Who is mind boggled by Science and Tech

Soldato
Came across future/emerging technologies page on wiki. Who comes up with this stuff, it's like Harry Potter magic. Am I just thick, what goes through the minds of the people that theorize and devise all these technologies.

Here are a couple.

Mind uploading - possible upload the neural digital pattern of your mind, could render you a digital zombie though but on the plus side would give you digital immortality.

Memristor - missing non-linear passive two-terminal electrical component relating electric charge and magnetic flux linkage.

Chua extrapolated a conceptual symmetry between the nonlinear resistor (voltage vs. current), nonlinear capacitor (voltage vs. charge) and nonlinear inductor (magnetic flux linkage vs. current). He then inferred the possibility of a memristor as another fundamental nonlinear circuit element linking magnetic flux linkage and charge. In contrast to a linear (or nonlinear) resistor the memristor has a dynamic relationship between current and voltage including a memory of past voltages or currents

memristors can be combined into devices called crossbar latches, HP prototyped a crossbar latch memory that can fit 100 gigabits in a square centimeter,[9] and proposed a scalable 3D design (consisting of up to 1000 layers or 1 petabit per cm3)
Few more.

Smelling screen
Head transplant
Brain transplant
Programmable matter
Holographic display
Pure fusion weapon
Digital scent technology
e-Textiles
Quantum dot display
Brain-reading

Last edited:
Soldato
Me.

I love reading and thinking about the future and the implications it will have on us, society and the world.

Even witnessing the current changes in my lifetime, everyone having Internet, mobile phones, Facebook and how this has changed social interaction even since I was a teenager.

You should check out transhumanism and the singularity, Ray Kurzwell.

He is now employed at Google and some of his goals are to "cure" aging. The amount of data we are getting off of people the world over and can analyse en masse, think of the understanding we will get from that. Then there are the other questions, who gets to live forever, will they want to, what will they do, is retirement over but their wont be enough jobs for everyone so do we need to find an alternative to work? What about population growth, should you have a choice between yourself living 200 years or reproducing?

Anyway I could go on for ages about all sorts of other examples so I'll shut up now.

Soldato
It all makes working in research very, very interesting in terms of the ideas and research focuses floating around. In pretty much any area, there's something incredible being worked on.

While a lot of it won't ever actually turn into something useful, or may be completely different by the time it does, it's still incredible to see.

e-Textiles

My area :D

Associate
I find it all very interesting, only downside is I doubt I will be alive by the time they realise that people did not have to die :(.

I wish I had the money to freeze at least my brain when I die, I really believe one day they will be able to copy my "soul", in my opinion a brain is either like a computer hard disk drive and on some tiny level our souls and memorys are imprinted on the brain so whe switched off it is possible to reboot it, or more probable that it is more like RAM, as soon as the power is off all the data is cleared in which case freezing is pointless, need to keep brain physically intact and keep the nurons firing.

Permabanned
[FnG]magnolia;25802093 said:
Picture Rectangle

A rectangular shaped box shows pictures which move. Advanced picture rectangles can employ audio cues to aid the story telling.

You heard it here first.

I look forward to the release of your invention.

I would watch that movie.

Back
Top Bottom