Who is still stuck with ADSL??

Soldato
The people saying they don't need anything faster than regular ADSL, have you actually looked into fibre deals? You'd probably be paying the same for fibre as you are for your current service.

Soldato
I'm under a £10 for my ADSL. I did look into it, but I just didn't see a need to spend the extra even on the slowest fibre deal.

That's fair enough, but you can get fibre deals including line rental for £30 a month. BT's is £30 with a £35 activation fee, and once you take the £150 reward card into account and the £90 TopCashback as well, you're paying peanuts for Infinity 1. :)

Caporegime
Sky, for example, currently have a £10 activation deal and £30 for 40/10 unlimited including Line Rental. Compared to their standard DSL service that's a massive £1.01 more. It's unique to Sky TV customers but I think that's a pretty sweet deal. For the whole 18m contract too.

Other providers likely have something similar and it's not unheard of to get a discount on line rental and the Fibre come contract end.

Soldato
I pay £10pm including line rental for unlimited 17/2. No activation fee and a free asus router.

I only get 6/1 due to the distance between me and the cabinet hence it doesn't matter how good a fibre deal is if it's not available to me.

Associate
OP
Yeah..I would kill for fibre TBH..

Im on 17mb/s line, and told that is quite high for standard broadband..

And i'd kill for 17mb :D Seriously though, if i had that bandwidth on my ADSL line i wouldn't feel for such a need for fibre,i'm happy to make you feel better about your line anyway :p

Associate
OP
That's fair enough, but you can get fibre deals including line rental for £30 a month. BT's is £30 with a £35 activation fee, and once you take the £150 reward card into account and the £90 TopCashback as well, you're paying peanuts for Infinity 1. :)

True but ADSL does still have a price edge, it's not particularly hard to find unlimited lines for 'free' ,often with cashback and/or pre-paid cards as well,one of the small perks of being stuck with ADSL i suppose :D

Saying this i remember when broadband reached dial-up price parity and feeling sorry for those stuck on 56k,i'd give it a couple more years for base fibre to do the same with ADSL,who knows we could actually use it by then...

TJM

TJM

Associate
Openreach is either currently or about to run a trial of shutting down ADSL on an exchange in Scotland and expanding the VDSL frequencies so that it can reach properties farther from the cabinet and offer better speeds on long lines. Supposedly, if it works, the intention is to turn off ADSL in a few years.

Caporegime
Openreach is either currently or about to run a trial of shutting down ADSL on an exchange in Scotland and expanding the VDSL frequencies so that it can reach properties farther from the cabinet and offer better speeds on long lines. Supposedly, if it works, the intention is to turn off ADSL in a few years.

Openreach are trialling two technologies that will help. The first is G.Fast and this may help those close to the cab to get decent speeds rather than those further away and potentially increase speeds available to those close to the cabinet. More info http://www.ispreview.co.uk/index.ph...mbps-g-fast-broadband-138000-uk-premises.html

The second is called LR-VDSL and is part of the trial you mention I believe. It could give as much as a 20 Meg boost to those far away from the cabinet from what I've read. More info here

Soldato
Well the 12th of September is the day I finally say goodbye to ADSL and hello to Plusnet fibre.

Been a long wait but not so much longer now the checker said I would get between 44-61 Mbps download and 12-17 Mbps upload which is a nice upgrade from the current 7 Mbps I cant wait :D

Soldato
Well the 12th of September is the day I finally say goodbye to ADSL and hello to Plusnet fibre.

Been a long wait but not so much longer now the checker said I would get between 44-61 Mbps download and 12-17 Mbps upload which is a nice upgrade from the current 7 Mbps I cant wait :D
Delete your entire game library and download them again. Because you can.

Soldato
Surprised I've not posted on this thread. I was getting 1.7Mb but managed to bump this up to just over 3 by tweaking the SNR on my modem/router. Houses 1- 39 at the bottom of my street get FTTP (I'm #76).

Associate
OP
Am bored so thought i'd bump this thread as we still don't have fibre!!!

According to connectingdevonandsomerset.co.uk we are due to be upgraded by a 'private sector company' by the end of 2019!

Read a news article recently that g.fast is being deployed in Plymouth,not that is will do us much good!

/Rant over,will come back next year

Caporegime
Local authorities are so poorly equipped to handle the intricacies of the BDUK process. Essentially what can happen is some two-bit outfit can say "we're going to put in a fixed wireless service, these are the postcodes that will be covered" and then the council will remove those areas from any list that would otherwise have received funding to have an Openreach FTTC/FTTP deployment.

You end up with a 20Mbps wireless service run by a bunch of hobbyists and tiny data caps.

Soldato
Due to move in to a new build in Liverpool with expected internet speeds of anything between 1 and 7mbps. All the houses in the surrounding area have FTTC and virgin, very depressing!

I live on the outskirts of a smallish rural town, have had FTTC for at least 8 years now with 72 down and 20 up. My house was built in the 1960's, so the copper on the poles is likely to be old.
I'm telling you that because, in this day and age there is no reason at all for a new build not to have FTTP designed in at the start. OR, as long as they are brought in at an early stage (and the development is big enough) will install FTTP free of charge. To be perfectly honest, i would never buy a new build unless i was 100% certain that FTTP was planned for and installed at the beginning of the development. The developers of new builds have no excuse not to do this, it will cost them nothing (they would still have to lay ducts for copper anyway). I've come to conclusion the reason they don't do it is because they simply can't be bothered, i was going to use another word other than "bothered" but it would have been starred out.

Caporegime
Developers don't care because it doesn't add any value to a property (yes I know we would see the value, but the ~*market*~ doesn't), but it might cost them one full-time member of staff to work with Openreach across their entire portfolio to get FTTP in. So they don't do it.

Local authorities should make it a condition of planning, but then I get the impression that a developer would rather fight it in the courts until they get planning, or just lie and not do it.

The apartment I'm in at the moment was completed and then Hyperoptic visited and started installing their services five months later. The developer even had an ongoing relationship with Hyperoptic but just never bothered to talk to them in this case.

Back
Top Bottom