Who owns a Golf GTD / GTI / R?

Associate
Who here owns a Golf GTD/GTI/R? Show me yours!

I have had my Golf GTD for a few months now, I was toying between the GTD and R for about a year. I decided to go for the GTD due to doing a 65 mile round trip each day for work.

I've got every optional extra I think except electric folding mirrors and xenon headlights (Soon to change), but then again I am not sure if they were only ever offered on the GTI and R models. I opted for the cloth interior against the leather, I wasn't a fan of the last leather I had in a previous car.

xlmOu7sl.jpg

Main 'extras' that I love:
Heated seats (Always loved the design of the seats too, they are comfortable, nice looking and have good support)
RNS510 + Bluetooth
Cruise control
Adaptive/Adjustable suspension, comfort for work, sport for.. well :)

Last edited:
Soldato
Is this going to be like the BMW / Mondeo / Fiesta ST / MX5 thread...if so, I have a Golf GTI...although not quite the same generation as yours. :p

15006771991_27eaf1e39a_z.jpg

Associate
OP
Is this going to be like the BMW / Mondeo / Fiesta ST / MX5 thread...if so, I have a Golf GTI...although not quite the same generation as yours. :p

15006771991_27eaf1e39a_z.jpg

No reason why it can't!

I've always had a soft spot for that shape, when I was younger my friends uncle had one and we used to go out in it. I loved it, I am only 23 so I was probably around 12 at the time he had that, before he upgraded to a mk4 golf. They are a nice car, it's just hard to find a clean one these days.

EDIT: What wheels are they? Look like a mix of Borbet A and Compomotive MO's together :)

Soldato
Yeah, that's why mine has the primer splodges on the side. :p

Mine was a bit butchered before I bought it and to be fair, I prefer it for that, so anything I do isn't really such a shame as I'm not screwing up a previously nice example. As you say, it's hard to find a decent example these days, even knowing a lot of mk2 people it's still hard to find decent ones.

I always think it's a shame with modern cars when they don't come with projectors as quite a few old ones did (granted mine didn't come with them, I made them) and they look better on the cars whilst also providing better light.
Are you swapping out your lights for Xenons?

Soldato
I've got a Golf Plus GT TDi if that counts.

e: stuff it, here it is. like the b'tard love child of a golf and a touran. it's also got the "sport" model denotation.

IMG_0793_zps8df2249c.jpg

Just spent £1300 on Service, MOT and Cambelt. Needs another £1100 on rear springs and replacing the chocolate PD140-BKD dual mass. So presently off the road.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
Yeah, that's why mine has the primer splodges on the side. :p

Mine was a bit butchered before I bought it and to be fair, I prefer it for that, so anything I do isn't really such a shame as I'm not screwing up a previously nice example. As you say, it's hard to find a decent example these days, even knowing a lot of mk2 people it's still hard to find decent ones.

I always think it's a shame with modern cars when they don't come with projectors as quite a few old ones did (granted mine didn't come with them, I made them) and they look better on the cars whilst also providing better light.
Are you swapping out your lights for Xenons?

I am, but I am still un decided on what to do.. My options are:

Buy some HID's and fit them for £20-50 depending on quality
Cons: look poor from the front as no projector, blind loads of oncoming drivers
Pros: light the road up for me which is what I want :)
OR
Buy genuine headlights second hand
Cons: £450ish for the lights, plus adapter £50, plus new CECM as I don't have a highline one for some reason £110, the auto level sensors and random other extras around £100.
Pros: Genuine, lights should hold value, they have auto leveling and turning whatever it's called, IE they move left if I turn left...
OR
Ebay copies
Cons: Copies, manual adjuster for height, doesn't have left and right turning motion.
Pros: Look decent, have the LED look I want and lights up the road for about £400, eg: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/181667243895?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK:MEBIDX:IT
5QKow0Tl.jpg

I keep going towards the first option, purely because it seems so much to spend on the other two options... But, the other two looks so much better!

