Whole house audio - Chromecast alternative or something else

Associate
Hey all,

Apologies if this has been asked before or it isn't the right place but I can't find an up to date answer for what I am looking for so I am hoping someone may be able to help me :)

A while ago I bought a load of Nest Audios, Google Homes and Chromecast Audios to rig up in the house and in the garage to a receiver that runs two sets of outdoor speakers.

Overall, the system works really well and allows the devices to be grouped into multiple groups which can seemlessly play audio without delays. My only gripe with it is that if the internet goes out then due to the way Chromecast stuff works you can't cast to the groups and all the devices disconnect from the WiFi even though most media we stream to the is local from an Emby server.

Recently I've been thinking about expanding them however I would like to move towards a system that supports a "fully local" setup as whilst our internet doesn't go off often it's kind of annoying that it kills the home audio if/when it does.

Likewise Chromecast Audios were discontinued a while ago and getting a hold of the left over ones means paying 4-6x the price they were sold at for something which Google might decide to bin off in a few years time.

I've had a look at a few systems such as Sonos, WiiM etc but all seem to have pros/cons that are less balanced than the used CCAs. Ideally I would like to have a system that can work with the following:
  • Stream audio from phones/PCs
  • Stream from Emby or SMB shares
  • Support multiple audio groups
  • Be able to connect to a seperate amp/receiver/speakers
  • Possibly have their own speakers (For smaller rooms)
  • Connect to Home Assistant to manage volume levels
So far I have found the following options:
  • WiiM - Works similar to CCA and supports casting however unsure if this will have the same issue of needing to be online all the time, fairly pricey but not obtusely expensive, unsure how volume levels are managed
  • Wired speakers - Seems to be the most agnostic solution since you can just swap out the central receiver but a massive pain in the butt to run cables to all ends of the house, relies on having decent seperate speakers and a central app, also unsure on how volume levels would be managed remotely
  • Sonos - Has its own casting system and doesn't support Google Cast, can use receiver units or IKEA/Sonos speakers, can work offline, quite expensive but the most well known, eco system which is pretty locked down
  • Snapcast - Uses Raspberri Pi and some addon boards, vendor agnositc and just needs connecting to a seperate amp, looks to be the cheaper of the options but potentially very faffy to setup and maintain
Anyone who has had similar ideas before or setups I'd be interested to know your thoughts and what you ended up doing :)

Soldato
There's Wiim amp, you then add stereo speakers. Or if you don't want the amp, wiim pro plus or ultra when it's out. You have a fairly specific use of audio. They will stream from your NAS server no problem.

Wiim Pro Plus has BT receiver so you can transmit from your phone to the PP

I just use Squeezeboxes with Pi5 as a LMS server, that works well. Plus with Softsqueeze it's one I'd get .

I wouldn't touch Sonos.

For each room need to decide what audio system you want. Single active speaker? Ceiling speaker? Bookshelf passive speakers? Small sub/sat system? Bookshelf active speakers? Hifi? Home theatre? etc.

Last edited:
Associate
OP
There's Wiim amp, you then add stereo speakers. Or if you don't want the amp, wiim pro plus or ultra when it's out. You have a fairly specific use of audio. They will stream from your NAS server no problem.

Wiim Pro Plus has BT receiver so you can transmit from your phone to the PP

I just use Squeezeboxes with Pi5 as a LMS server, that works well. Plus with Softsqueeze it's one I'd get .

I wouldn't touch Sonos.

For each room need to decide what audio system you want. Single active speaker? Ceiling speaker? Bookshelf passive speakers? Small sub/sat system? Bookshelf active speakers? Hifi? Home theatre? etc.
Thank you for the info :)

Generally speaking the rooms will be:

3x Single active speaker
1x Hi-Fi or Bookshelf active speakers
2x Hi-Fi/Outdoor Amp (Outdoor speakers connected to amps)

The WiiM amps look good but definitely pricey

For the RPis and Squeeze how do you have it setup, do you have it behind an amp etc? :)

Soldato
You could get three Wiim minis for the active speakers, Velcro stick them to the back of the speaker hidden away and have a decent streamer/active speaker
For Hifi if you are using analogue out of the media player, get pro plus or ultra
You'd be looking for weatherproof speakers, and suitable cabling for outdoors use

Need to figure what for Hifi, budget, speaker brand and type etc.

Wiim amp has built in subwoofer integration, high pass so for a 2.1 system it's pretty good, and for the price it's a bargain. It's not pricey haha. Wiims will be getting room EQ in the future, and they even have PEQ so get a lot for your money.

Raspberry Pi5 has pircoreplayer installed that has LMS (that's a music database scanner) Music on my NAS, and each room has Squeezebox Touch/classic/radio

Associate
OP
You could get three Wiim minis for the active speakers, Velcro stick them to the back of the speaker hidden away and have a decent streamer/active speaker
For Hifi if you are using analogue out of the media player, get pro plus or ultra
You'd be looking for weatherproof speakers, and suitable cabling for outdoors use

Need to figure what for Hifi, budget, speaker brand and type etc.

