Who is excited about 4k / OLED?

Soldato
Sorry I do not have access to a time machine so I cannot travel forward in time and find that out for you!

Caporegime
Sorry I do not have access to a time machine so I cannot travel forward in time and find that out for you!

No time machine needed. Found this on What Hi-Fi.

Excellent news. My collection is still alive.

SonyMasteredin4Kdisc.jpg

350x700px-LL-f14e7377_4Kcontent.jpeg

Last edited:
Soldato
I know this might seem a strange thing to be worried about but does anyone know if the packaging for the new 4k discs will stay the same as current blus. I hope they do, so my new ones can slot right in my b bluray collection.

You probably know this but it's just a marketing gimmick, as the discs are all regular 1080p downscaled from the 4K digital film master.

Caporegime
You probably know this but it's just a marketing gimmick, as the discs are all regular 1080p downscaled from the 4K digital film master.

I realise it's a gimmick, but that's what was worrying me.

So gimmicky that there would be zero point in starting a new collection like moving from DVD to Blu. However, I didn't want them to phase in a new format with different packaging just for this gimmick, so that the discs would not sit alongside my current collection, as I imagine eventually everything will be 4K optimised.

Soldato
But isnt analogue film technically infinate resolution and most films are shot on 4k cameras these days anyway? If it is just a 1080p Blu ray then that is a complete gimmick.

By the way I would get your information from somewhere other than what hifi they are poor lol.

Soldato
I realise it's a gimmick, but that's what was worrying me.

So gimmicky that there would be zero point in starting a new collection like moving from DVD to Blu. However, I didn't want them to phase in a new format with different packaging just for this gimmick, so that the discs would not sit alongside my current collection, as I imagine eventually everything will be 4K optimised.

Also be aware that is just one studio's design (all Sony films I believe), a different studio may choose to do it another way.

When the "new format" arrives, be it expanded BR or something totally different, I would FULLY expect the cases to be different again. From a marketing point of view this is a must, so that they are instantly recognizable as the 4k variant, rather than "old tech" BR (even if it is just a quad-layer BR or whatever, I would still expect the media to be significantly different)

Soldato
Ah so it does have a few benefits, although nothing groundbreaking really as I have seen 1080p Blu rays with 38mb/s bitrate in the past.

There are three technical measures that elevate a "mastered in 4K" disc above the rest:

Enhanced bitrate: these discs exclude content extras in favour of using all available disc space to deliver the film in a greatly enhanced bitrate. Where most Blu-ray discs are typically delivered in rates in the 24Mbps to 30Mbps ballpark, these "mastered in 4K" discs deliver at 35Mbps to 38Mbps. A greater bitrate means a much clearer picture, and less moments where blocking or blurring will occur, particularly in action sequences.

XvYCC support: in the Blu-ray standard, xvYCC (also known as x.v.Color) is a colour space option that to date, has almost never been supported. XvYCC extends the available colour gamut to better represent the colour space that the original film was intended to be displayed at, while the standard sRGB space cuts off a lot of information in the red and blue-green sections of the spectrum. As long as your Blu-ray player and your TV support xvYCC, these discs will deliver a solid colour enhancement over other discs on the market.

Sony 4K algorithms: this final feature is a sweetener focused on giving Sony 4K TV owners a better experience with these discs than any other 4K TV owners. Being part of the same family, Sony Pictures and Sony Bravia have shared proprietary algorithm information to give the best possible upscaling performance on these films. Sony 4K televisions will be able to identify a "mastered in 4K" disc and use an upscaling algorithm based on the same formula used at Sony Pictures to downscale the film from 4K to HD. This secret sauce is likely to give a Sony TV the edge over other TVs that must use less-specific algorithms to upscale the content.

Back
Top Bottom