Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Associate
Who here owns a Golf GTD/GTI/R? Show me yours!

I have had my Golf GTD for a few months now, I was toying between the GTD and R for about a year. I decided to go for the GTD due to doing a 65 mile round trip each day for work.

I've got every optional extra I think except electric folding mirrors and xenon headlights (Soon to change), but then again I am not sure if they were only ever offered on the GTI and R models. I opted for the cloth interior against the leather, I wasn't a fan of the last leather I had in a previous car.

xlmOu7sl.jpg

Main 'extras' that I love:
Heated seats (Always loved the design of the seats too, they are comfortable, nice looking and have good support)
RNS510 + Bluetooth
Cruise control
Adaptive/Adjustable suspension, comfort for work, sport for.. well :)

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Is this going to be like the BMW / Mondeo / Fiesta ST / MX5 thread...if so, I have a Golf GTI...although not quite the same generation as yours. :p

15006771991_27eaf1e39a_z.jpg

No reason why it can't!

I've always had a soft spot for that shape, when I was younger my friends uncle had one and we used to go out in it. I loved it, I am only 23 so I was probably around 12 at the time he had that, before he upgraded to a mk4 golf. They are a nice car, it's just hard to find a clean one these days.

EDIT: What wheels are they? Look like a mix of Borbet A and Compomotive MO's together :)

Associate
OP
Yeah, that's why mine has the primer splodges on the side. :p

Mine was a bit butchered before I bought it and to be fair, I prefer it for that, so anything I do isn't really such a shame as I'm not screwing up a previously nice example. As you say, it's hard to find a decent example these days, even knowing a lot of mk2 people it's still hard to find decent ones.

I always think it's a shame with modern cars when they don't come with projectors as quite a few old ones did (granted mine didn't come with them, I made them) and they look better on the cars whilst also providing better light.
Are you swapping out your lights for Xenons?

I am, but I am still un decided on what to do.. My options are:

Buy some HID's and fit them for £20-50 depending on quality
Cons: look poor from the front as no projector, blind loads of oncoming drivers
Pros: light the road up for me which is what I want :)
OR
Buy genuine headlights second hand
Cons: £450ish for the lights, plus adapter £50, plus new CECM as I don't have a highline one for some reason £110, the auto level sensors and random other extras around £100.
Pros: Genuine, lights should hold value, they have auto leveling and turning whatever it's called, IE they move left if I turn left...
OR
Ebay copies
Cons: Copies, manual adjuster for height, doesn't have left and right turning motion.
Pros: Look decent, have the LED look I want and lights up the road for about £400, eg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181667243895?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
5QKow0Tl.jpg

I keep going towards the first option, purely because it seems so much to spend on the other two options... But, the other two looks so much better!

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Don't do the first option, it's bad and annoying. OEM is best but wow at £700+ just for headlights...that's rather a silly chunk of cash just for some better light output. I suppose the corner turning stuff is a bit more advanced so some of the cost can be blamed on that but still.
Personally I'd be tempted to go with the copies if I decided I had to change to xenons, but equally I'd probably just leave it stock at that sort of price.

This is why I have been debating so long, I don't want to be that c*ck that blinds everyone, but I want HID/xenon lighting in the car. I hate halogen bulbs with a passion!

Even at the price of copies, it is quite expensive and makes me think once I am in that territory I might as well go all out for the genuine...

I have a 64 Plate R , Just over 2000 miles so far, Can't complain with the performance :) . Pic's are some where on this forum :)

Awesome, did you get it brand new/or is it leased? I'm guessing you didn't get it used with it being so low miles and so new?

Associate
OP
Brand new (leased) with the DSG DCC and WinterPack as the only options added on a already very highly spec'd car.. Happy enough for now :D

I have DSG too, I wasn't sure I would like it as I loved the feel of 'being in control' but I actually really love it, it is nice to drive and if I get bored I can always put it in semi manual and use the shift stick!

My 63 plate GTI, one of the best cars I have ever owned. One thing I didn't like is the engine sound piped through a speaker on the firewall, that was disconnected straight away and new 'love/hate' exhaust fitted, I love it and that is all that counts.

Very nice, the MK7's are smart! What exhaust did you go for, is it a custom made or just an off the shelf?

Currently driving a MK4 Golf GTI 2.0 :D

This post is useless without pictures :)

Associate
OP
I do like the mk7, just a shame about the multiple exhausts (I know R32 etc. had them), it'd look spot on with just the twin on the left as per the older ones, bit more subtle etc.