Wiim amp has built in subwoofer integration, high pass so for a 2.1 system it's pretty good, and for the price it's a bargain. It's not pricey haha. Wiims will be getting room EQ in the future, and they even have PEQ so get a lot for your money.

Raspberry Pi5 has pircoreplayer installed that has LMS (that's a music database scanner) Music on my NAS, and each room has Squeezebox Touch/classic/radio
I see :)

You are right, it looks like I need to see what speakers I want as this could get pricey haha, I like the idea of the minis on the back of the active speakers then the pro units for inside the garage.

I guess the search is on for decent speakers now as for the single rooms I'm trying to keep it to under £100ish but I might have to up that for decent ones :)

Soldato
Decent speakers cost more than £100. You're not going to get anything under £100 they'll be speaker shaped objects.

I'd say something like a acoustics 3020i or wharfedale diamond 9.1 that sort of thing as a starter budget speaker. For main room want a sub with those standmounts plus stands. Standmounts might not provide enough bass in a larger room. Speaker and RCA cable. Coaxial/optical cable from wiim to your amp if it has that connection otherwise be stereo RCA.

Good towers somewhere close to £1000. I'd avoid cheap towers, instead get standmounts as you'll get better quality for your money.

I'd set aside a couple of thousand for your whole system..
Rather than expect to get everything for contents of a Yorkshire man's wallet

Associate
OP
Decent speakers cost more than £100. You're not going to get anything under £100 they'll be speaker shaped objects.

I'd say something like a acoustics 3020i or wharfedale diamond 9.1 that sort of thing as a starter budget speaker. For main room want a sub with those standmounts plus stands. Standmounts might not provide enough bass in a larger room. Speaker and RCA cable. Coaxial/optical cable from wiim to your amp if it has that connection otherwise be stereo RCA.

Good towers somewhere close to £1000. I'd avoid cheap towers, instead get standmounts as you'll get better quality for your money.

I'd set aside a couple of thousand for your whole system..
Rather than expect to get everything for contents of a Yorkshire man's wallet
It looks like this is going to be a long project but you are right it looks like if I want something that sounds decent I'll have to save up for it!

The 3020i units look decent so I might start with a pair of them and see how they sound. :)

Soldato
Best have a demo of a few speaker brands to get idea of sound signature you like. Same for amplifiers as well. Go to a few hifi and AV shops

I wouldn't recommend bright speakers they may grab your attention in demo but over time you'll tire of them.

I've owned quite a few brands over the years. Butter are probably 100 speakers brands so way short of that. Going to hifi and AV trade shows will help as you can demo dozens of speakers in day.

Associate
It looks like this is going to be a long project but you are right it looks like if I want something that sounds decent I'll have to save up for it!

The 3020i units look decent so I might start with a pair of them and see how they sound. :)

I think going for components, like you're doing, is a good shout. If you were to buy a load of Sonos speakers, then you're absolutely hoping that they'll stay working / supported etc. Whereas if you buy decent speakers, and a decent amp, you can then buy a decent streamer-device (looks like the Wiim stuff might well do, although I've no experience of it personally). If you later discover that some new streaming system is out which works better, you don't have to chuck away the investments you've made into speakers and amplifiers - particularly if you've (perhaps?) invested in in-ceiling speakers or similar.

EDIT: Also, definitely check out secondhand stuff (here, avforums, etc). A lot of home audio gear falls into the camp of "working" or "not" in my experience; older hifi separates can often be picked up quite cheaply. Similarly, for rooms which you don't care about, little Class D amplifiers can be remarkably punchy for their small size; look for the Lepy LP-2020A as an example of such a thing. These can easily be concealed away - and they run fairly cool too, even at higher volume settings, which might be useful. Could be worth starting with a few of these, and then making strategic upgrades for the rooms where the audio quality matters more.

Last edited:
Soldato
The following is my experience of the Wiim Pro

The Wiim has great software support and I find it's android app very good.

If you require a DAC get the Wiim Pro Plus. The DAC in the Wiim Pro is low quality, I expect DAC in Wiim mini will be similar low quality. The lower quality DAC's in the Pro and mini might be ok if it's just background music, but not serious listening.

The Wiim also sounds worse on WiFi, ethernet is better. I disable WiFi on mine. I'm using galvanically isolated ethernet also. Wiim's own help guides say it's WiFi can cause interference and to switch to ethernet if that's the case.

The key thing with the Wiim Pro and Plus, is there cheap devices, so they ship with a cheap PSU to keep cost down, cheap plastic case so poor shielding and poor RFI filtering. I'm currently running a iFi IPower2 on mine.

I use a Wiim Pro optically connected into the DAC inside a Yamaha CD-S2100, it's honestly audiophile grade but I've had to work around it's limitations.

Back
Top Bottom