whois opt-out - liability

Soldato
I have had someone contact me saying their personal domain has suddenly changed from "uk non-trading individual with whois opt-out" to "uk individual no opt-out".

No one contacted them informing them of changes.

I told them to open a support ticket with 123-reg as that's who the domain is registered thru and they were told they have to write a letter (snail mail) asking for the data/logs relating to the account changes & also pay £10 in order to obtain it.

I'm not really sure what the law is regarding this but from the customers point of view, her information is now cached on whois showing her name, address etc & she was not contacted when the changes were made.
Personally I would say 123-reg should have an obligation to say why the account was changed and who changed it without any further fees :confused: & 123-reg should have contacted the customer informing them of changes as they happened.

Soldato
Login to Nominet for the domain and find out as once the domain is registered Nominet is where registrant changes are made on uk domains.

Soldato
OP
Login to Nominet for the domain and find out as once the domain is registered Nominet is where registrant changes are made on uk domains.
They got the whois back to opt-out by contacting 123-reg, I think it's just the fact nominet/123reg changed it without notifying anyone.

It looks like the only thing you can do on the nominet site is change settings, they want to see who changed it and why it was changed.

daz

daz

Soldato
If Nominet believe a domain is being used for commercial/business purposes (and even something as small as a Google adsense block would count as this) then they will remove the WHOIS opt-out from the domain name. They will normally give you advance warning of this occurring via the email address that they have on file.

Back
Top Bottom