Who's your one club legend? Give it up for the little teams.

Soldato
Lets give it up for the legends at smaller clubs.

First up - Mr Hugh "shuggie" Murray. St Mirren's midfield dynamo. He's spent his entire career at one club.

He played his first game for St Mirren in 1996, 15 years later he has played his 459th game in the recent 0-1 defeat to Hamilton, unfortunately, the 459th game was the record, taking over from Tony Fitzpatrick and shuggy managed to get crocked within ten minutes of the record breaking game!

Hugh scored the goal to keep Saints in the first division back in 1997 and became a club legend, he's been offered a new contract at the age of 32 after winning back his place in the side, something he has done when written off four or five times.

Id love to hear from fans of smaller clubs who want to big up your legends, lets hear all about him.

Soldato
OP
Its an impressive tally and an impressive guy, but the spirit of the thread really was for guys people hadnt heard off. I know theres a few guys at Scotland who have spent careers at one club like Ross Tokely, but I dont know many in England other than the famous guys like Le Tissier and Jamie Carragher.

Soldato
OP
Actually, although it is Man Utd, I think Giggs is the epitome of a great one club legend, he could have gone and taken bigger bucks elsewhere (lets face it, quite a few do leave Utd for that reason, they are notorious for not being the best payers), but to do it for a full twenty years is pretty staggering when you think about it, to still be a regular in a team that has been the best team for that long is amazing.

Soldato
OP
Man Utd also seem to be more proficient at churning out guys who dont want to move elsewhere, im sure Neville could have got another couple of years on big money somewhere else but he chose to retire, Scholes and Giggs will be the same.

Soldato
OP
Kevin O'Connor - Brentford

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kevin_O%27Connor_%28footballer_born_1982%29

Played 380 league games for us, plus countless cup games and others. Had his testimonial when he was 28 years old!! Also he's pretty much played in every position across defense, midfield and up front.

Very dependable footballer, but has developed an aversion to passing the ball forwards.

Thats the kind of guy the thread was created for. My original post - he had a testimonial for us when he was 27.

I wonder how many players have ever had two testimonials.

Soldato
OP
Partick Thistle -

Probably Alan Rough. 410 appearances up to 1982, over 50 caps and a member of the team that beat Celtic 4-1 in the cup final in 1971. Notable mentions in the "modern" football era to Alan Hansen, Mo Johnston and Chic Charnley. Chic still has a lot of affection from Thistle fans and other two went on to greater things.

I loved Chic too although he never really did it for the Saints, still he was great for interaction with the fans as you well know.

Soldato
OP
Soldato
OP
It would be easy for me to say Noel Cantwell or Terry Bly but I never saw them play so can't really say they would be my legend although they certainly are legends at the club.

For me it would be Ken Charlery, fantastic goal scorer for the club and his play-off final goals in '92 really made him a firm favourite of mine. Great player and a good guy all round, still involved in the club today.

What team mate, Peterborough? (from your location)

Back
Top Bottom