Why are all my games crashing?

Man of Honour
Remove the discreet graphics card and use the on chip graphics,
Do you have a spare GPU? Try a other one see if that works. If not, remove the GPU anyway and try running some games with onboard video drivers and see if it still crash.

This..

Also try removing one stick of RAM at a time to see if there's a problem.. Run memtest86 to verify the RAM is ok?

Associate
OP
Ok, just to update; I've even tried underclocking my GPU but I'm still randomly crashing.

I've underclocked the core by 200~mhz and the Memory by 100~mhz. I've never touched GPU clocks before so I don't know if this is enough to really make a difference without causing any further damage?

Looks like it's time to test the RAM one stick at a time...

Soldato
The fact it is simply exiting to desktop with no other errors is odd.

These problems are difficult to narrow down, people will say "Hey, this fixed it for me" but 9 times out of 10, it will be a unique problem with a solution nobody has thought of. Sure, sometimes stuff just fails but in my experiences anyway, it is not the norm for "core" components to fail. I have known problems similar to this be narrowed down to a faulty case power/reseat switch. Oh yeah, thinking of that, do not forget to reset the case mobo header connectors.

If the problems started exclusively after after moving the PC, then reseat all components, SATA cables, power cables etc. Also, as you are running a modular PSU, reseat all cables in there too if you have not already done so? Including GPU power connectors.

Try with single DIMM at a time to rule out RAM fault. Quicker than a memtest IMO.

Does your GPU have a second BIOS you could try?

Best of luck, hope you get it sorted soon.

The gaming gods can be ***** sometimes :D

Last edited:
Associate
OP
trying the igpu?
How does one go about testing the internal gpu to confirm it is infact a faulty GPU?

reset the case mobo header connectors.
Is this a simple case of unplugging then plugging them back in?

If testing one RAM stick at a time doesn't get me anywhere I'm definitely going to re-plug everything in.

Caporegime
In my experience, artefacts and crashing to desktop with a direct x error rather than a system crash (BSOD message etc) points towards a faulty GPU, had this very same issue with my lads rig, which was my old machine that had worked perfectly, he kept complaining it would crash to desktop randomly when running Battlefield 2 but ran Minecraft for hours without a hitch, equally he could watch YouTube for hours without problems- I swapped the GTX260 that was in it for a GTX 580 and it’s not crashed since.

Soldato

Yes, just that :D

Sorry, I meant to put "reseat" and not "reset".

Also, another random, maybe pointless point but you never know... try plugging the PC directly into mains socket if you are using a surge protected socket or something or something different to before the computer was moved.

Associate
As odd as it may sound, do you have a spare Power supply you can try? I've had a few occasions where a power supply was at fault in similar situations.

Soldato
Have you tried using ddu to remove driver and switching to an old version as the latest nvidias have a lot of problems.

Soldato
I have thought of rolling back, but wasn't sure how far. I have read people are still using 382.53 Jun 09, 2017 and running new releases fine so I might give that a go too.

yeah try that,

In the past I had crashing and it turned out to be faulty ssd drive and another time it was memory clocked to high.

Soldato
Tried rolling back to 382.53 and still crashed.

I've ruled out memory clock. I underclocked by 200mhz~ and I was still crashing.

I would test out your ram sticks one at a time and see if it still crashes.

Also get another ssd install windows on it and see if it works. If it doesn't work at least you can still keep your current install. If it does work then you know it's either your ssd or a bad install.

Associate
How does one go about testing the internal gpu to confirm it is infact a faulty GPU?

If testing one RAM stick at a time doesn't get me anywhere I'm definitely going to re-plug everything in.

Remove your gpu and connect your display to the output on your io panel - they directly connect to the igpu on your 7600

Associate
Yeah, I meant do I need to run any stress tests or is it just to see if it works?

Ahh sorry, if you can you could run some benchmarks, but I'd say your best bet is just use the pc normally, trying playing a game that would normally crash frequently, obv. You'l have to lower game settings but I'd be trying to replicate the issue you're getting with the gpu installed - if it does happen with the igpu then it is a problem with something else in your pc, if it doesnt crash then it very likely it's a gpu issue (I did see someone mention psu and I wouldnt rule it out just yet, try testing with the igpu for now)

Soldato
I was having the same issue, turned out that my gpu power cables were slightly loose (6 and 8 pin ones that plug in), forced them in a bit more than I did before and haven't had an issue since.

Back
Top Bottom