Last edited:
Soldato
Don't do the first option, it's bad and annoying. OEM is best but wow at £700+ just for headlights...that's rather a silly chunk of cash just for some better light output. I suppose the corner turning stuff is a bit more advanced so some of the cost can be blamed on that but still.
Personally I'd be tempted to go with the copies if I decided I had to change to xenons, but equally I'd probably just leave it stock at that sort of price.

nam

nam

Soldato
I have a 64 Plate R , Just over 2000 miles so far, Can't complain with the performance :) . Pic's are some where on this forum :)

Associate
OP
Don't do the first option, it's bad and annoying. OEM is best but wow at £700+ just for headlights...that's rather a silly chunk of cash just for some better light output. I suppose the corner turning stuff is a bit more advanced so some of the cost can be blamed on that but still.
Personally I'd be tempted to go with the copies if I decided I had to change to xenons, but equally I'd probably just leave it stock at that sort of price.

This is why I have been debating so long, I don't want to be that c*ck that blinds everyone, but I want HID/xenon lighting in the car. I hate halogen bulbs with a passion!

Even at the price of copies, it is quite expensive and makes me think once I am in that territory I might as well go all out for the genuine...

I have a 64 Plate R , Just over 2000 miles so far, Can't complain with the performance :) . Pic's are some where on this forum :)

Awesome, did you get it brand new/or is it leased? I'm guessing you didn't get it used with it being so low miles and so new?

nam

nam

Soldato
This is why I have been debating so long, I don't want to be that c*ck that blinds everyone, but I want HID/xenon lighting in the car. I hate halogen bulbs with a passion!

Even at the price of copies, it is quite expensive and makes me think once I am in that territory I might as well go all out for the genuine...

Awesome, did you get it brand new/or is it leased? I'm guessing you didn't get it used with it being so low miles and so new?

Brand new (leased) with the DSG DCC and WinterPack as the only options added on a already very highly spec'd car.. Happy enough for now :D

Associate
My 63 plate GTI, one of the best cars I have ever owned. One thing I didn't like is the engine sound piped through a speaker on the firewall, that was disconnected straight away and new 'love/hate' exhaust fitted, I love it and that is all that counts.

Associate
OP
Brand new (leased) with the DSG DCC and WinterPack as the only options added on a already very highly spec'd car.. Happy enough for now :D

I have DSG too, I wasn't sure I would like it as I loved the feel of 'being in control' but I actually really love it, it is nice to drive and if I get bored I can always put it in semi manual and use the shift stick!

My 63 plate GTI, one of the best cars I have ever owned. One thing I didn't like is the engine sound piped through a speaker on the firewall, that was disconnected straight away and new 'love/hate' exhaust fitted, I love it and that is all that counts.

Very nice, the MK7's are smart! What exhaust did you go for, is it a custom made or just an off the shelf?

Currently driving a MK4 Golf GTI 2.0 :D

This post is useless without pictures :)

Soldato

I do like the mk7, just a shame about the multiple exhausts (I know R32 etc. had them), it'd look spot on with just the twin on the left as per the older ones, bit more subtle etc.

Currently driving a MK4 Golf GTI 2.0 :D

That the one with less power than my mk2 1.8 8v? :p

Associate
OP
I do like the mk7, just a shame about the multiple exhausts (I know R32 etc. had them), it'd look spot on with just the twin on the left as per the older ones, bit more subtle etc.

I agree, although I like the look of the exhaust he has put on it was more the design of the exit pipe. It was something that put me off the MK7, the MK6 does have a better design but I think they have tried to go with 'more is better and means it's more powerful and faster looking', which simply did not work.

nam

nam

Soldato
I have DSG too, I wasn't sure I would like it as I loved the feel of 'being in control' but I actually really love it, it is nice to drive and if I get bored I can always put it in semi manual and use the shift stick!

Very nice, the MK7's are smart! What exhaust did you go for, is it a custom made or just an off the shelf?

This post is useless without pictures :)

Don't forget the benefit's of DSG with ACC it brings the car to a complete stop and starts again without you having to touch a pedal :) and the lovely fart :D noise on upshifts and downshift's unique to the DSG

Going to get some updated Pic's tomorrow as i have just wrapped the interior mat's today in sticky plastic to prevent dust, water and other damage :)

Last edited:

nam

nam

Soldato

Very Nice :) What is that Color ?

Back
Top Bottom