I agree, although I like the look of the exhaust he has put on it was more the design of the exit pipe. It was something that put me off the MK7, the MK6 does have a better design but I think they have tried to go with 'more is better and means it's more powerful and faster looking', which simply did not work.

Associate
OP
I have had a MK5 GTI and a MK6 GTD. You really can't compare the diesel to the GTI im sorry, the GTIs are great fun the cars, the GTD felt like a good tool to me but not fun. The GTD served a purpose because like you we had a long commute.

OP you re missing quite a few options... DAB, upgraded wheels, font park sensors, park assist, suspension adjust, leather, LED lights and xenons. You got the flappy pedals for the DSG? What is good though is loads can be retrofitted :) I would certainly look at getting the xenons/leds. Maybe even the shadow wheels too, they look great.

I think I ll return to a golf next year, maybe the R depending on prices.

DAB - didn't really start going out there until about 2011 and the DAB model of RNS510 didn't exist in 2009 so that can be ruled out I guess and it's pointless upgrading from my B model as I won't really benefit much. I have suspension adjust. I don't class the wheels or seats as an option, they are more a styling preference as such, just like choosing your colour. Park assist is for people who can't drive lol :)

Yep I have the flappy paddles on my DSG

Get cheap copies off eBay. How you install them is 90% of it, most of the Chinese variants are built exactly the same but cost 1/5th of the OEM kit.

Osram nightbreakers, Phillips nightrapers, Bosch darkshafters...name your halogen, none of them are a patch on projectors with HID ballasts and bulbs.

I agree, halogen will never ever give that same effect. I will probably end up with some copies but ensure from a UK seller.

Associate
OP
Get LED rear lights too! They look great I think.

I think it's worth upgrading the RNS for C onwards as you get LED screen, bigger HD and generally it's quicker. You tried a firmware update so you can have radio text?

I've upgraded to I think 4120 it is from memory, which is the first firmware version before DAB. I think that it is the furthest you can take a B unit, but I am happy with what it does. I rarely use the radio, I use stuff on the HDD or play from my phone VIA bluetooth.

I will get the rears eventually, once I have sorted the front out :)

Associate
OP
Well they get worn quiet easily with muddy and wet feet from day trips and weekend trips and as i have to give them some protection otherwise i will have buy new replacement's which i don't plan to do on a lease..

If you go out doing some kind of hiking, then have separate shoes for the car.. But regular cleaning should work fine? you usually get a good 30k+ miles out of a mat before they see signs of wear

not even leather on an R!?

Leather is a personal preference, some people like it some don't.. I don't see it as a 'toy' ?

Associate
OP
Not easy to keep changing out of shoes, especially a family, i could not keep doing a shampoo and freshener to keep out the weekly accidents and oops :)

I dunno, personally I just think it looks a little tacky. I manage to keep mine clean with a simple hoober, no need for wet vac as long as you keep on top of it. Dry mud just comes off with the hoover, if it's wet then just wait :D

Associate
OP
Not the mileage, the traffic flow on the mats , small feet more effort, bags, crayons's, chocolate, the list goes on , I have stopped checking shoes now :D

I guess I don't have kids, so I would have no idea but it sounds like you need protectors on the seats, doorcards and everywhere else? Surely the mat is the easiest place to clean and if anything will suffer it is the seats?

Associate
OP
I do think some round twin exits on one side only looks best on the Mk7...

qMyvM1c.jpg

...my views are biased / based on the mk2 though where all the interesting variants still only had twin exits on the left (8v GTI, 16 GTI, G60, Syncro, Rallye).
I think the mk4 R32 worked because it was a V6 but since then they've all been 4 pots haven't they? Which for me, the maximum exits allowed on any 4 pot is twin on one side. Generally speaking I only like seeing multiple on proper super cars with V8 (and bigger) engines and RWD layout...but I am old fashioned. :p

You could be onto a winner here...

Associate
OP
Had a GTD as a company car since August. Its done just over 12K miles. Night Blue, Winter Pack, keyless entry and Discover Nav Pro. Only annoying thing so far is the rate it goes through screen wash probably due to having the headlight washers as well - had to refill 3 times this winter.

I have this problem too, so I have bought 25L concentrate for £13 which gets diluted at 10/1 so I have well quite a lot to see me through for £13!

I am quite tempted to unplug the headlight washer motor though...

Associate
OP
Off the top of my head it is carplan? My friend owns a garage, he got it from wherever he gets his parts from, maccess I think...

Back
Top Bottom