things like moving short cuts in the start menu.

sw1

sw1

Associate
I work in the IT Security field and my personal opinion of UAC is very poor.

First up most users are going to hit yes anyway as they don't actually know, next people will disable it.

At least with Su & sudo access on Linux it prompts you to enter password credientials.

Soldato
if windows had a real account system for home users (not domain stuff) it wouldn't be an issue, but as most people use root rather than a normal user account its a nessisery evil.

Associate
sw1 said:
At least with Su & sudo access on Linux it prompts you to enter password credientials.

UAC does ask for admin password when you are logged in as a normal user. Not in admin user mode I know.

UAC is just like in XP when you double click an exe file and a prompt comes up asking if you trust the file. Same thing tbh

Back
Top Bottom